I use the RayWay two-stick method. 'Scuse the name, but others will know the method. Here's the steps:
1. Stake down guy lines from two corners on one short end, approximately where they would be when you're done with everything. This is an estimate, naturally.
2. Go over to other side. Set up the pole and stake it down.
3. Stake down the corner guys for the side you just put the pole up.
4. Walk over to the other side. Set up the pole and stake it down. I usually make this the lower end of the tarp.
5. Stake down the side guys.
6. If you have side lifters (RayWay tarps, or MLD monk tarps), set up the poles and stake those.
7. Adjust guylines /w tautline hitches or mechanical tensioners.
If it is windy, put one person on each short end for holding. Otherwise throw your pack on it.
I need to put to some tensioners on my CatTarp2 later. I'll put those on and take some step-by-step photos.