UL 'all in one' alternative to the Jetboil?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jesse Gibbs
(jessewg) - F

Locale: Northern California
UL 'all in one' alternative to the Jetboil? on 05/25/2009 10:04:11 MDT Print View

So I'm steadily trimming the last few ounces from my gear list, and one of the 'luxury items' that I'm having a hard time parting with is my Jetboil, I like the all-in-one nature of it, not to mention the reliability (It will fire up even in a stiff breeze).

The downside is that it weights in around 1lb. I would love to find a UL option with similar functionality at about half the weight. If I have to pull componentry together myself, that's OK, I just need something super-compact and self-contained.

Any suggestions/experiences are much appreciated!

Jesse

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Locale: Ozarks
UL 'all in one' alternative to the Jetboil? on 05/25/2009 10:11:22 MDT Print View

I'm sure many of us would love to have the same thing. If you could engineer one you'd make a million.

Chris Chastain
(Thangfish) - F

Locale: S. Central NC, USA
Re: UL 'all in one' alternative to the Jetboil? on 05/25/2009 10:43:03 MDT Print View

Ultralight Outfitters Beer Can Esbit Stove

Elegant, cheap, simple, light, efficient, sturdy, and compact.

Edited by Thangfish on 05/25/2009 10:46:04 MDT.

Robert Bryant
(KG4FAM) - F

Locale: Upstate
Re: UL 'all in one' alternative to the Jetboil? on 05/25/2009 11:13:07 MDT Print View

I use a Evernew .9L pot with a Snow Peak LiteMax stove. Once you throw the canister in the pot the stove fits nicely. I think the two weigh about 6 ounces together.

Edited by KG4FAM on 05/25/2009 15:00:43 MDT.

Kevin Da Silva
(kdasilva) - F
Snow Peak on 05/25/2009 12:26:44 MDT Print View

I would check out a Snow Peak setup ... I had the Jetboil and after some digging found it ...

Snow Peak Stove w/auto ignite - 104grams/3.7ounces
Snow Peak Pot (A few models are very light)- 150grams/5.3ounces

You should be able to get the stove into the pot.

Personally I have the GSI Soloist. Its a bit heavier but a luxury I allow myself.

Comes at a total 9 ounces which is just about half. Of course you could always go with a homemade setup.

Edited by kdasilva on 05/25/2009 12:29:45 MDT.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"UL 'all in one' alternative to the Jetboil?" on 05/25/2009 12:46:53 MDT Print View

The Trail Designs Caldera Cone option of your pot choice would achieve the same results as the Jetboil, boiled water, with similar functionality albeit the alcohol route. This kit really is the "UL" alternative to the Jetboil. The setup has efficient fuel consumption, integrated windscreen/pot stand, case, and is affordable if you already own a pot that is compatible with the Caldera Cone setup, which I believe is most, check their website.

I might be beating a dead horse and you probably are familiar with the Caldera Cone kit, so sorry if I'm stating the obvious, you never know, but I really think it is the best "UL" alternative to your Jetboil, if you can break away from the canister.

John Haley
(Quoddy) - F

Locale: New York/Vermont Border
Re: UL 'all in one' alternative to the Jetboil? on 05/25/2009 13:21:53 MDT Print View

As a former JetBoil user, I've found the the Vargo TiJet (2.7oz) combined with a FireLite pot/lid (2.75oz) is working almost as well. Not quite as wind proof or fast lighting, but so very much lighter.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
UL 'all in one' alternative to the Jetboil on 05/25/2009 13:41:01 MDT Print View

"As a former JetBoil user, I've found the the Vargo TiJet (2.7oz) combined with a FireLite pot/lid (2.75oz) is working almost as well. Not quite as wind proof or fast lighting, but so very much lighter."

+1

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
UL 'all in one' alternative to the Jetboil? on 05/25/2009 15:55:32 MDT Print View

The Snow Peak Lite Max, Vargo TiJet and Kovea Titanium Mini are all from Kovea. Same burner, slightly different features.
Franco
Kovea is a Korean company located in Bu-Cheon City.

Edited by Franco on 05/25/2009 16:16:11 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: UL 'all in one' alternative to the Jetboil? on 05/25/2009 15:56:26 MDT Print View

Most any small upright canister stove with a Ti pot would be much lighter!

