Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
sierra summer gear list advice
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ian White
(DeuceRegular) - F

Locale: Southern Jefferson
sierra summer gear list advice on 05/08/2009 22:55:54 MDT Print View

Howdy folks! I have been following the threads here on BLP and have been working on a gear list for awhile now too.

If this great community could give me some feedback on my list that would be great!
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=rr64n0dQ-5ZHH24mUnFG8sg&hl=en

notes: most all weights were determined using a triple beam balance. The items with a question mark next to the weight are estimates. Blank spaces are remnants from removed gear from my original list.

Jeff Jeff
(TwoFortyJeff) - F
Re: sierra summer gear list advice on 05/08/2009 23:34:17 MDT Print View

Can you make it public?

Ian White
(DeuceRegular) - F

published on 05/08/2009 23:55:21 MDT Print View

ooops...

I think it is public now...thanks

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rr64n0dQ-5ZHH24mUnFG8sg

Edited by DeuceRegular on 05/08/2009 23:56:34 MDT.

Ashley Brown
(ashleyb) - F
Re: published on 05/09/2009 00:00:51 MDT Print View

Is your Helium really 21 ounces? Or is it a Hydrogen?

Ian White
(DeuceRegular) - F

hydrogen on 05/09/2009 00:19:00 MDT Print View

its the 30 degree hydrogen, i've slipped up on my chemistry

Jim MacDiarmid
(jrmacd) - MLife
Re: sierra summer gear list advice on 05/11/2009 09:04:22 MDT Print View

That's a pretty good list. only a couple things jump out.

I'll pass along the 1st piece of advice that I got when I posted my first list; drop the rain pants unless the forecast is for definite extended rain. I'm still fairly new to the Sierra, but my 1st impressions are that summer rainstorms are fairly predictable and short. If it's hot out, just let your nylon shorts/pants get wet, and dry quickly. That's a half pound savings right there. Or buy something like the ULA rain wrap at ~3 oz. It works well.

The 2nd thing I notice was 1.9 oz for a writing pad. Do you writea lot? Do you need an entire notepad, or can you just bring a few pages of one? I take 3x5 note cards and write small if I want to write. With a pencil stub its only .5 oz,(or less since my scale only measure to the quarter oz.) Or if I print off trip directions from a book, I just write on the back of those. Or on the back of your wilderness permit if you have one of those. I kind of like doing stuff like that because it becomes kind of a souvenier of the trip.

The sewing kit might be a little heavy as well. Needle + floss is all you need.

I'm being picky here because your list is way better than mine.

Does your 1.3 liter pot assume 2 people? Because that's a big pot for one.

Are you putting your sleeping bag in the dry sack? can it fit all the gear you need to keep dry? Because again, with the summer rain in the sierra, I'd say pick eiter dry sack/pack liner or pack cover and save a couple oz. Both is overkill. If you need a bigger pack liner, get those stretchy garbage/trash compactor bags for cheap.

Depending on the type of ground you're camping on,
(not too rocky/not too sandy) you could probably get away with lighter titanium shepards hook stakes and save .75 oz or so.

Have you used the NeoAir small yet? I just did on a 2-nighter, and I have to say it almost feels like cheating to sleep that comfortably when camping.

Edited by jrmacd on 05/11/2009 09:07:29 MDT.

Ian White
(DeuceRegular) - F

Re: sierra summer gear list advice on 05/11/2009 12:51:00 MDT Print View

Yes, I tested out the neoair small and a plastic painters tarp (1mm)the other night in my backyard. I was impressed! I slept well. Last year I got an exped airmat at 19oz and felt that the horizontal tubes on the neoair made for a much better night's sleep.

I have been considering loosing the rain-pants recently. I was considering going with a garbage bag rain skirt, making some sil-nylon chaps, or going for the dry-ducks pants.

I also plan on doing a lot of trips to the Trinity Alps this summer, and feel that there is even a lower chance of rain there than the Sierra. I could be wrong about this, but I think an Trinity Alps trip would be a good way to test my comfortableness with less rain apparel.

I got the 1.3L because I do my backpacking typically with at least one other person. I havn't used this pot for two yet, but I am planning on testing it soon with some homemade dehydrated meals.

As for the stakes, I have 4 ti shepards. I use one aluminum stake as a handle for my toothbrush and spoon, and have a couple of y-stakes thrown in as well. The amount of stakes will probably reduce overtime. A friend of mine who likes to tease me about my pack weight consciousness was confused as to why I brought any stakes at all. He advocated tying the guylines to rocks or other stationary objects. Doesn't seem like a bad idea.

And thanks for the floss and wilderness permit as notepad idea!!

Edited by DeuceRegular on 05/11/2009 12:52:01 MDT.