Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
UL boating video
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ali e
(barefootnavigator) - F

Locale: Outside
UL boating video on 04/21/2009 14:11:05 MDT Print View

I know this has nothing to do with ul backpacking but if you are curious about what its like to live on a 24' sailboat we have started adding un edited clips from our new movie. I hope to have 5-10 clips up by the end of the day. Ali http://boatyardpirates.com/Booksandvideos.html

enjoys/v roo allegra 24

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
UL boating video on 04/21/2009 15:02:02 MDT Print View

Nice, makes me want to go sail.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: UL boating video on 04/21/2009 20:33:39 MDT Print View

Nice interior Ali. It even has one of them dancing poles in it..lol.

Ali e
(barefootnavigator) - F

"UL boating video" on 04/24/2009 09:38:21 MDT Print View

John, the pole is the best part of the boat. Ali

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
RE: "UL boating video" on 04/24/2009 11:01:24 MDT Print View

Ali,
I'm at work now so can't watch the video. I've been thinking about and kinda shopping for a sailboat for the last couple of years now. I have to tell you, that interior is awesome! Did you do all that yourself?

Ali e
(barefootnavigator) - F

"UL boating video" on 04/24/2009 11:40:52 MDT Print View

Kendall, We did not build the interior. The boat was a custom construction and the interior took over 2000 hours. We essentially got the boat for free by buying and selling small cleaneruppers but she was in a fallen state. We have rebuilt and refinished everything from stem to stern. When we launch at the end of the month she will essentially be a new boat. I have a book comming out in a few months called Boatyard Pirates and it is a guide to buying good small boats. If there is anything I can do to help you let me know. Your best resource might be Champagne Cruising on a Beer budget by Lynn Pardy. Ali

Edited by barefootnavigator on 04/24/2009 11:41:54 MDT.

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

"UL boating video" on 04/25/2009 13:16:43 MDT Print View

Ali,

I just read your website and saw all of your pictures. You and your husband are incredibly talented! Of course, I'm assuming that's you and your husband. Anyway, I am just blown away! The boat is beautiful as is the writing and everything else. I just wanted you to know that.

Thank you so much for offering to help guide me. It's likely I'll take you up on that. I've noticed that due to the economy that the prices of boats have come down quite a bit, but also due to the economy I want to spend as little as possible. So, a few months ago I thought to myself, 'what about a fixer-upper?'. (sorry, shift/parenthesis and shift/quotation keys went out last week)You know? Like with a house. And now here you are having done it. I honestly didn't know that that might be viable option for me.

Thanks for the tip on the book. I'll get it this week. And, you can count me first in line to buy your book when it comes out. "Champagne Cruising on a Beer Budget;" that would be me. Thanks again. The dream has been resurrected! Sailing has been a life-long dream of mine. Now, I'm all excited again. Somebody told me last week, 'Jump and the net will appear.'

Edited by socalpacker on 04/27/2009 08:51:13 MDT.

Ali e
(barefootnavigator) - F

"UL boating video" on 04/28/2009 11:48:10 MDT Print View

Kendall, Thanks for the peeps on the site. Actually my name is Alan my nickname is Ali given to me by Mohamid Ali. I used to be an entertainment publicist and was very protective of my clients. After a fairly famous incidence when I slapped the crap out of a world famous radio host he said that boy has a little Ali in him and everyone started calling me little Ali then it just got shortened to Ali although many family members and Lizzie my wife refer to me as Alli so there you have it, Im a boy. :) Be careful on the fixers you can can email me anytime you have questions but boats are a tough nut. Hanvt been around much now that summer is here I pretty much go AWOL. Ali Alli Alan free free free. :)

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

"UL boating video" on 04/29/2009 10:09:13 MDT Print View

THAT is a very interesting story. You realize you have to tell who the radio host is that you slapped, right? I take it the pictures you use a lot are of your wife Lizzie or your daughter? It's a little confusing, but I'm glad you cleared it up. Thanks for the halp with the boat advice. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to focus on it again 'till after summer. Like you, I'm planning on being a little awol this summer. Thanks again, in advance, for any help and advice you can give me. I had just about given up on the boat.

Edited by socalpacker on 04/29/2009 10:12:38 MDT.