Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Punk Rock Lovin' Ultralighters
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Punk Rock Lovin' Ultralighters on 04/13/2009 19:45:46 MDT Print View

How many are out there? Me being an ex musician (I will not disclose the band) that had a pretty hectic existance, I go into retirement and need a hobby, here I am! I know Jay Wilkerson digs the same tunes that I do. Just thinkin' out loud here!

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
PRLU's on 04/13/2009 20:10:40 MDT Print View

..and the funny thing about me is, Im a member of the Right Brigade

Rick Cheehy
(kilgoretrout2317) - F

Locale: Virginia
Re: PRLU's on 04/13/2009 20:15:19 MDT Print View

Beat on the brat
Beat on the brat
Beat on the brat
with an (ul) baseball bat
oh yea oh yea
oh oh oh

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Punk Rock Lovin' Ultralighters on 04/13/2009 20:24:04 MDT Print View

Yes!!!
I grew up skateboarding and listening to punk in the Los Angeles area. Today I'm a high school art teacher- it was punk album covers, skateboard graphics, and graffiti that got me into art in the first place.

Of course I still listen to punk, still skate occasionally.
I've stopped going to shows though...there's that certain point in life that one gets tired of coming home drunk with a bloody nose and sore ribs. Maybe it's parenthood that does it?

It was such a part of my life...can you ever stop?

My 7 year old son and 5 year old daughter both know the lyrics to plenty of classics...The Misfits "London Dungeon" is my son's favorite song. My daughter thinks Black Flag's Chavo sounds like "an ogre", but cool. "He yells loud Dad!"

Sigh...to think other folks are singing songs from Barney with their kids.

Ron Bell
(mountainlaureldesigns) - F - M

Locale: USA
Re: Punk Rock Lovin' Ultralighters on 04/13/2009 20:51:55 MDT Print View

Shop Music Rules

#1 Ramones are only for before lunch.

#2 Bad Brains are only for after lunch.

#3 Switch to NPR when stack cutting cuben.

Mark Seeley
(mseeley) - F

Locale: Arizona
PRLU's on 04/13/2009 21:08:48 MDT Print View

The only thing better than backpacking in the great outdoors is doing it with a killer playlist of The Pixies, Bad Brains, Butthole Surfers and the Meat Puppets... or new bands like The Hold Steady, The Black Keys and F***'d Up... Helps keep up the pace!

Craig, my 4 year old daughter's favorite song is by the Melvins! Beats the hell out of the Wiggles...

Edited by mseeley on 04/13/2009 21:11:40 MDT.

Nia Schmald
(nschmald) - MLife
Re: Punk Rock Lovin' Ultralighters on 04/13/2009 21:23:29 MDT Print View

I moved to Berkeley in '91 a few blocks away from 924 Gilman. Kind of late in the punk scene, but saw Green Day, Blatz, Fugazi, Offspring, Scherzo (their 7" covering the entire Fleetwood Mac Rumors album is one of the finest punk rock records ever made), Jawbox, Crash Worship, Sleep, Mr T, the Winonah Ryders, etc.

I was in the pit when the hot, lesbi*an (apparently this is considered profanity on this site), dominatrix lead singer of the Insaints, who had already stripped off most of her clothes, peed on the crowd. Hard to get more punk rock than that. She had incredible range, but fortunately just missed me.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
my top 3 on 04/13/2009 21:33:45 MDT Print View

Bad Brains, Minor Threat, The Faction, make the top of the list for me, raw speed, fast riffs, great jams.

Chris Benson
(roguenode) - F

Locale: Boulder
back in the day... on 04/13/2009 21:37:26 MDT Print View

I was a big 2nd wave fan. Into the minutemen, black flag, d.o.a., circle jerks, flipper, dk's, mdc, x, etc... good stuff.

