Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
BPL's NeoAir review
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ashley Brown
(ashleyb) - F
BPL's NeoAir review on 04/28/2009 19:23:38 MDT Print View

Any chance we can have an ETA on this review? It's been arriving "soon" for weeks now.

Even a vague indication would be nice. If it's going to be another month then it would be good to know now. I keep holding off expecting that it will be in next week's edition, but it never is!

Dan Cunningham
(mn-backpacker)

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons
Re: BPL's NeoAir review on 04/28/2009 19:55:25 MDT Print View

Honestly, there are already a bunch of reviews here by experienced backpackers. The BPL review is just too late on this one, and by the time it comes out it'll be mostly irrelevant to those of us that already bought them. I'm sure you've read the hundreds of posts in the NeoAir thread. Many of us that were considering buying them just gave up on waiting for BPL's review and bought them anyway.

I'm happy with mine. Here's my review... For above freezing, it's tough to beat for comfort, weight, and it's insanely small packed size. Plan on going below freezing and you may want some help. It blows up with 12 of my big breaths, and blowing through the valve takes about 1/3 to 1/2 less effort than a BA Insulated Air Core. It makes more crinkly noises than most, but I didn't even notice it in normal use.

Edited by mn-backpacker on 04/30/2009 13:54:27 MDT.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: BPL's NeoAir review on 04/28/2009 20:02:04 MDT Print View

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Pads%20and%20Air%20Mattresses/Therm-a-Rest%20Neo%20Air%20Pad/

Ashley Brown
(ashleyb) - F
Re: Re: BPL's NeoAir review on 04/28/2009 20:06:42 MDT Print View

Yeah I think you're right Dan. I guess I just want to read the review because it has been hinted at for quite a while now.

It's a pity. When it comes time to renew my BPL membership, the timeliness and relevance of gear reviews is an important consideration for me (though probably not a deciding factor).

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: Re: BPL's NeoAir review on 04/28/2009 20:34:54 MDT Print View

"Honestly, there are already a bunch of reviews here by experienced backpackers."

I have yet to see a longer term report that asseses the mats durability, etc...I think this is worth waiting for. It's an expensive piece of kit if it's only going to last 3 months...

Dan Cunningham
(mn-backpacker)

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons
Re: Re: Re: Re: BPL's NeoAir review on 04/28/2009 20:44:57 MDT Print View

Lynn... I agree, reliability info would be good, but I'm fairly certain that the BPL pad hasn't failed and is still in use though (I reserve the right to be wrong as usual). Regarding price... yeah. Ouch. I'll admit to using my REI dividend and 20% off coupon to get it for only $14 though. Granted, that was over $100 that could have been put toward other gear.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
BPL's NeoAir review on 04/28/2009 21:58:56 MDT Print View

I see that the review still isn't posted tonight (April 28), even though we were told that it was complete at the beginning of April, 4 weeks ago.

For those of us who want to get it at REI, so we can return it if needed, there's a 20% off coupon coming up May 1-10. As a result, there will be another buying rush with none left for those who procrastinate. So I'm going to go ahead and order the NeoAir Friday morning. REI rarely has anything I want, so I let the last two 20% off coupons go (not the first time I've done that). If I'm to have the time to test this pad out thoroughly before my long summer hikes, I need to start now--I can't wait any longer for the review. I probably won't even bother to read it.

I originally signed up with BPL primarily for the gear reviews, in particular this one. I will certainly remember this procrastination when it comes time to renew next fall!

Edited by hikinggranny on 04/28/2009 22:34:23 MDT.

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Locale: Western Australia
Re: BPL's NeoAir review on 04/28/2009 22:40:46 MDT Print View

Don't let the review stop you. The NeoAir is a great inflatable.

I managed to spend two nigths on the Bib in mine this past week and it performed excellent. The weight and space saving alone was excellent.

