Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » esbit tablets

Display Avatars Sort By:
victoria maki
(clt1953) - F

Locale: northern minnesota
esbit tablets on 05/05/2009 05:13:30 MDT Print View

When the post office asks you if you have anything flameable when shipping packages, does that include esbit tablets? I will be hiking JMT this summer and need to do 4 food drops and want to use the US post office as they are cheaper than UPS. Any thoughts?

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
esbit tablets on 05/05/2009 09:28:44 MDT Print View

Yes. Both the PO and TSA consider them flammable (they are designed to do that) and are therefore forbidden.

The fact that they are harder to ignite than the box you're shipping them in doesn't matter; it is a fact lost to them. Almost everything else around them would have to be already burning before the tablets would ignite spontaneously (just try lighting one in the wind).

It is virtually impossible to buy Esbit tablets along the trail, so you might consider putting them in your re-supply boxes and don't tell the PO about them. They don't have the time or capcity to check packages routinely.

When flying to a major city, I'll buy them when I get off the plane and before I go to the trail. I don't put them in my checked luggage (pack) on the off-chance that some other piece of my camping gear might trigger a curious TSA person to actually dig into my pack. I can't risk having it rejected. A box of 12 only adds 6 oz to my pack, and that will do me for about 3 weeks.

Edited by wandering_bob on 05/05/2009 09:30:17 MDT.

Tim Heckel
(ThinAir) - M

Locale: 6237' - Manitou Springs
Re: esbit tablets on 05/05/2009 12:21:22 MDT Print View

Yes, they need to know the contents are flammable.
You can call and ask them the specifics. They may only require marking on the shipping container.

Frank Deland
(rambler) - M

Locale: On the AT in VA
Another opinion on mailing esbits on 05/07/2009 13:21:10 MDT Print View

http://thru-hiker.com/articles/flying_with_fuel.php

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
i've only ever bought esbits via mail on 05/07/2009 13:34:22 MDT Print View

thought they were fine for mailing

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: i've only ever bought esbits via mail on 05/07/2009 21:06:37 MDT Print View

Companies that ship items have two ways of dealing with it - just shipping them and hoping they don't get caught - or they file paperwork and be legal.

UPS allows more stuff to be shipped ground than USPS does.

Lets just say a LOT of people ship stuff they shouldn't. Get caught and playing dumb isn't an excuse.

Frank Deland
(rambler) - M

Locale: On the AT in VA
esbit along JMT on 05/07/2009 21:08:05 MDT Print View

Had planned to use esbits along the JMT. Aren't they available at resupply places along the trail?

Good point, Sarah. I, too, have purchased esbit tablets thru the mail from sources found at this site.

Edited by rambler on 05/07/2009 21:09:32 MDT.

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
i just looked up the esbit/mail thing on 05/07/2009 23:29:23 MDT Print View

they are fine to mail via ground within the usa, just can't be airmailed