Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
BREAKING NEWS: SAR Costs Money!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
BREAKING NEWS: SAR Costs Money! on 05/03/2009 10:44:58 MDT Print View

"Lynchburg, VA---Local Search-and-Rescue coordinators disbanded their operation when they discovered, unbeknownst to them up until this point, that mounting a search effort for lost and hurt recreationists in the back-country costs money. "All this time we've been helping people, we didn't realize that we were hurting other people--other people's bottom lines. It really is just unconscionable and everyone at the organization has had a change of heart," said Tom Scarborough, chief coordinator for the VA Search-and-Rescue team. He continued, "I'm not sure I'll be able to make up for all the damage I've done, in my years of helping rescue people, but I'm going to try. We've taken the first step here--after recognizing the pain and suffering we've inflicted on the community's bottom line--and decided to disband all official Search-and-Rescue operations from this point forward."

That SAR operations cost money was brought to the attention of officials such as Mr. Scarborough after Ken Knight, an experienced backpacker, went missing last week. Fortunately he was found, but not after, as recluses and social outcasts on the internet pointed out, money was spent in the effort to rescue him. "If you go hiking, that's a risk you take, and the taxpayer shouldn't be stuck with the bill," fat_lazy_loser_1975 said. "And the same goes for airplane crashes, car wrecks, and natural disasters." He went on to say that the best way to avoid causing pain and suffering to taxpayers was to stay at home, on the couch, and post nasty comments on internet forums--a recreational activity that exercises the mind without putting the body in any jeopardy."

Edited by Rezniem on 05/03/2009 10:47:50 MDT.

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Locale: South East
Re: BREAKING NEWS: SAR Costs Money! on 05/03/2009 10:48:38 MDT Print View

Excellent!

Jesse Glover
(hellbillylarry) - F

Locale: southern appalachians
Re: BREAKING NEWS: SAR Costs Money! on 05/03/2009 10:50:07 MDT Print View

Meh, don't let it bug you. Hopefully people like this will get some "instant karma" and join the human race.

Rick Cheehy
(kilgoretrout2317) - F

Locale: Virginia
$$$ on 05/03/2009 11:03:14 MDT Print View

Nate, you know living in San Fran is risky, I hope you don't want any of my tax money when the big one hits. You know the risks. I want all my tax money spent on per diems for congressmen, propping up banks, and keeping fossile fuel burning cars on the road. hey can I just pay taxes to Rush LimBAAAA, I know medical heroine gets expensive.

Jeff Antig
(Antig)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: BREAKING NEWS: SAR Costs Money! on 05/03/2009 12:25:30 MDT Print View

...and people with a lower IQ than 100 should not be offered emergency medical assistance.

Jesse Glover
(hellbillylarry) - F

Locale: southern appalachians
Re: Re: BREAKING NEWS: SAR Costs Money! on 05/03/2009 12:38:49 MDT Print View

^^Thats OK 'cos I have insurance.

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Kinda Off-topic super-chaffy on 05/03/2009 13:05:23 MDT Print View

but i found this quote somewhat relevant:

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Chris Chastain
(Thangfish) - F

Locale: S. Central NC, USA
Re: BREAKING NEWS: SAR Costs Money! on 05/03/2009 13:17:12 MDT Print View

Nate, that's great. Funniest thing I've read today.

The nice thing is that fat_lazy_loser_1975 probably won't live long enough to bother anyone.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Kinda Off-topic super-chaffy on 05/03/2009 13:21:40 MDT Print View

Nate, keep up the wit. Be nice to have on the next trip in June!!!

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
love that quote but on 05/03/2009 13:31:01 MDT Print View

i can't remember who said/wrote it & a quick google shows it's rather popular on blogs, but none i saw referenced the source

do you know whose quote that is?

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Kung Fu Monkey on 05/03/2009 13:37:37 MDT Print View

Got it from here: http://kfmonkey.blogspot.com/2009/03/ephemera-2009-7.html

Edited by Rezniem on 05/03/2009 13:40:38 MDT.

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Ken on 05/03/2009 13:38:52 MDT Print View

The one in late June near the summer solstice? That will be awesome. Someone said you got altitude sickness in Rancheria? I'm consistently paranoid about it after a bout at only 7000 feet hiking up to Grinnel Glacier in GNP.....hopefully it won't return for later Sierra outings!

