Forum Index » GEAR » Montbell Vest Sizing

Display Avatars Sort By:
Peter Gurin
(intheswim) - F
Montbell Vest Sizing on 04/23/2009 19:52:06 MDT Print View

i read that the thermawrap vests run smaller than the jackets?

Is that true with the ultralight down inner vests aswell?

How about their snap vest or h/s vest?

Edited by intheswim on 04/23/2009 20:08:22 MDT.

Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Montbell Vest Sizing on 04/23/2009 20:16:12 MDT Print View

My experience with MB clothing is that it runs true to the measurements for the garments. Make sure you measure yourself and use that to correspond with the size you need. For reference, I have a Inner Down Parka, Thermawrap Parka and Thermawrap pants - all are true to the measured size.

MB Sizing info: http://www.montbell.us/custserv/faq/#q9

Jim MacDiarmid
(jrmacd) - MLife
Re: Montbell Vest Sizing on 04/23/2009 20:23:59 MDT Print View

I have the Thermawrap vest, the UL Down Inner Parka, and the Alpine Light Jacket, all in large. Both the Down Inner Parka and the leave me plenty of room for layering. Enough room that I can wear either one over the other. The Thermawrap vest is very snug, almost a perfect fit. I can wear it over a thin base layer + Patagonia R1 hoody, but much more than than, and it would be verging on too tight. I assume they're sized that way because the vest is considered an inner layer?

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Locale: South East
Re: Montbell Vest Sizing on 04/23/2009 20:25:35 MDT Print View

I have a down inner vest - had the thermawrap. Thermawrap was a different cut. No question. Thermawrap was an 2005 and the down inner 2008. That may account for something, but having put them on back to back I can say without doubt they were different fits.

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
re: Montbell Vest Sizing on 04/23/2009 21:06:22 MDT Print View

I dont know about the down vest but I had purchased last years thermawrap vest in a size medium. I tried it on without any clothes (not even a base layer) and it was skin tight and hard to fully inhale. I had to send it back. I have a Montbell Down inner jacket in a size medium and it fits well, not a lot of extra room but plenty loose enough for baselayers and not restrictive at all. I had to send the vest back. I weigh about 160 lbs and am 5'9.5".

Does anyone know if the current thermawrap vest model still fits tightly. I'd like to buy a vest but dont want to continue to pay for shipping to get the size right.

Thanks, Jamie

Christopher Graf
(cgraf) - M

Locale: So Cal
re: Montbell Vest Sizing on 04/23/2009 22:57:40 MDT Print View

I have a MB Snap Neck Down Vest and believe that MB's sizing runs on the small size (MB's customer service is very helpful in regards to questions on their cuts and sizing)...I'm 5'5" 140lbs and normally wear small size jackets/vests but had to return both the Snap Neck Down Vest and Alpine Light Jackets for mediums allowing for layering over a light weight microfleece or baselayer.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Montbell Vest Sizing on 04/24/2009 01:52:24 MDT Print View

I have an XL Thermawrap jacket that fits me well and an XL down inner vest that is huge on me. I can wear the down vest over the Thermawrap and it's still not tight. I'm 6 ft. 195 lbs.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: re: Montbell Vest Sizing on 04/24/2009 09:44:08 MDT Print View

I am 6'1" and 190 lbs with skinny legs and have an Alpine Down vest (not the Inner). It is size large and fits me with no air gaps inside and without compressing the down. I wear extra large garments for layering over this vest.

I noted that we weigh the same but you are shorter than I. Unless a lot of yur weight is in your legs, you probably have a bigger torso than mine. You may want to consider the extra large.

Brian Lewis
(brianle) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
re: Montbell Vest Sizing on 04/24/2009 13:05:43 MDT Print View

My wife and I each own a thermawrap jacket and I have a thermawrap vest as well. my jacket is from ~3 years ago and in size medium it feels to me more like a medium-small. I'm normally a "size medium" kind of guy, and this fits me, but very snuggly. Right now, with winter over and I'm overweight, it's a particularly snug fit. The size large fits fine, comfortably. Some size large things feel quite large to me, this feels just comfortable.

Bottom line is that I would be inclined to size up any montbell clothing purchase. We got the size large jacket for my wife, she normally wears things a bit smaller than I do but the size large is comfortable for her.

One nice thing, however, about having a size medium jacket and size large vest is that I can layer them for colder conditions.

Edited by brianle on 04/24/2009 13:06:42 MDT.