Palisade Pack
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Eastwood
(easty) - F

Locale: Sierra eastystravels.blogspot.com
Palisade Pack on 04/15/2009 19:18:23 MDT Print View

I had been toying with the idea of making my own version of the coveted Golite Ion, but with the features that I wanted. After a few prototypes, I finally came up with a pattern that I like. Here is a few photos of the third prototype.Palisade Pack with Ice Axe
I'm going to change the shoulder straps a bit on the next one. I also am going to include mesh pockets on the next one. The second prototype that I have being field tested right now, has map pockets on the outside. After hiking with #3, I miss the mesh pockets. I'll post the finished prototype 4 as soon as I'm done.Patterns Cut
This is all the patterns cut and ready to sew.Shoulder Strap Attachment 1
This is the lower shoulder strap attachment.Shoulder Strap Attachment 2
Inside of the back panel with bladder (2ltr.) pocket.Bladder Pocket
This is the Back Panel ready to sew.Back Panel 1
This is how I start the front. Ice Axe Loop and bottom of pack.Ice Axe Loop 1
Sewing the waterproof zipper cam be a little tricky especially when my sewing is not perfect. I added a hydration tube exit port and a back pad pocket. I really like having a removable sit pad. I also sewed in a zippered pocket on the underside of the pack lid for keys and ID. The pack without the sit pad weighs 8.25 ozs. Thought you MYOG junkies might enjoy seeing what I've been tinkering with. I love seeing all of your projects so I thought it was time to contribute some content. Easty (eastystravels.blogspot.com)Pack with Trekking Poles1

Edited by easty on 04/15/2009 19:20:43 MDT.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Palisade Pack on 04/15/2009 19:48:21 MDT Print View

David, that is looking sweet!

Matthew Bishop
(mattsbishop) - F - M

Locale: Northern Frontrange, Colorado
Re: Palisade Pack on 04/16/2009 12:48:43 MDT Print View

Oh man, beautiful pattern. Incredibly clean and simple. You're helping me see how I can make my own packs better, especially that lapped(?) seam for the shoulder straps.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Antoine De Saint Exupery

While I try to live by this maxim, it takes courage. You're helping me to have that courage. Thanks :D

Matthew Bishop
(mattsbishop) - F - M

Locale: Northern Frontrange, Colorado
Re: Palisade Pack on 04/20/2009 11:51:49 MDT Print View

Woops, accidental re-post.

Edited by mattsbishop on 04/20/2009 11:53:58 MDT.