The Snow Peak models and the Vargo Jet-Ti (and the Kovea KB0101 and KB0707) are recommended. The MSR Pocket Rocket is not: pot supports are bendy.
BPL makes some fine pots ...

Cheers

Henry Blake
(Dragon) - F

Locale: Minnesota
Your Spelling's Correct on 05/25/2009 16:07:50 MDT Print View

When I quickly read this, I thought you misspelled "Korea" the second time you wrote "Kovea"--that the stoves were all "from" there. Then I realized that I was mistaken. You meant that they were all made by the Chinese company named "Kovea".

Mark Hurd
(markhurd) - M

Locale: South Texas
Re: UL 'all in one' alternative to the Jetboil? on 05/25/2009 19:14:59 MDT Print View

Jesse,

Caldera Cone is my recommendation. Very stable, consistent, wind proof (or darn close), directs the heat to the pot (like a jetboil), fast boil times in the 4.5-6.5 min for 2 cups of 60*F water depending on the pot you use. Take only the alcohol fuel you need.

My Caldera Keg system weighs- Total for keg (beer can pot), stove, cone, lid, & stuff sack is 2.82 oz (80g).

Worth a look.

http://www.traildesigns.com/index.html

-Mark

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

alternative to the Jetboil? on 05/25/2009 19:44:23 MDT Print View

Y'all are missing the point. With a Jetboil you have a unit that stays together in one unit. I've made coffee while driving down the highway, canoeing down a river, and hiking down a trail. Caldera cones and beer cans aren't the equivalent of a Jetboil.

Jesse Gibbs
(jessewg) - F

Locale: Northern California
UL 'all in one' alternative to the Jetboil? on 05/25/2009 20:42:47 MDT Print View

Wow, I trust my jetboil, and have definitely eaten in the car, but cooking in the car definitely takes it to the next level! ;)

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
UL 'all in one' alternative to the Jetboil? on 05/25/2009 20:56:59 MDT Print View

Good point Tom.
The only similar system is the Kovea Alpine Pot, however the Korean version is about 100g (3.5 oz) heavier..
Franco

Mark Hurd
(markhurd) - M

Locale: South Texas
Re: alternative to the Jetboil? on 05/25/2009 21:05:16 MDT Print View

Tom,

I really don't think I'm missing the point.

Jesse said "If I have to pull componentry together myself, that's OK, I just need something super-compact and self-contained." I don't deny the jetboil is a great unit. Cooking while driving was not in the list of requirements:-) The Caldera Cone is just one of several suggestion and the Caldera Keg system is more compact than the Jetboil. As to lighter wt->

jetboil system = 15 oz
caldera keg system = 2.82oz

I rest my case.

Happy Trails,
-Mark

Edited by markhurd on 05/25/2009 21:06:08 MDT.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: alternative to the Jetboil? on 05/25/2009 21:11:30 MDT Print View

I think to make it a fair comparison, the weight of the keg should include the windscreen, pot, stove and cozy. It should also include the weight savings for fuel and container weight for trips shorter than ~5 days (eg for an overnight trip the Keg becomes particularly more weight competitive). I also consider the stability of the Keg to be a bonus. The top canister systems all suffer from the inherent insability of having a narrow base and tall profile. The biggest down side for the Keg is speed to get a boil, and having to assemble/dis-assemble the system. But the weight savings are so significant that it has to be a contender..?

I wouldn't use either system while driving !!!

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

UL 'all in one' alternative to the Jetboil? on 05/25/2009 21:52:09 MDT Print View

It wouldn't be so hard to use the Jetboil while driving if the stupid ignitor would work!

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: alternative to the Jetboil? on 05/25/2009 22:13:13 MDT Print View

Hi Lynn

> The top canister systems all suffer from the inherent instability of having a narrow base and tall profile.
Um ... dunno what canister you have been using, but a standard 230 g canister is wide and low. I have found the combo with a Snow Peak extremely stable.

Even the 450 g canister, which is a bit high, is stable enough sitting on a scrap of plywood. We have cooked for two through Europe for many months on the 450 g canisters with a Snow Peak and never once come near spilling anything.

Well, works for us.

Cheers

Derek Goffin
(Derekoak)

Locale: North of England
"UL 'all in one' alternative to the Jetboil?" on 05/26/2009 07:07:37 MDT Print View

I cut my jetboil down so that it weighs 300 gram (10.7 ounces). It is still all in one.