Apparently, my local gear shop is a great place to meet straight, single men
Display Avatars Sort By:
Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Locale: Midwest
Apparently, my local gear shop is a great place to meet straight, single men on 04/22/2009 13:47:24 MDT Print View

My local gear shop, Midwest Mountaineering was voted the best place to meet straight, single men in the Twin Cities by our local alt weekly, City Pages. Goofy, stereotypes aside. (They also rate the best place to meet homosexual, single men, so no discrimination there.) (g@y is censored?)

Linky: http://tinyurl.com/dht82u

What think? I'm bothered by the implied stereotype, but find the award goofy and entertaining. City Pages always gives folks stickers and such to promote their "Best of" status, and I wonder if Rod Johnson will display theirs.

Also voted Best Sporting Goods. http://tinyurl.com/dzzzbl

Edited by citystuckhiker on 04/22/2009 13:56:59 MDT.

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
sounds like gear shop must be on 04/22/2009 13:50:45 MDT Print View

across the street from the YMCA

Dan Cunningham
(mn-backpacker)

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons
Re: Apparently, my local gear shop is a great place to meet straight, single men on 04/22/2009 14:53:24 MDT Print View

LOL! I was just there yesterday gear-enabling a friend. He got a SummerLite and a NeoAIR Regular.

We're both straight, and not single.

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: Apparently, my local gear shop is a great place to meet straight, single men on 04/22/2009 16:46:50 MDT Print View

There must be some kind of new stereotype Ive never heard of?
Whats the implied stereotype? Either a lot of single men shop there or they don't.

Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Re: Apparently, my local gear shop is a great place to meet straight, single men on 04/22/2009 16:48:59 MDT Print View

The stereotype implied is that only straight men frequent outdoor shops. Or the homosexual men do not like outdoor shops, or participating in the activities that require the gear outdoor shops sell. Take it as you see it.

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Re: Re: Re: Apparently, my local gear shop is a great place to meet straight, single men on 04/22/2009 16:51:29 MDT Print View

They actually said "only" straight men shop there? or did they say its a good place to meet single straight men.

-Forget it -why do I get into these Opra moments online when I get board?

Edited by MAYNARD76 on 04/22/2009 16:56:58 MDT.

Richard Sullivan
(richard.s) - MLife

Locale: Supernatural BC
Re: Apparently, my local gear shop is a great place to meet straight, single men on 04/22/2009 17:09:19 MDT Print View

Midwest Mountaineering you say...There are mountains in the Midwest?? :))

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
Possible profanity detected? on 04/22/2009 17:17:39 MDT Print View

Yes, I think "g*y" is censored. You get:

"(Possible profanity detected: 'g*y')"

It's crazy, but that's probably up the the Boy Scout-ey background of BPL. They aren't allowed there, and apparently even the socially-accepted term isn't accepted here. Banish the profane!

P.S. The owner's name is Rod Johnson?

Edited by DaveT on 04/22/2009 17:19:22 MDT.

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
Straight single men on 04/22/2009 17:29:34 MDT Print View

Yah, straight single men are more likely to go to a gear shop and single g@y men are more likely to be found at a Leather Outlet....no big surprise there!

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Re: Straight single men on 04/22/2009 17:38:19 MDT Print View

Funny thing is, when he said a stereotype was being implied -I was thinking along the lines that maybe there was a stereotype that men who liked outdoor gear would most likely be single! the g@y thing came way otta left field!

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
Oh yah on 04/22/2009 17:40:04 MDT Print View

The stereotype is definitely that outdorsy men are, uh, SINGLE....Nerdy, antisocial, you name it. You know, the type who troll forums online and obsessively weigh their gear and make spreadsheets to calculate their total base weight.

If it quacks like a duck . . .

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Oh yah on 04/22/2009 17:43:30 MDT Print View

"The stereotype is definitely that outdorsy men are, uh, SINGLE....Nerdy, antisocial, you name it. You know, the type who troll forums online and obsessively weigh their gear and make spreadsheets to calculate their total base weight.

