June BPL Hike & Post Apri?????
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
June BPL Hike & Post Apri????? on 04/21/2009 19:20:04 MDT Print View

Ok, one thing to clear here, please do not let this post distract from Jay's wonderful idea of a dayhike/BBQ in May please.

On our last trip to Rancheria Falls (which btw was awesome!) Tony made a comment that it would be cool to have each attendent bring an appetizer to share with the group. This does not have to be your dinner, but just something to share as we are firing up our bush buddies, alcohol stoves, esbit, and cannister stoves.

Me being a MAJOR foodie, thought this was a great idea and I am all over this. If you are to sign up for the hike, please state if you are going and what app. you will be bringing so that other fellow hikers will not be bring the same.

Place: I was thinking of places that do not have a quota system and that you do not have to bring a cannister. I have three ideas that I think would work. All are about 5 miles or less and not too hard.

1. Bear Lake in Emmigrant Wilderness.
I have been there many times and just love it there!

2. Ebbets Pass to Kinney Resevoir in Toyabe Wilderness. Been here more than any other place in the Sierra's. Short hike with good fishing around

3. Dardenelle Lake on Hwy 89 near Lake Tahoe. Actually the Tahoe Rim to Rim goes by this lake. Nice scenery and good swiming.

I was thinking either June 20th or June 27th

Please discuss.......

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: June BPL Hike & Post Apri????? on 04/23/2009 16:11:19 MDT Print View

Ken,

I could do it on June 20th. I lead a hike on the 27th.

For a no-permit venue, at about 5 miles, might I suggest Showers Lake. It's north of Carson Pass, on the PCT. There are killer views of Dardenelle Lake and Lake Tahoe. Good wildflowers on the last pitch up to the lake.

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
June 20th on 04/23/2009 16:31:22 MDT Print View

I'm down. Open to wherever.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: June 20th on 04/23/2009 17:14:33 MDT Print View

Well to add to the female perspective, I will be bringing my wife. Let's keep all options open and see what the others have to say

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
June 20th on 04/24/2009 00:31:40 MDT Print View

Perfect time to do it as it is one of the longest days of the year!

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Hike on 04/27/2009 20:52:14 MDT Print View

I am definitely interested in a June meet up with appetizers. The bar has been set so high after shrimp and beer last time. Bear lake would be great but I am open to all suggestions.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: June BPL Hike & Post Apri????? on 05/17/2009 10:26:10 MDT Print View

Now that Jay's day hike on Mt. Diablo is over.....and Jay I would like to see some pictures, How many folks are interested in making this happen? I am going that weekend regardless, but I would love to have some company.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: June BPL Hike & Post Apri????? on 05/18/2009 23:26:14 MDT Print View

Hey Ken,
We had a great time.
a total of 7 of us showed up.
22 miles up and down the devils backbone with a high around 92*. You can say we stayed very hydrated.

I know the photos are coming soon.

I found out that 4 of the BPL's there will be doing TRT in July. I can't wait to see the trip report on that.

The California BPL's have been having very successful planed trips and the TRT will now be the longest of these trips.
That is until the dirty dozen, (or so) of the JMT'ers start off.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: June BPL Hike & Post Apri????? on 05/19/2009 10:50:54 MDT Print View

sounds like you guys had a good time!! Would love to see some photos.

Here's to hoping that a trip happens in June!

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: June BPL Hike & Post Apri????? on 05/19/2009 11:11:28 MDT Print View

Ken,

Photos are coming.

Funny thing, with new camera I now have to figure out how to reduce the size of the photos so that I can post them.

My old camera was 3.2 megapix, so I could just clean them up in Photoshop and start posting.

I have cleaned them up last night and I will see about sorting them and then resizing them.

Will do this fast and dirty....can not remember what trails we were on.

Frankly, my brain and mind where fried from the heat and being out of shape.

P.S. I would be interested in going on the trip, but I need to check with the boss. I might be able to take the family out, depending on how many miles out we are talking. So far, which location are you thinking of going to? If the mileage is low enough, I will see about taking my 6 year old daughter. She can be the BPL mascot. :)

-Tony

Edited by Valshar on 05/19/2009 11:22:28 MDT.

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
out of shape? on 05/19/2009 11:16:24 MDT Print View

you?

now i'm depressed.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: June BPL Hike & Post Apri????? on 05/19/2009 13:14:35 MDT Print View

I was thinking that Bear Lake in Emmigrant would be nice. i think it is around 3 miles hiking. Their is some uphill but it is a moderate grade. My wife is going too, so the more females or children that would like to go, is ok!

The other thought was Kinney Lakes in Toiyabe. Great fishing, and a very easy 1.5 mile hike that is quite enjoyable.

June 20th????

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: June BPL Hike & Post Apri????? on 05/19/2009 18:46:14 MDT Print View

Bear Lake sounds good to me. What's the proposed schedule? Are we on for June 20th? I'm good.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: June BPL Hike & Post Apri????? on 05/19/2009 19:17:00 MDT Print View

Bear Lake the 20th of June. Dennis, if you were inclined to come up on Friday, there are wonderful car camping sites at the TH. I will be heading up on Sat. monrning.

For what it is worth, let's get a headcount if possible

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

BPL - Bear Lake - June 20th. on 05/19/2009 23:06:07 MDT Print View

That's out of Crabtree, yes? I camped there last September.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: BPL - Bear Lake - June 20th. on 05/20/2009 12:16:07 MDT Print View

yep that is correct

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

June Bay Area BPL Gathering.....Just Wondering? on 05/25/2009 17:45:03 MDT Print View

Hey folks. I am just wondering how many are interested in doing this hike. If you could ever be so kind as to let me know, so that I can plan?

June 20th-21st, Emmigrant Wilderness
Destination: Bear Lake or even Granite Lake which would add some cross country
Trailhead is Crabtree Meadows
No permit is required.

I'd just like to guage the interest in this.

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
maybe start new thread in the trips section of forum on 05/25/2009 18:22:33 MDT Print View

lane & i are planning on going - we were looking for this thread the other day & couldn't find it :)

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: maybe start new thread in the trips section of forum on 05/25/2009 18:31:43 MDT Print View

I will probably be going up Friday morning, early. I plan to hike to Bear Lake and set up where you guys can easily find me. No more of this "make-and-break-camp-and-remake-camp" stuff for me.

Anyone want to carpool to that schedule? I'm coming from Petaluma and passing through: Vallejo, Benicia, Martinez, to Dublin and points east. I'll probably stop for breakfast. PM me if interested.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: maybe start new thread in the trips section of forum on 05/25/2009 20:13:50 MDT Print View

Dennis, knowing that I know this smallish lake so well, anywhere that you camp will be ok and you will be easy to find. No worries there!

Lane and Cary, Since you guys have demonstrated such great camp finding skills, I have no worries with you guys. Sorry this was buried, not too many have replied to this, that is why I bumped this up. It will be a pleasure to see you guys again!