Pliers, scissors, locking blade
Display Avatars Sort By:
Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
nice lil knife on 04/27/2010 01:37:18 MDT Print View

Whoa, thanks for the tip on that new leatherman "style" knife. It's actually a bit heavier than the victorinox classic (my classic sd w/ plastic stayglow scales weighs .7) But this negligible weight penalty is well worth the benefit of the better blade. I'm def grabbing this in the future. Thanks

Nate Davis
(Knaight) - F

Locale: Western Massachusetts
NICE! on 04/27/2010 05:51:23 MDT Print View

Darvin, thanks for posting that! The PS4 is just about exactly what I'm looking for. I do wish there was a version that left out the screwdrivers and included a pair of tweezers, but this is pretty awesome. I was planning on settling for a Squirt P4 in the next couple of weeks, so thanks for cluing us in!

Mike S
(MikeyLXT) - F

Locale: Maryland
Re: NICE! on 04/27/2010 06:12:50 MDT Print View

Oh i like how the Style CS looks.

Plus the clip on it functions as a bottle opener!!! SOLD

http://www.leatherman.com/products/product.asp?id=479&f=8&c=1

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Combining tools on 04/27/2010 09:38:38 MDT Print View

I know this makes the SUL'ers crazy, but multi-tools in general cross that line. I'm not going out without some basic tools. And that doesn't mean a 9" knife and a buck saw.

I've been able to break out of the "perfect tool" box by combining tools.

I like the Victorinox Trekker knives, but they don't have scissors. A Classic takes care of the problem and gives some "tool redundancy." I carry a Classic on my survival keyring with firesteel, whistle, tinder capsule and LED light. The Classic can be combined with many other knives or multi-tools to add functionality.

Some folk have just taken the scissors out of a Classic or other Swiss Army knife to use. Not a bad idea, and there are lots of TSA-confiscated knives on eBay for cheap.

The other scissor route is to use a small set of Fiskars embroidery or crafts scissors. They are 0.5oz and about 1000x more usable than any scissors packaged in a knife or multi-tool. I got a bunch at a flea market for $2 each. These are excellent for first aid kits too. Add a short piece of tubing for a point cap.

The hemostats-for-pliers is pure genius. The lock too, making a great "third hand" for repairs. Good for shoving a needle through thick layers of cloth too.

I haven't seen tweezers from a Swiss Army knife or multi-tool that were really usable. I want something with really fine tips and a good gripping surface for going after splinters and thorns. I want to be able to apply good pressure, which you just can't do with SAK tweezers; the broad flat surface just doesn't do the trick. The small tick-removal tweezers aren't too bad, but I prefer something like surgical tweezers with sharp textured tips. Still very light weight.

You could pick your favorite knife, add the crafts scissors, the hemostats, and a much better pair of tweezers for less weight and cost--- and improved functionality over a multi-tool. It's not a nice little wowee-gee package, but we should be over that allure after getting an UL kit together.

Also, I have a Leatherman Skeletool CX, which is a very well made tool and light for its functionality. Do not try to pry with the insert screwdriver-- the holder will pop apart and it is a terror trying to get it back together. If I were out on something like a bike it might be worth the weight for a multi-tool. I use a multi-tool at work all the time, but not on the trail.

robert cargen
(redwun) - F
leatherman wave on 09/30/2010 13:42:06 MDT Print View

yes i use the Wave one hand operation it is a very efficient and effective tool. i'm a real man do manly things. got the nickname mcgyver.

robert cargen
(redwun) - F
leatherman wave on 09/30/2010 13:46:23 MDT Print View

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:epZ2uoWEdRQJ:www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/4296698+how+can+i+become+a+multi+tool+tester&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Leatherman PS4 on 09/30/2010 14:43:05 MDT Print View

I posted awhile ago about my modifications to my PS4:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=33095&skip_to_post=281578#281578

mod

Since then I replaced the half serrated blade with two blades (one straight and one serrated), and I added a fine-tooth hacksaw. It now weighs 2.1 oz.

Ceph Lotus
(Cephalotus) - MLife

Locale: California
Leatherman Squirt PS4 & Leatherman Surge on 12/31/2010 12:34:10 MST Print View

You didn't say what size you were looking for, but I carry two Leatherman multi-tools (both with locking blade, pliers and scissors) when backpacking. I have the Leatherman Squirt PS4 on my keychain, and I carry this all time even when not backpacking.

http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-831195-Squirt-Black-Keychain/dp/B0032Y2OT6/

I carry the larger Leatherman Surge in the backpack.

http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-830160-Pocket-Multitool-Leather/dp/B000E28164/

Edited by Cephalotus on 12/31/2010 21:13:25 MST.

Ken Strayer
(TheRambler) - F
SOG multitools on 12/31/2010 20:00:18 MST Print View

You can get a blank SOG multitool of any size and just buy the items you want and put them on. I have the standard multitool size with the main pliers, and then I added on an awl, locking knife blade, scissors, can opener/flathead/half phillips. Mine weighs in at 3.5oz.

WV Hiker
(vdeal)

Locale: West Virginia
Several SAK's fit your criteria on 12/31/2010 20:10:11 MST Print View

There are several SAK's (Swiss Army Knives) that fit your criteria. I would look at a Victorinox Hercules if you don't mind the 111 mm size. If you want something a bit shorter there are several Wenger Evo's at 85mm with those tools. I'd go with the Hercules myself. Personally, I have little use for pliers and a locking blade but do insist on a saw. It's the Victorinox Huntsman or Hunter for me.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Pliers, scissors, locking blade on 01/01/2011 13:45:51 MST Print View

The Minibuck Tool doesn't have a locking blade, but it works for me. I filed the lanyard loop off and carry it in my kitchen kit. When a fellow hiker needs a tool: it's Minibuck to the rescue.

Minibuck tool 1Minibuck tool 2Minibuck tool 3Minibuck tool 4

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Re: Pliers, scissors, locking blade on 01/01/2011 21:18:34 MST Print View

How effective are those pliers?

Can you really clamp down on stuff with them, and do they grip, or will it bend the tool/cut your hand?

Clint Wayman
(cwayman1) - M

Locale: East Tennessee, US
Buck 350 on 01/01/2011 22:38:05 MST Print View

For anyone interested, there's a Buck 350 on ebay. $5, but still 4+ days left. You can find it
HERE

hope this helps someone =)

edit- link not working, but you can just search 'Buck 350' on ebay

Edited by cwayman1 on 01/01/2011 22:40:07 MST.