Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » How thin can a baffled down quilt be?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
How thin can a baffled down quilt be? on 05/22/2009 18:01:32 MDT Print View

I'm considering the idea of making a lightweight summer quilt using baffled, down construction. The question is, how thin can I make the baffles and still be practical?

I'm considering 1" tall baffles and fill them to an average thickness of 1.5" Also, my theory is that the baffle spacing is a relationship to the baffle height. In other words, the taller the baffles - the further apart they should be. The short 1" baffles would then require a spacing of about 3"-4" apart.

I know that I could do the sewn-thru method but, the idea of non-uniform insulation just doesn't sit well with me.

Does anyone have experience with making a very thin, baffled down garment?

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
How thin can a baffle down quilt be? on 05/22/2009 18:16:42 MDT Print View

Tom, of nunatak, uses a .75" baffle for for his 40* summer quilt.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Re: How thin can a baffle down quilt be? on 05/22/2009 18:31:55 MDT Print View

Yikes! That's thin. Do you know what the spacing is?

I looked at the NunatakUSA site and all the Arc quilts look like they have the same number of baffles no matter what the thickness or temp. rating is. So, maybe my theory that baffle height and spacing are related is "hog wash."

:-)

Edited by mad777 on 05/22/2009 18:40:54 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: How thin can a baffle down quilt be? on 05/22/2009 19:19:51 MDT Print View

> maybe my theory that baffle height and spacing are related is "hog wash."

Nope! You were right the first time.

Cheers

Thomas Conly
(conly) - F - M

Locale: Lots of canoeing and snow
Re: How thin can a baffled down quilt be? on 05/22/2009 22:58:27 MDT Print View

I just finished making a quilt with 1" baffles and 1.5" loft. I put the baffles 5" apart and I don't think any closer would have made a difference. In fact if you make the baffles too small I could see clumps forming which would be hard to shake loose in such a confined space. I don't think you'll be disappointed with 5" baffles. I figured when I made mine that if the down shifted too much I'd sew one or two vertical baffles afterward a la western mountaineering.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Re: How thin can a baffled down quilt be? on 05/23/2009 09:04:39 MDT Print View

Thanks for sharing your experience!