Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Punk Rock Lovin' Ultralighters on 01/22/2012 06:38:36 MST Print View

Well how's about them Butthole Surfers?

Just too genius.

. ..
(dgowler)
canuk punk on 01/25/2012 22:25:54 MST Print View

I dont know how well the canadian punk scene is represented here but I have to throw SNFU and Propagandhi into the mix. Listen to "back to the motor leagues" by the latter. You wont know whether to s#!t or go blind, I promise.

Noah Taylor
(lowendtheory)
punk, yes! on 01/27/2012 05:37:53 MST Print View

helllllllls yeah. misfits ALWAYS get stuck in my head on the trail!

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Too old to be punk, but.. on 01/27/2012 14:01:06 MST Print View

For some reason, i just think this tune belongs HERE

Edited by MikefaeDundee on 01/27/2012 14:05:21 MST.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Old school on 01/27/2012 15:35:55 MST Print View

A proper old punk

ben wood
(benwood)

Locale: flatlands of MO
Re: Old school on 01/27/2012 16:55:47 MST Print View

http://riotontheplaza.wordpress.com/2012/01/06/the-outhouse-documentary-gets-a-kickstarter/

check it out for sure!

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Old school on 01/27/2012 18:37:57 MST Print View

Mike very reminiscent of Billy Bragg...the plight of the Union Worker...near and dear to my heart. His reworking of Pete Seeger's song Which Side Are You On

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbddqXib814

For those that DO NOT know who Pete Seeger is should check there Americana musical history

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Old school on 01/27/2012 18:39:43 MST Print View

Devon, I side with a bunch of the older Cannuck bands...ie

DOA
Subhumans
Pointed Sticks
Young Hawians
Riot .303
SNFU
Teenage H++d
Forgotten Rebels

and many others

Hoot Filsinger
(filsinger) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Punk Rock Lovin' Ultralighters on 01/27/2012 20:33:33 MST Print View

Early Bob Dylan-Punk origin,

Read this short blog especially last paragraph. Early Dylan was pure punk art.

http://localmusic.blogs.tuscaloosanews.com/10906/10906/

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Punk Rock Lovin' Ultralighters on 01/28/2012 08:06:19 MST Print View

Bill yes indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only that, but his changing from acoustic folkie to electric angered tons of people

Craig Savage
(tremelo) - F

Locale: San Jacinto Mountains
Noise Rock Lovin' Ultralighters on 01/28/2012 12:06:25 MST Print View

Electric Wizard - Satanic Rites of Drugula

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Noise Rock Lovin' Ultralighters on 01/28/2012 18:35:29 MST Print View

It is Rancid hour in the Helwig towers

christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Locale: hamsterfish
Me too! on 02/04/2012 02:05:42 MST Print View

Just noticed this thread. I'm a bit late. But yep I grew up on punk, and even did some touring with my old punk band before transitioning to the emo rock scene.
Funny how so many of us on this forum have weird things in common besides backpacking.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Re: Re: Re: Old school on 02/05/2012 20:02:59 MST Print View

wait.. subhumans can be named twice? how? wrathchild had to change their name to wrathchild america because of copywrite.. i wonder if the UK subhumans were po'ed.. or visa versa

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 02/05/2012 20:07:14 MST.

Craig Savage
(tremelo) - F

Locale: San Jacinto Mountains
Noise Rock Lovin' Ultralighters on 03/01/2012 21:17:45 MST Print View

punk 'nuff to bring it back

The Body

Lightning Bolt - Sound Guardians

The Body - Empty Hearth

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: RE: Punk Rock Lovin Ultralighters on 03/07/2012 18:28:56 MST Print View

37 years later and still an amazing band. Just got this the other day....

Stranglers

Harald Hope
(hhope)

Locale: East Bay
ah old times... on 03/09/2012 13:40:27 MST Print View

Can't say much old punk resonates anymore, Xray spex though, great band. Jam too. And the pogues, still sound as good today. And hearing crass, brings back a time long gone. But wouldn't seek them out, heard too much good music in the meantime. Though last I heard them, some month or two ago, the song looped through my head for a week.... something about having known all their lyrics by heart I guess. I've found some stuff ages well, some doesn't. Sad to see Poly Styrene go though, she was a true talent. Sad to see the butthole surfers finally suck big time on their last tour, unless they issue some type of public apology or explanation for being so bad that even Paul Leary had to apologize for that. The extra sad thing is that the tour before they were totally on, it was electric, but I guess their inner band tensions just got the best of them. Their 80s tours were probably the best live music I will ever, and did ever, see. Every bit as powerful and intense as the Airplane in their heyday, I am assured by people who saw both. But they weren't punk, they were just the surfers doing their thing, although they did play a few punk songs here and there in their sets from their early days. Gary Floyd for example. But even those were punk with such a twist I'd call it just music.

