Tenkara Rods - UL fishing...
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brian Barnes
(brianjbarnes) - M

Locale: Midwest
Tenkara Rods - UL fishing... on 05/06/2009 21:29:21 MDT Print View

There has been lots of recent discussion regarding lightweight fishing gear. Thought some may be interested in this setup:

http://www.tenkarausa.com/index.php?cPath=22

Less than 3 ounces for a telescopic pseudo fly rod... no reel needed but just furled line. cool stuff.

Tohru Ohnuki
(erdferkel) - F

Locale: S. California
Nice technique for small streams on 06/30/2009 01:42:18 MDT Print View

It appears that this might be a great lightweight setup for small streams and close in on small lakes. Telescoping pole with no guides won't need a sock or rodcase. And light reels can weight several ounces with backing and line. Think I will try the cheap option with a telescoping panfish rod first as an experiment...

Aaron Lastname
(Cloudveil9) - F
Fly Rod on 06/30/2009 19:26:55 MDT Print View

11 feet is the shortest size? That is really odd.

Compared to my fly rod, their smallest lightest rod is 1/8 oz lighter, and the closed size is 5 1/2 inches shorter than my broken down sSage. I think I'll stick with my Sage unless I am missing something!

Edited by Cloudveil9 on 06/30/2009 19:36:55 MDT.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Tenkara = no reel on 06/30/2009 21:06:14 MDT Print View

Tenkara is basically dapping flies, or doing the Czech nymph thing, etc. Rod, fixed line, flies. Greatest reach is length of rod plus length of line/leader. Really not very similar to a regular fly fishing set-up.

Isaac Walton fished pretty much the same way. Very old and basic style. Works best on small streams.

Sort of like UL backpacking: very simple, basic, minimalist approach to the game!

Edited by grampa on 06/30/2009 21:53:00 MDT.

Tohru Ohnuki
(erdferkel) - F

dual use as well on 07/01/2009 12:18:09 MDT Print View

You could probably use the tenkara rod as a stay in your pack if it uses carbon fiber rod stays, like a Mariposa. Evidently you can cast as well as dapp as the line is basically a furled mono leader. The thing i like about it is that you can carry the entire setup collapsed in your hand and be ready to fish a likely spot in seconds. Contrast that to the many minutes it takes to assemble the rod, thread the line, tie on leader, fly etc.

Fred eric
(Fre49) - MLife

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire
tenkara on 07/01/2009 12:38:25 MDT Print View

thanks for bringing this up , i am tempted to give it a try :)

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
Tenkara on 07/01/2009 13:07:03 MDT Print View

I have my tenkara set up, I will post pictures if there is an interest.

Now I just need to learn how to fish. :)

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Interested! on 07/01/2009 13:53:53 MDT Print View

Let's see the photos!

Right now I'm using a Cabela's crappie pole with a Tenkara line, trying the idea/technique out. So far, it seems to work pretty well, as long as you're okay with the inherent limitations. I love the simplicity!

I haven't achieved the best connection yet between crappie rod and line - the Tenkara USA rods have a short Spectra line on which to attach the line. I'm trying to find something like that - maybe a short piece of paracord epoxied on the tip of the crappie rod?

Probably get a rod from Tenkara USA eventually.

Josh Leavitt
(Joshleavitt) - F

Locale: Ruta Locura
Tenkara on 07/01/2009 19:04:58 MDT Print View

I have a tenkara rod, and it works great. I can see how it might not be for everyone, but like was mentioned above, if your into simple, effective, and ultra lite, then you will probably like it.

I lightened mine up even more by replacing the handle section of the Tenkara rod with the upper section of my TiGoat AGP, works slick. I'm trying to talk my father at TiGoat and Daniel from Tenkara USA into making such a rod/pole combo commercialy available. If anybody likes the idea, help me out, and let them know.

Fred eric
(Fre49) - MLife

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire
Tenkara on 07/02/2009 03:55:46 MDT Print View

Yes please Josh i would be very interested by your photos.

