Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Help loop west of Denver or Colorado Springs

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tony Fleming
(TonyFleming) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Help loop west of Denver or Colorado Springs on 05/05/2009 11:11:43 MDT Print View

I'm looking for a 20-25 mile loop West of Denver or Colorado Springs to hike on Memorial day weekeend. I'm driving over from flat Independence Missouri, and need some mountain air.

Tony

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Help loop west of Denver or Colorado Springs on 05/05/2009 12:14:22 MDT Print View

There's a great 24 mile loop just southwest of Denver or northwest of Colorado Springs in the Lost Creek Wilderness. Get a Trails Illustrated #105 map. Park at the Goose Creek Trailhead and hike the loop counterclockwise north on the Goose Creek Trail, west and then south on the McCurdy Park Trail, south on the Lake Park Trail and east on the Hankins Pass trail. You may need to do some postholing in the upper sections of the loop as you approach 11,000'. There are other 20-25 mile loops in the LCW at a lower elevation but this one is, IMO, the most scenic.

Edited by Dondo on 05/05/2009 14:22:45 MDT.

Tony Fleming
(TonyFleming) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Help loop west of Denver or Colorado Springs on 05/05/2009 12:37:17 MDT Print View

Thanks Dondo,

I will check it out. That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

Tony

kyle davis
(fta) - F

Locale: mn, co
lost creek on 05/05/2009 13:45:52 MDT Print View

lost creek is a great area definatly check it out.

Jens Aarnaes
(Finnmark) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Lost Creek, CO route on 05/13/2009 11:05:13 MDT Print View

Why counter clockwise?

I am heading up there this weekend and planned on going clockwise.

Thank you!

Richard Matthews
(food) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Lost Creek, CO route on 05/13/2009 17:30:36 MDT Print View

I prefer to hike it from the Hankins Pass side, but the McCurdy Park Trail is north facing and I would want to get stopped going up it rather than going down.