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
i think kungfu monkey is also quoting on 05/03/2009 14:31:29 MDT Print View

that quote has been around a while - i saw it a couple years ago

but no idea the original source...

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Ken on 05/03/2009 14:32:26 MDT Print View

first time that has happened at 4000 ft. Lane and myself suffered. I think it was a combo of dehydration, heat, and altitude. Recognized it and fixed it.

Nate, at the trailhead, if anyone goes eary, you can camp at one of the campsite that are there. It will give you the chance to acclimate for the hike the next day.

Should be a very fun trip!!

Timothy Sexton
(Tijos1) - F
tax money on 05/03/2009 14:46:56 MDT Print View

Tax money for SAR that is essential. However money for hurricane Katrina victims now that is stupid. They are stupid enough to sign their life away when they agree to live under the water line. SAR is required when a person accidently gets themselves into a sticky situation. The people that live in New Orleans did not accidently get themselves in a situation.
I should not argue about taxes because I have never had to pay taxes because I do not work.
But if this person thinks that SAR should not be paid by the tax payers then neither should health care, and neither should schools, and neither should the national park services, and neither should mass transit. Why not while were at it lets get rid of the military, well why not get rid of the government that seems like a good idea. We can drive around on roads until they collapse and then walk everywhere, seems like a good idea to me. Just joking.

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Neo-Air Review on 05/03/2009 15:03:19 MDT Print View

Just hope Ken wasn't doing the final testing on the Neo-Air for next week's review!

=)

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Neo-Air Review on 05/03/2009 15:09:46 MDT Print View

Oh, I don't know....

He did get in a few extra nights...

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Neo-Air review on 05/03/2009 15:31:10 MDT Print View

He probably didn't take one. Otherwise the banner at the top of BPL would read:

"EMERGENCY ALERT: NEO-AIR, HIKER LOST ON APPALACHIAN TRAIL"

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: BREAKING NEWS: SAR Costs Money! on 05/03/2009 16:00:45 MDT Print View

Rescues happen every year in Whites and there are always people who complain about the tax cost, its a far worst sin if you are from out of state.

SAR is fundamentally an act of charity. It relys on volunteers and only works because people are willing to put in their own time and money and the public is willing to help fund it.

The fact is many people mistakenly view outdoor sports like hiking, as high risk. We know it is not and we need to educate the public that it is a perfectly safe activity for a responsible person to pursue.
If people like base jumpers and such had to be rescued every year, ya I would be a little annoyed that tax money went to them. Thats the frame of mind with which many critics are looking at the SAR of hikers.
I don't like to second guess what someone else did wrong without the all the facts but it will interesting to hear the full story. we all like to figure out "what went wrong" its a healthy need to learn from others mistakes and its a good reminder that we all can play the fool some days. Stay safe.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
BREAKING NEWS: SAR Costs Money! on 05/03/2009 17:47:30 MDT Print View

On a more serious note: This complaint comes up every time there's a rescue on Mt. Hood that makes the papers (there are so many of these that only the more spectacular ones make the papers). It doesn't help that the local media inevitably refer to climbers as "hikers." Even the national media and some entertainers holler about the "millions of dollars" spent on SAR operations, such as the for the three climbers lost on Mt. Hood two winters ago.

SAR personnel in both Washington and Oregon are all volunteers and unpaid. The military considers the use of their helicopters for SAR as valuable training, so budgets this as training cost. Therefore the only real cost to the taxpayers is overtime for the law enforcement personnel involved. This is certainly not "millions"--more like a few thousand.

Some states set up a fund (sometimes paid for by "stamps" of some sort, as in Colorado) to reimburse both county sheriff's offices and SAR organizations for their extra expenses. I really like this idea. (Yes, I bought Colorado's stamp when I hiked there last summer. I also donated to Wyoming's SAR when I hiked there--not as insurance but just as support for a worthy organization.) Wyoming evidently does not have a military helicopter presence (at least not in the Wind Rivers), so you're expected to pay for helicopter evacuation there. If it's a medical evacuation and you have really good health insurance, this may not be a problem. Otherwise you could owe a rather large bundle of cash to the helicopter owner.

Edited by hikinggranny on 05/03/2009 17:48:27 MDT.