Homemade Trekking pole
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Schafer
(jdshiker) - F
Broke a pole on 06/28/2006 08:43:08 MDT Print View

I'm the one that originally posted the link to the golfsmith shafts. Now I am regretting that post based on my own experience.

I finally got around to making myself a set of poles from the golfsmith shafts and I took them out for a test this past weekend. Well, I broke a pole on the first day of hiking. I was going downhill and planted the pole on a rock and put a fair amount of my weight on it. There was a loud crack and piece of the pole shot forward about 10 ft. It barely missed my hiking partner who turned around, surprised at first, but then started laughing. It was really quite funny.

Anyway, some more facts/observations for anyone who is interested. I weigh around 190lbs plus a 5lb day pack. I had attached a strap to the poles with a prussik knot and was putting more weight on the pole that broke due to a sore foot. Here's a picture of the broken pole:broken pole

I really like the light weight of the poles and will make another. However, I think that I will try them without straps.

James Pitts
(jjpitts) - F

Locale: Midwest US
CF on 06/29/2006 05:33:07 MDT Print View

Sorry to hear about the broken pole.

I have a pair of telescoping poles I bought from Alpkit in Europe a while back that are made from roll-wrapped CF. I love them and use them once in a while. They have done stress tests of them and were unable to break them with their test rig (that put a lot of off-axis weight on the pole). They intended to test to failure but I don't think they ever re-did the test like they said they would.

...still they are great poles.

My DIY poles have taken a few "direct hits" and have bent but never broken. Still, I haven't tested to failure. I do know they will have their limits and that one day I'll find that limit!

CF fails totally differently from aluminum in that it just snaps. I can see from your posted pics (thanks!) that they just snapped clean off. Strange but it looks like they broke in two places? How did this happen, or did it?

Aluminum would bend/deform and then the tube would crimp and fold.

I think this is a good argument for using tapered poles rather than straight shafts. Tapered poles should be a lot stronger than pultruted shafts, but will be more expensive and heavier unless you can find them in roll-wrapped CF.

BTW, CF prices have gone through the roof and I am told it's because Airbus is buying huge amounts of the stuff to make their new airplanes. I am not sure if this is true but I do know it has gotten very expensive. The best place I have found on the web to get it is "dragonplate" carbon fiber.

John Schafer
(jdshiker) - F
Re: CF on 06/29/2006 10:16:43 MDT Print View

Yes, they broke in two places at the same time! As I mentioned the middle piece shot forward about 10 ft and almost hit my hiking partner. Very strange.

James Pitts
(jjpitts) - F

Locale: Midwest US
RE: CF on 07/05/2006 17:06:23 MDT Print View

Had your partner been hit and killed that would fall into the tragic "what a way to go!" category.

L Jeanchristophe
(jcl_fr) - F
Telescopic carbon trekking poles on 10/05/2006 02:02:02 MDT Print View

Hi
I’ve also made carbon trekking pole but they’re telescopic.
Seize 1m30
Weight 120grs each

fullminimum

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: snapping in two places on 10/05/2006 23:45:07 MDT Print View

> I can see from your posted pics (thanks!) that they just snapped clean off. Strange but it looks like they broke in two places? How did this happen, or did it?

This is actually normal for a high tensile tube when bent beyond its stress limit. It WILL snap in two places at once. You can actually predict this on theoretical grounds - or so I am told.

And it CAN happen to aluminium tent poles too when they are work hardened and bent beyond endurance. But fortunately that was the last night of a 6 week overseas trip ...

Frank Perkins
(fperkins)

Locale: North East
Re: golfsmith shaft on 01/02/2008 13:02:10 MST Print View

Anyone ever use these shafts to make hiking poles? Only 54g. Do you think they would be too light [if there is such a thing]

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/1907W and on sale for 16 a piece.

Frank

Edited by fperkins on 01/02/2008 15:23:16 MST.

Craig Lewis
(craigl28) - F

Locale: SoCal
Bubble Shaft on 01/02/2008 16:53:31 MST Print View

To make a fun driver, I bought a carbon shaft with a "bubble" structure in the shaft about 5 inches below the handle end. The difference in weight is neglible, but the added strength may be just the ticket for trek poles.
The driver is still in one piece and when I really connect it goes 300 yds! One memorable drive went 345 into a wind!

Jason Klass
(jasonklass) - F

Locale: Parker, CO
Homemade Carbon Trekking Poles on 12/04/2008 21:04:19 MST Print View

Here's my humble attempt using golf club shafts to make trekking poles:

http://jasonklass.blogspot.com/2008/12/diy-gear-project-homemade-carbon-fiber.html

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Homemade Carbon Trekking Poles on 12/05/2008 12:26:14 MST Print View

Very nice Jason! Yet another good creation you've done.

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys
Re: Homemade Carbon Trekking Poles on 02/22/2009 14:11:11 MST Print View

I wanted to make some MYO CF poles for myself and my wife, after seeing some projects from Jay Ham, Jason Klass and Casey Bowden. Our old poles were about 16oz and 18oz, so I thought we could use a little upgrade. We also bought some REI Peak UL poles (6.4oz) during the big sale recently, which brought the weights down, but we could still go lower, and cheaper.

I sourced some CF poles on ebay, and found some "Saltwater Foam Tapered Grip" fishing pole handles at Cabelas ($5 each 0.625 ID), and topped them off with some Leki pole tips ($13). The poles measured 40", and were perfect for my wife (5’4”). For me, I added a 5" extension, and hid that inside the handle. I glued them together with Gorilla Glue on the handles, and craft glue on the tips. The final lengths were 100cm for my wife's pair, and 115cm for mine.

In the end, the weights were:
Naked poles: 2.8oz
Handles: 1.4oz
Leki Tips: 0.4oz
Total: 4.6oz (100cm), 5.4oz (115cm)
long pole
short pole
pole extension

Edited by joegeib on 02/22/2009 14:22:10 MST.