Matthew Steingass
(Steingass) - F

Locale: Washington
Tenkara Rods - UL fishing... on 07/02/2009 05:22:40 MDT Print View

I'm very interested in this product. It has its limitations but it's a third of the price and half the weight of a quality fly fishing rod/reel. I would love to see some user photos too.

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Tenkara Rods on 07/02/2009 06:25:34 MDT Print View

I'm heading out onto the trail but will post pictures of my setup first on next week.

Josh Leavitt
(Joshleavitt) - F

Tenkara pics on 07/02/2009 10:30:10 MDT Print View

This is all I've got on the camera right now, I'll see what else I can get.
gutter-cutt

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Tenkara on 07/03/2009 17:46:23 MDT Print View

I'll be taking a Tenkara Rod as well on my trip to the Bob Marshall next week. I have the as yet unreleased 13' 6:4 model, it weighs 3.5 oz. I think the added length will be very nice for playing larger fish, which the short rods have a tougher time with, and for fishing the bigger rivers out there that we plan to hit - South Fork Flathead, Spotted Bear, S Fork Sun River, etc. Plus, with high water there, the longer rod may be more versatile for nymph fishing big water.

I'm very intrigued by this system for backcountry, and this next expedition will be a full test of how it will do. I can't wait to report back.

My rod, line, and tackle for this trip will weigh less than seven ounces ... pretty cool. In 2001 I was light at 24, by 2005 I pared down to 16, down to 12 oz in '08, so this will be another big jump for me, without sacrificing my love of fly fishing.

Tohru Ohnuki
(erdferkel) - F

Re: Tenkara on 07/04/2009 13:15:01 MDT Print View

Very cool, it would be great to hear your impressions of this technique and how it compares to conventional fly fishing. It would seem that tenkara is well suited to 'fish while trekking' you describe in that article from a few years ago.

Aaron Lastname
(Cloudveil9) - F
Fishing on 07/04/2009 13:31:12 MDT Print View

7oz is pretty impressive...I'm currently at 11oz for my "True" fly rod and reel with line, flies, tippet, leaders, etc....Looks like a new gold weight standard has been set ;) There are ways I think I could meet 7oz but some convenience features would definitely be sacrificed in doing so.

Josh Leavitt
(Joshleavitt) - F

UL fishing on 07/06/2009 20:10:56 MDT Print View

I've fished a 9oz kit for years, and am currently down to sub 3oz. Getting your fishing weight down is similar to getting your pack weight down, you have to approach things a little different, and simplify your kit as much or more than anything. Along with a handful of flies in my hat, I keep extra line and leader in my first aid kit, and thats about it. You'ld be surprised how much you dont really need.

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Tenkara Rods - UL Fishing on 07/07/2009 12:03:20 MDT Print View

Here are a few pictures of my UL fishing kit.

My Tenkara Rod case along with my MLD pocket fishing kit;
Tenkara Rod Case - MLD Pocket

My Tenkara Yamame Rod 12' 7:3;
Yamame Rod

Here is a Yamame Rod closeup;
Yamame Rod

The rods spectra tip used for attaching line;
Spectra Tip

My UL fishing kit, flys on left are tenkara flys and flys on right are from local fly shop;
UL Fishing Kit

UL Fishing Kit - 2

The Tenkara Yamame Rod slightly extended;
Yamame Rod

I would like to thank BPL member Brian for bringing Tenkara to my attention. Being new to fishing I relyed on Daniel at TenkaraUSA for guidance in gear selection. Daniel was very helpful and provided great support and assistance.

It is now up to me to learn how to fish.

Edited by thomdarrah on 07/07/2009 14:44:13 MDT.

Jay Well
(jwell) - F

Locale: Willamette Valley
Tenkara on 07/08/2009 14:34:34 MDT Print View

After following this post and looking over the TenkaraUSA website I couldn't help myself. My set up should be here in just a couple of days. Thanks all for bringing my attention to this.

Brian Barnes
(brianjbarnes) - M

Locale: Midwest
RE: "Tenkara Rods - UL fishing..." on 07/08/2009 15:31:38 MDT Print View

Sweet looking set up Thom. Nicely done! Now lets see some fish photos!