But I have to admit, when I see new punk bands, I'm always thinking, ok, and you're playing exactly the same thing as I was listening to in 1979.. exactly why? I mean, the circle jerks covered the speed punk, doa the heavy fast stuff, there's only so much you can do with fast power chords.

Now for the new 21st century underground metal, that's some music worth checking out, seems to be where all the creativity has migrated to. Just saw High on Fire, excellent, Mammatus, excellent. Yob was an amazing surprise. Active scene here in the Bay Area. Om, can't wait to see them. I took a 10 year or so hiatus from going out to see heavier music, except the surfers, glad to see the scene is bubbling up so nicely now. Carlton Melton is playing tomorrow at the El Rio. Electric Wizard mentioned above, another good one. Aquarius records, in San Francisco, for those of you willing to date yourselves by remembering this, used to be one of the premier punk record stores, back when they were in the Castro if I remember right, but are now probably the best metal resource out there, they've kept up well with the times, even have a listening station so you can check out the vast array of metal and underground stuff they have. Or tune into kfjc.org, that has lots of great metal shows.

Flipper was great too last week, they still have it, great to see, though Will Shatter I miss greatly, rip. Hanging out with him at late night parties remains one of my most cherished if hazy memories from that era. Had a nice impromptu 3 out of 4 dk miniset, and as far as I'm concerned, the new singer is way better than Jello ever was. Heavy drone attack, is it metal or is it Flipper being their inimitable selves? Who can say? Glad to see at lest one of the bands from back then hold onto everything that made them great.

And of course, Roky Erickson puts all the kids to shame, his last 3 tours have been great, the young bands that back him always properly awed, and elevated above what they would normally be able to do.

With that said, last thing I'd want to hear out in nature would be punk rock, that's for the city, dank dark clubs... nature I want I want to listen to the songs of nature, and I'll never hear them if I keep sticking headphones on. Now mammatus and om, looking out over the pacific from a point reyes bluff as the sun sets into the pacific, that is not the worst thing in the world...

Agent orange is playing may 25 in Santa Cruz, but I assume that's going to be mainly their surf stuff, that's a show I'd love to see though, if I only had a car, grrr....

Edited by hhope on 03/09/2012 14:47:13 MST.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: ah old times... on 03/09/2012 16:46:03 MST Print View

nice write up...many of the bands you listed I enjoy especially The Jam....saw them at the Warfield in 1982 or so. As for Agent Orange...Will be seeing them in Santa Cruz in May...(I live near Santa Cruz) just had to rub it in :)

Harald Hope
(hhope)

Locale: East Bay
jam.. grr on 03/09/2012 18:26:49 MST Print View

I missed that 1982 Jam show, don't remember why, but heard it was one of the best ever. Did see the specials there, same time roughly, also a great show. The Jam though vaporized once paul weller pursued his somewhat questionable fondness for soul type music, so that was a one time thing, that won 't be recaptured. And of course, the annoyance when Ian Curtis killed himself right before Joy Division's first US / West coast appearance here, proving that yes, he really was serious when he said a loaded gun will set you free. And Pils first shows here, nice stuff.

But saw enough raw flipper, doa, avengers, dils, angry samoans, bags, etc to make up for it, even though I did just catch the end of that first wave of groups. Plus the first dk shows here and there. And fun times with Paul Rat and all those types.

I may have to find a way to get to santa cruz, agent orange does not play much, and I grew to really love surf music over the years, also just saw Dick Dale, an incredible show, overheard someone walking out of his recent Uptown Oakland show saying, that may have been the best show I've ever seen... and the odd thing was, it was really good, he's been at it since 1962 or so. Wish I'd seen him before, but he's still top form at his age, post major cancer procedures, as he said on stage, no way I'm going to die on a hospital bed, I want to die on stage, in a big explosion of body parts. And I think he means it. About as punk as it gets there.

Never really stopped the diy parts of punk, so was sort of amazed at my failure to do that with gear until very recently, some mental disorder probably made me never connect the dots, wish I had, never could get boots to fit my feet for backpacking, major hindrance, ul/light solves that.

There's something very familiar about your name to me, but can't put my finger on it.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: jam.. grr on 03/09/2012 18:32:32 MST Print View

My friend owns the Uptown. I think Facinating Creatures Of The Deep opened for Dick Dale at the show. Friend of mine is the guitar player. Sounds like you went to The Mab, Sound Of Music, On Broadway etc. I was from the 1982 era and would go to the Tool and Die, On Broadway, and a little later The Farm. Well and Gilman later too. Good ole Paul Rat and his shows at the 10th St. Hall...yes!

Huge Joy Division fan BTW. Nice to know there are others from The Bay Area that dig old punk rock. I understand listening to new sounds and such. But the old stuff still moves me A LOT. You really should attend out GGG that we hold once a year. We just were at Henry Coe and had 60 something folks show up from all over!