Trip Recommendations w/in 1 day drive of SE Iowa
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jay Campbell
(gohawks) - F

Locale: SE Iowa
Trip Recommendations w/in 1 day drive of SE Iowa on 05/18/2009 08:56:46 MDT Print View

I need to get out. Plain and simple.

The problem is that there is really nowhere to go, lol.

I'm looking for a 3 day/2 night trip within a 1 day drive of SE Iowa.

I planned on something in the Ozarks near Potosi. But from what I gather the storms knocked down 1000's of trees?

For reference here are some distances.

12 hrs to Boulder, CO (Rockies)
14 hrs to Buffalo, WY (Big Horns)
12 hrs to GSMNP (Smokies)
11 hrs to Hot Springs, AR (Quachitas)
6 hrs to Carbondale, IL (?)
5 hrs to Potosi, MO (Ozarks)

Help!!!!

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Trip Recommendations w/in 1 day drive of SE Iowa on 05/18/2009 10:43:15 MDT Print View

Jay,

Your avatar suggests you are in Iowa City.

The near end of the Superior Hiking Trail is 7.5 hours from there, about 10 hours to the far end. 205 miles of fine trail between the two ends.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Trip Recommendations w/in 1 day drive of SE Iowa on 05/18/2009 10:57:35 MDT Print View

1. Any part of the North Country Trail is close and has excellent hiking through WI and MI.

3. Michigan's U.P. is home to the backpacker-friendly Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park.

Jay Campbell
(gohawks) - F

Locale: SE Iowa
I should add... on 05/18/2009 11:21:09 MDT Print View

I'm very much a novice. I don't mind a challenge but prefer a well marked trail at this time.

I'm not a high mileage speed hiker, nor am I anywhere near a plodder.

William Puckett
(Beep) - F

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes
Second vote for Superior Hiking Trail on 05/18/2009 12:29:54 MDT Print View

Well marked, well managed, shuttle available, good guidebooks...'nuff said.

Check out the Superior Hiking Trail Association website.

Sara Crockrell
(Jon) - MLife

Locale: SE Missouri and NW Arkansas
Re: Trip Recommendations w/in 1 day drive of SE Iowa on 05/19/2009 09:09:39 MDT Print View

If you want to stick with the Ozarks, the Eleven Point section of the Ozark Trail was apparently unaffected by the storm. If it isn't long enough, you can add some of the Between the Rivers section to it. The Eleven Point section is really nice, and it's less than 2 hours south of Potosi, depending on where you access it. The best time to hike it has already passed, though. Same with the Ouachitas -- it was already hot, weedy, and tick-infested in late April when we were there.

sheila o
(bumpass) - F

Locale: The Far Left Coast? : /
IOWA on 05/19/2009 20:32:50 MDT Print View

What about my stumpping grounds in NE IOWA near Decorah or Bluffton? Near the Upper Iowa river are some trails, but don't know the names. Also areas along the Mississippi River just inland??

Good Luck

an ole iowan