Cheers

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BPL's NeoAir review on 04/28/2009 22:41:40 MDT Print View

Maybe BPL is trying to create the same kind of 'buzz' for it's review as the pad did.

[I certainly haven't noticed so much anticipation for either a product or a review in all my gear-sleuthing days. I too didn't wait, despite Roger seeming to elude to a less-than-favorable opinion in his pre-review posts]

Wasn't there some kind of mention about 'marketing hype' in the NeoAir thread too, or maybe that was supposed to be about the pad ;)

Edited by biointegra on 04/28/2009 22:44:47 MDT.

Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BPL's NeoAir review on 04/29/2009 06:14:15 MDT Print View

According to the BPL news e-mail, review is coming next week.

Jared Cook
(rooinater) - F

Locale: Northwet
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BPL's NeoAir review on 04/29/2009 19:19:58 MDT Print View

must be nice to actually receive the newsletter. I never get it, even though the box for newsletter subscription has been checked forever.

Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BPL's NeoAir review on 04/29/2009 20:16:01 MDT Print View

You can also sign up for it on the home page.

Jared Cook
(rooinater) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BPL's NeoAir review on 04/29/2009 21:24:10 MDT Print View

I've been signed up for it for a year plus now. I've tried resigning up multiple times, I still don't get it. It doesn't go to my spam folder either. I get any subscribed forum updates that I subscrive to, PM's and order information, but no news letter. No matter how many times I make sure the box is checked or I sign up. All my email goes straight to my phone, so it's not like I don't check my emails 10 times + a day...

Edited by rooinater on 04/29/2009 21:25:09 MDT.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
BPL's NeoAir review on 04/30/2009 13:13:56 MDT Print View

The NeoAir review will be posted next week. I find it interesting that a product review that comes out a few weeks after a product launch is in this day and age considered to be too late to be worthwhile.

While there are plenty of product reviews by various individuals available online for this product I personally take great interest in reading reviews from a trusted source with a reputation for providing me an accurate product review based on a proven scientific method. Many individual reviews are laced with personal insight and lack in proven methodology for review. That being said, there are many individuals personally reviewing gear who have proven themselves more worthy than the reviewers at the trusted sources I hit at above. Maybe HYOH can also be interpreted to RYOG (review your own gear).

To address an issue that has arisen as well regarding receiving the newsletter. I suggest informing Backpacking Light customer service of this issue to see if the situation can be alleviated.

Ashley Brown
(ashleyb) - F
Re: BPL's NeoAir review on 04/30/2009 18:12:49 MDT Print View

Thanks Sam, nice to hear back from a BPL rep.

> I find it interesting that a product review that comes out a few weeks after a product launch is in this day and age considered to be too late to be worthwhile.

I'm sure it will still be avidly read by BPL members (including me). It's only too late for those who have already bought one... which admittedly is quite a few people.

I think in the case of "hot" products like this one, which are of great interest to BPL members, announcing the release date of the review well in advance (say 4-6 weeks) would be a great idea. That way we can make an informed decision about whether to go ahead and purchase for upcoming trips, or to wait a bit longer for the BPL review. I am willing to wait for quality reviews, but I'm not keen on playing the guessing game about when they are going to be released.

Cheers, Ashley

ps. apparently I am also signed up for the newsletter but have never received one

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
BPL's NeoAir review on 04/30/2009 19:51:50 MDT Print View

I have a few thoughts, but at this point I'll keep them to myself. You folks at BPL have enough upset going on with Ken missing!

Jared Cook
(rooinater) - F

Re: BPL's NeoAir review on 04/30/2009 20:05:29 MDT Print View

I'll be reading the article, even though I already bought one. It's not old news per-say, but we've had this new product dangled in our face since last year and it's been eating us alive! comfort + UL is definitely a big deal! : )I haven't lost sleep over never getting the newsletter, but I guess I could look into it further if their is pertinent info. thanks again sam for the good info.

Edited by rooinater on 04/30/2009 20:06:10 MDT.