2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
3 tsp minced Ginger
4 Cloves Fine Chopped Garlic
1 C. Soy Sauce
1 C. Water
1C. Brown Sugar
1 Medium Shallot, chopped
2 large Bell Peppers
1 Pkg of Lean Ground Turkey or Beef (20 ounces of Turkey, 1 pound of Beef)
2 1/2 cups dry Jasmine or White Rice

Add Sesame Oil to pan on medium heat. Add chopped Shallot, Garlic and ginger. Lightly cook until onions just start to carmelize (turn light brown)

Add soy sauce, water and sugar. Dissolve sugar fully first then raise heat to medium high. and lightly boil while stirring for 5 minutes.

Here's where the sauce gets tricky. You need to thicken it, but not to much. You want to have a good mixture so that there is plenty of sauce to coat the rice. You can thicken your sauce in several ways. The easiest method is with a little corn starch but that increases the "saltiness". Some people like that and that is ok. The easiest method is to make a small "roux". This is essentially some hot oil or grease with flour mixed in. We used some of the drippings from our ground turkey we cooked to make a roux. If you have instant brown gravy, you could also thicken it with that but that will also have alot of sodium.

So, once you hit that 5 minute mark, you'll need to lightly thicken the sauce. Make sure before you start thickening, that you reduce the heat to medium. Once thickened, remove from heat. Add your chopped peppers and meat. Stir, cover, set aside.

With the beef and sauce set aside, cook your rice. Make sure the rice absorbs most of the water or else it will thin the beef sauce.

When rice is complete, add sauce and meat mixture, thoroughly mix together, divide immediately and dry at 125. I recommend you dry on parchment paper. It will go quicker and allow you to turn the rice over a few times to completely dry.

Add one dry cup to a quart freezer bag. In camp add one cup boiling water, cozy for 8 minutes. This recipe also goes well with roasted unsalted peanuts.

Enjoy

Edited by GrinchMT on 04/26/2009 22:38:49 MDT.

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Wow, this is good! on 04/26/2009 18:25:14 MDT Print View

Forget the dehydrating. I made this for dinner in town, and it is great!
Since I'd rather pay HarmonyHousefoods.com to dehydrate my food, I may try to re-create this recipe from already-dehydrated food. Definitely worth giving it a try.

Jared Cook
(rooinater) - F

Locale: Northwet
Re: Wow, this is good! on 04/26/2009 21:01:02 MDT Print View

definitely sounds good! I'll have to try it. A couple weeks till my next trip, so i should have time to test it out.

JR Redding
(GrinchMT) - F
Re: Mongolian Beef on 04/26/2009 22:43:54 MDT Print View

Glad it was liked at home. It's definitely not a healthy recipe but very good. I should have mentioned that I made this amount to dehydrate for our upcoming thru hike of the Long Trail. This recipe as is makes 7 dry one cup servings.

For home use we originally used leftover sirloin from the grill from the previous nights dinner.

It definitely could be made on the trail with soy sauce powder and other dried ingredients. On the garlic, try to find garlic cubes from Knorr. They should be in your international isle at eh grocery store. They work and taste better than regular garlic powder.

Also, be aware if it is dehydrated, it should be stored in either the refrigerator or freezer due to the Sesame oil. Outside of the cold, I would give it 7-14 days depending upon conditions before considering the possibility of it going rancid.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
well yum! on 04/27/2009 09:30:28 MDT Print View

Sounds like a great recipe Joe!!

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Well... on 05/19/2009 20:38:30 MDT Print View

I'd say it needs some sliced beef to be "Mongolian Beef" so I'd fry and dehydrate thinly sliced beef instead of using ground beef.

Eric

Edited by Danepacker on 05/19/2009 20:40:00 MDT.