If it quacks like a duck . . ."

Are we talking INTJ's here, Nate?

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Straight single men on 04/22/2009 17:58:57 MDT Print View

P.S. The owner's name is Rod Johnson?

Indeed it is ... and I think you've spoiled it for me, it might be difficult to resist smirking when I here it now (smirk)

He's married (to a female).

And he's a hard core ultralight advocate ... without the spousal influence I'm pretty sure he could give Alan Dixon a good fight for the lightest pack ... except that he don't need no stinkin pack ... have seen photos of him with everything carried in a many pocketed mesh vest.

Yes there are no mountains in the Midwest. The store got it's start when he returned from a climbing trip with a carload of gear to sell to like minded friends. Forty years later they're still going strong and put on a world class Outdoor Expo (twice a year).

Nice little success story.

Dan Cunningham
(mn-backpacker)

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons
Re: Re: Straight single men on 04/22/2009 18:08:49 MDT Print View

Wait... Eagle Mountain, at 2301 feet, isn't really a mountain? WTF?

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Re: Straight single men (again) on 04/22/2009 21:49:22 MDT Print View

re: outdoorsy guys being single ... I had a friend at work who would work 11 months without a taking a vacation day so he could spend September stalking grizzlies in GNP. He retired to a home 3/4 miles outside of park.

I mentioned that to my wife and the conversation went like this:

me: "Today was Greg's last day."
her: "What are his plans?"
me: "He bought a house just outside GNP"
her: "His wife is OK with that?"
me: "Greg's not married."
her: "Remember that!"

Game/Set/Match!

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Apparently, my local gear shop is a great place to meet straight, single men on 04/23/2009 11:22:54 MDT Print View

Jim - your wife hasn't spent enough time in Glacier. Why WOULDN'T someone want to live there?!?

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Re: Apparently, my local gear shop is a great place to meet straight, single men on 04/23/2009 12:17:41 MDT Print View

Jim - your wife hasn't spent enough time in Glacier.

HA! We were soon to figure out she was pregnant with our first child. Day 1 involved an eight mile day hike in 40*F rain follow by violent symptoms too unpleasant and graphic for this forum ... continuing thru the night. Day two we got socked in by clouds on Logan Pass and drove down out of them with her head out one window watching the edge of the road and me out the other side watching the center line. Day 3 ... was more of day 1. The trip got much better continuing west thru the Cascades and Olympics then back via Yellowstone. But I'm sure she'd enjoy Glacier under different circumstances.

Why WOULDN'T someone want to live there?!?

It's much more about people connections than place.

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
RE: "Apparently, my local gear shop is a great place to meet straight, single men" on 04/23/2009 12:30:32 MDT Print View

"I mentioned that to my wife and the conversation went like this:"

Jim,
That's very funny. LOL

Okay, my two cents. I live in L.A. and I'm straight. I have life-long friends who are homosexual. And, if you walk in to any of the outdoors stores here you will definitely see homosexual men and women who love backpacking, fly fishing, etc. Sorry, couldn't think of anything funny to say. I just keep hooping that we, as a society, can get past stereotypes, homophobia and bigotry of any kind. Oh well. Maybe someday... I say someday because I do see glimmers of hope here and there. Someday, however, is better than no-day, noway in @!*%.

Edited by socalpacker on 04/23/2009 12:32:01 MDT.

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Locale: Ozarks
Apparently, my local gear shop is a great place to meet straight, single men on 04/23/2009 13:45:36 MDT Print View

I thought most of the customers in gear shops were attractive women buying North Face down jackets for streetwear.

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Re: Apparently, my local gear shop is a great place to meet straight, single men on 04/23/2009 14:25:00 MDT Print View

FYI g@y being censored has nothing to do with our boy scout-y background. It's just happens to be the "module" we use.

We don't discriminate.

Anyone is welcome here EXCEPT...

...the wayward children who believe in the heaviness of pack.