As much as I love backpacking, I'm mainly a bike tourer since I don't own a car and this is how I get places that I want to go to. I've been working on making a 'perfect' set of gear for a while, and have been tweaking the list every few months. This is mainly for summer/fall touring, with some colder weather options listed as optional.
It comes out to about 13.6 pounds of packed stuff, including bags and bottles but not the bike, helmet, or the clothes I'm wearing. I've academically wanted to get the weight below 10 pounds for a while, but given that this is the stuff I'm happy with I'll leave it be for now. I mainly posted this as a resource for others and to see if anyone had an opinion, but I'm still quite pleased with the kit. Some weight concessions I made:
1. I live in Boston and the idea of touring without a mini-U-lock gives me the shakes.
2. Packed size matters a LOT. It's the difference between being able to use the tail bag and handlebar bag instead of a rack, since any more size makes the extra support necessary. For hiking, I'm perfectly happy to sleep on a foam pad. For biking, I want the one that packs up the smallest. I know the Neo-Air just came out but I'm probably going to keep using the BA insulated mummy for a while for the bike. I'm a belly sleeper and the insulation is what made this win out over the clearview, though I may have to try one anyway.
3. A tarp/bivy combo doesn't get the job done in a lot of 'kampground' sorts of places that are accessible from the roads. I ended up with a Nemo Gogo which is heavy, but packs in a nice ball with no poles.
4. I like to be able to get off the bike and walk around a few places along the way. For this, I've caved to girliness and included a wrap skirt and some nice squishy shoes (Fivefingers). The lock also helps here.
5. I have teeny girly arm muscles and the heavy Road Morph pump is the only one I can get the tires up to pressure with.
Here it is packed up last summer on the bike, though with a terrible handlebar bag:
And here's the Google spreadsheet: