Forum Index » GEAR » NeoAir in a Ptarmigan Bivy

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Short NeoAir and Raven on 10/07/2009 19:07:06 MDT Print View

Would a short NeoAir in one of the larger Raven bivies be OK? I am a side sleeper in the fetal position so need the space. The only real alternative seems to be the MLD Soul Side Zip, but it is expensive. I also think the full net hood design on the Ti Goat bivys is excellent. I tried the NeoAir out at a retailers yesterday and was impressed with the comfort, but not the insane New Zealand prices of about USD 300 for a regular.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
short neo on 10/14/2009 09:41:54 MDT Print View

bump for this question- I might consider going to a short

thanks in advance

Tyson Marshall
(sheepNgeese) - MLife

Locale: Ventura County (formerly PNW)
TiGoat Bivy - Info on 12/16/2010 13:10:39 MST Print View

I've been perusing these forums looking for answers to various TiGoat bivy questions. Instead of looking TOO hard, I decided to shoot a few questions over to TiGoat. (It sounds like they are working on putting additional information/pictures on their website) I think they just moved locations and must be extremely busy, but they still had time to answer a few of my questions...

Some information I gathered: (Josh, Dj - feel free to chime in with any additional information)

A summary of questions I asked:

"A bivy that will accommodate the following:

Ridgerest Regular (Max 72")
Short Neo Air
Me (5' 8")
(in an earlier email I also mention my sleeping bag: 800 Fill, 15 Degree Bag - Mountain Hardwear Phantom)

The Raven seems like it would be too long for me - I'm short! :) - but the Ptarmigan seems like it would be too narrow for the neoair, correct?

Is there some sort of compromise?

Josh's summary:

"...The Raven Omni is essentially a Ptarmigan that has the dual zip option, and a wider foot for pads. The extra length is a bit decieving, as the extra length is a function of extra width, its not stated very well on the website...I'd go the Omni route... the Omni will only accept a bug net hood, and not a window. And when you have the bug net hood in the bivy, the zipper does not open as full as it would without out the bug net. With out bug net, the bivy zipper will zip from hip, up acroos the chest, and down to the opposite hip. With the bug net it will only open from hip, up across the chest, but not down to the other hip. But, it will open this way from either right or left. We really need to get pictures, prices and specs up on the website. The Raven Omni is ~7.1oz, and $130, a bug net hood is an additional $20..."

Hope this helps others that might have similar questions or was unsure...

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
raven on 12/17/2010 07:37:30 MST Print View

Tyson- thanks for the info :) I ended getting the newer model MLD Superlight- fits great w/ a full sized neo- even enough room to add an additional ccf if needed

Mike