Forum Index » GEAR » Lightweight Gear for NZ conditions

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Nelson Lakes on 05/05/2009 02:49:58 MDT Print View

Firstly, let me say that I am not experienced in snow/mountaineering. You should be able to find some good info here though. I also vaguely remember a book being written on light-weight alpinism. Also have you seen http://www.iclimb.co.nz/ and http://www.mountainz.co.nz/content/article/article.php?article=120405_bivouac.php&direct=nz.

From a quick look a your list I noted the following:

- It certainly doesn't seem all that heavy to me for the conditions.
- To save much weight you would probably have to spend $$$ on a new sleeping bag, pack and waterproofs. As Lynn says this will probably mean sourcing from off shore.
- 1 L Naglene is heavy as is Camelback
- Is the 265g thermal liner really the best way to add extra warmth to your bag. You can get down/synthetic jackets at that weight.
- Pack liner is heavy.
- 2 insulation jackets. I am presuming one is used as a belay jacket and one worn in your sleeping bag? Could be a better approach here?
-May be able to switch the driclime windshirt for an unlined wind shirt?

I am off to the Nelson Lakes in 10 days and was hoping to do the Travers-Sabine. Was there a lot of snow on the Travers saddle? If so I think I will need to re-think my route and will probably just go up to Blue lake/ Lake Constance and back this time.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Lightweight Gear for NZ conditions" on 05/05/2009 14:11:40 MDT Print View

If you wanted to throw money at the problem, you could get lighter base layers, lighter wind layers, ditch the rainpants and shorts, get a good Western Mountaineering sleeping bag, take just one good insulating jacket (preferably with 800+ fill instead of 600fp, eg Skaha hoody), leave the thermal liner, iPod and camera at home, get a carbon hiking pole (eg Titanium Goat), get a MUCH lighter stove/pot, and carry more calorie dense foods to drop weight. But you are the one who has to decide how important each item you carry is, and whether it is worth it to make changes just to save weight. UL is the same anywhere in the world…you make the call based on expected conditions which, in NZ, is usually bad .

John Beisner
(trtlrock) - F

Locale: Blue Ridge
tacking an add-on question to an old NZ thread on 09/01/2009 23:00:33 MDT Print View

Apparently the NZ sandflys are smaller than I thought. Will mosquito netting keep them out, or do I need to go to noseeum netting?

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: tacking an add-on question to an old NZ thread on 09/02/2009 00:24:48 MDT Print View

No-see-um, and hope.

Cheers

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: No see-um on 09/02/2009 13:28:14 MDT Print View

Like Roger said for sure.

Andrew Meeks
(Growler) - F

Locale: The NorthEast
NZ on 09/02/2009 14:58:59 MDT Print View

The only thing I know about NZ is: