Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Rainbow passes Aussie inspection
Display Avatars Sort By:
Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Rainbow passes Aussie inspection on 01/17/2006 13:17:04 MST Print View

Hi Up and over
You may not know this, but we have very stringent quality standards down here, so all of the tents have to pass a government monitored inspection. I have organized for a friend of mine, coincidentally also named Franco, to conduct the test ( a bit like the old days back home in Italy)
Franco lives in a caravan park, so he is very familiar with all sorts of tents but was very impressed by this one.Here are some of his comments:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Floating floor? That Henry is a genius!
This is longer than my tail !
How high can you float this thing ?

Note
Not every Italian is or was a member of the Mafia.
I used to be part of the lesser known Rafia.
Franco

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
Marsupial madness on 01/17/2006 13:32:28 MST Print View

Arrgh! Bipedal Possums. You residents of Oz actually encourage them? We generally only see their Noth American cousins in a 2 dimensional form on road surfaces but hear their nocturnal rummagings often.

Lovely pictures of the Rainbow, Franco. Henry should use them on his Website. I want to see a picture of it atop Mt. Kosciuszko. Bring your friend.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Rainbow passes Aussie inspection on 01/17/2006 13:35:48 MST Print View

That is one CUTE joey!

Franco, you are killing me... I still have another week or so to wait before I get my Rainbow! :(

Edited by ben2world on 01/17/2006 13:59:16 MST.

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: Rainbow passes Aussie inspection on 01/17/2006 13:54:39 MST Print View

I want one!!!!

First person to deliver a 2-ft 'Roo to my front door gets a free Rainbow.

-H

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Re: Rainbow passes Aussie inspection on 01/17/2006 13:58:40 MST Print View

But is it a kangaroo or a wallaby?

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Re: Re: Re: Rainbow passes Aussie inspection on 01/17/2006 14:56:44 MST Print View

Franco (6 months old)is an Eastern Gray Kangaroo, wallabies have a different tail and longer fur. He is not a pet, Franco is an orphan that is looked after (with 3 others) by friends of mine.
Henry, one of the other orphans, Hailey, is fully grown so over two feet. Is DHL OK?
Hailey spends some of her time with her adopted mob (term for a bunch of roos) but comes back every day.
All of these roos and occasionally a wallaby, are nursed and looked after till they are ready to join one of the various mobs around, they are never pets ( they do behave like a pet dog for the first 10 to 12 months and then they go, usually not to come back again, the females often come back to show off their first joy and then they blend in again with the local wild life. Most have a gradual break up, so they disappear, come back for a feed and a look and go again)

Edited by Franco on 01/17/2006 15:11:04 MST.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Rainbow passes Aussie inspection on 01/17/2006 20:26:23 MST Print View

Franco, that is blatantly unfair! How can any of us other Rainbow aficionados ever hope to compete in such a lopsided promotion campaign? The officials here in Japan (great big jungle crows... smart and tough, but more apt to make potential admirers run away screaming than pump out those dewey eyes) can't hold a candle to your grey roos. About the only super cute candidate remotely in the same league would be the flying squirrels (momonga), but unfortunately they only come out at night when everyone is standing on their heads sleeping in the Rainbow (and you've got your sugar gliders to sort of steal the spotlight even here!).

Nevertheless, that is so cool about the roos. I've always wanted to get to Australia, since I was a boy in fact, to see the wild animals there. One day I want to see a wild tree kangaroo, a wild echidna, a wild cuscus, kookaburra, emu, and moloch. Of course a lot of other animals, too. I've even considered, even now, of enrolling in a wildlife management program in Australia and working there with wildlife. So now I've got two things to envy you about... a Rainbow AND the Australian wildlife. Pough...

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Rainbow passes Aussie inspection on 01/17/2006 23:29:41 MST Print View

I want to visit Oz too!

Hey Franco: If Henry or Kevin or Miguel or Paul or I or any other Yankee wildlife were to show up at your doorstep with our hiking gear -- will you feed and shelter us too?

Edited by ben2world on 01/17/2006 23:30:40 MST.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Re: Re: Rainbow passes Aussie inspection on 01/18/2006 05:54:47 MST Print View

Why not ?
Grass and roo formula awaiting for you.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Re: Re: Re: Rainbow passes Aussie inspection on 01/18/2006 11:14:28 MST Print View

Actually, i prefer eucalyptus leaves, thank you.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Rainbow passes Aussie inspection on 01/18/2006 11:18:25 MST Print View

Actually, I was hoping for that 'extra shrimp on the barbee'!

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
Oz hospitality on 01/18/2006 11:21:03 MST Print View

I prefer the local brew, mate. Then I can make cookpots out of it, afterwards.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Kevin and Paul! on 01/18/2006 16:25:00 MST Print View

You think we scared Franco away?

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
maybe on 01/18/2006 16:33:26 MST Print View

Maybe you did scare Franco off. But remember Fosters is the beer we aussies export, because we don't drink it. Give me VB (not Vapor Barrier but Victoria Bitter) any day

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Re: Kevin and Paul! on 01/18/2006 18:13:11 MST Print View

Ben, Perhaps he's scared, or maybe he's taking Franco-the-Roo back to his adoptive parents? or, he's fallen into a 100 year sleep in his Rainbow? Or, he's "planting mines" in case we do try to show up on his doorstep? Or, he has a life outside of these Forums? If he does, i think that i'd like to borrow it sometime - at least just for a weekend.

Edited by pj on 01/19/2006 00:04:01 MST.

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: Re: Kevin and Paul! on 01/18/2006 21:16:27 MST Print View

No, I think Franco took me up on my offer for a free Rainbow and is on his way here to deliver my 2-foot Roo. Can't wait!!! I'm working on my "Beware of Roo" sign right now.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Re: Work on 01/18/2006 23:30:37 MST Print View

Sorry I had to do some work, after all these tents are so *BEEP* expensive. Just got a parcel from backpacking light with possum gloves/hat/sweater all the way from NZ to the USA to me (great).
You are all very welcome to come and stay with my neighbour ( he does not know, but I am sure he will not mind). Henry you are very welcome, I am looking forward in spending a few weeks talking about the finer points of tent making.Our winter would be better for me.
BTW The floor of the Rainbow feels stronger than the one in the Lighthouse. Why?
BTW I also got the Lightweight backpacking and.... from BPL, 440 something pages, the heaviest book I have on camping.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Re: Secret Agents on 01/18/2006 23:37:50 MST Print View

Actually, I think Franco's off in the Bush training a cohort of two-foot roos to send covertly into Japan to undermine Japanese tent-inspectors. He's even gathered a fleet of Rainbows fitted with Insul Mat Thermo-Maxes so that the roos can float across the Pacific and sail under the cover of darkness into Tokyo Bay. Next thing you know we'll be seeing photos of the Rainbow showing them floating on water and demonstrating their ability to accommodate rudders along the arch pole. Japan will never be the same. Pika-Chu, move over!

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Re: Secret Agents on 01/18/2006 23:41:55 MST Print View

As usual, I'm late to the party. Franco did mentiion he could read minds, didn't he?

Franco, tell me what you think of the book. I got it about two months ago. Mixed feelings about it.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Re Packages on 01/18/2006 23:44:41 MST Print View

Just got my own set of packages, of the Rab Vapour-Trail Smock and the RBH VB Socks (though I still have to stop by the post office to pick up the socks). The Vapour Trail Smock is comfy! Have to try both items out in the mountains this weekend.

Edited by butuki on 01/18/2006 23:53:08 MST.