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
...eat fudge banana swirl on 04/13/2009 21:43:48 MDT Print View

Just you and me
We'll travel round the world
Just you and me
Punk rock girl

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

punk rock girl on 04/13/2009 22:24:12 MDT Print View

descendents!
i was (still am) into a variety of jams.. VoiVod from Canada, Melvins and Zeke from Seattle, Avail from Richmond, Husker Du - Minnesota, Die Kruezen from Milwaukee, man the list goes on. How could I forget Seven Seconds and JFA or D.I. and Adolescents?

that was great music, and most the world missed out

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
UL Punk Rock on 04/13/2009 22:48:10 MDT Print View

What about Minor Threat, Scream, Dead Kennedys, SNFU, Social Distortion, Misfits, DOA TSOL, FartZ, Gang Green, DI, Youth Brigade, Uniform Choice, Big Boys, Marginal Man, Dag Nasty, the list will just not stop!!! Suicidel Tendincies, Nils, D.R.I. , Exploited...Somebody stop me- Ken your turn!!!!

Mark Roberts
(antibush)

Locale: Midwest
"Punk Rock Lovin' Ultralighters" on 04/14/2009 06:26:50 MDT Print View

What a great thread!

When I discovered punk rock in the 70s, I felt that I belonged to a small community of people who lived outside of "normal" society. It's a similar feeling belonging to the thru-hiking and ultralight backpacking communities.

Mark

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
Punk Rock Lovin Ultralighters on 04/14/2009 06:47:03 MDT Print View

My age (51) is really showing, I've never heard of half the bands being listed. I will need to send Jay my ipod and have him load a good selection.

I lean more toward the nonultalite heavy metal side when it comes to music, such as Metallica and AC/DC. Old school I know, like me. But there is nothing better then a good mix of the two when working on a MYOG project or seam sealing a new tarp.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Re: Re: Punk Rock Lovin' Ultralighters on 04/14/2009 07:02:50 MDT Print View

"I was in the pit when the hot, lesbi*an (apparently this is considered profanity on this site), dominatrix lead singer of the Insaints, who had already stripped off most of her clothes, peed on the crowd."

Wow. Good times.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Punk Rock Lovin' Ultralighters on 04/14/2009 08:41:22 MDT Print View

I don't know if I'm just old, or un-hip, or both. Historically speaking, it's been both. I was mostly listening to Joe Ely, Gary P. Nunn, and Jerry Jeff Walker during that time. Must be a regional thing. I know I'd rather two-step than get peed on, or get a broken nose in a mosh pit. I guess I am kind of boring.....

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

snafu on 04/14/2009 08:50:37 MDT Print View

battallion of saints, skatenigs, youth of today, sun city girls, and some off-the-wall bands like Ludachrist, even some "doom" like Saint Vitus, GBH, MIA, Agnostic Front, SNFU, Rich Kids on LSD (RKL), Murphy's Law and Agent Orange, Gorilla Biscuits - newer guys like Deisel Boy and Ten Foot Pole. man, i miss my old collection.

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 04/14/2009 10:55:12 MDT.

Ali e
(barefootnavigator) - F

Locale: Outside
"Punk Rock Lovin' Ultralighters" on 04/14/2009 09:05:26 MDT Print View

Ken, welcome to BPL, perhaps we know each other from another world in OC. I used to own Punk Rock PR "REK Publicity" My fondest moment was when I was back stage doing a photo shoot of Ronnie King. He was doing a tribute to the late Jason Thirsk on a grand pinao at the worlds largest punk concert. I got the crap kicked out of me but I got a few of my own in and got the picture. I miss partying from dusk to dawn in the studio, I'd always bring my ukulele and everyone would freak out. Cheers Ali

ben wood
(benwood)

Locale: flatlands of MO
Re: Punk Rock Lovin' Ultralighters on 04/14/2009 10:05:51 MDT Print View

social d, rancid, tim armstrong, dropkick murphys, US bombs, misfits, etc. although i don't listen to at as much as i used to.and thanks for the dead milkmen referce, its been a while since i heard them. i've been starting to get into some jazz these days though. i think its the freedom and the jam sessions that i dig.

Randy G
(rando3369) - MLife

Locale: Western NY
RE: Punk Rock Lovin Ultralighters on 04/14/2009 11:08:10 MDT Print View

I saw the Dead Kennedys in Cleveland circa 1986 at a hole in the wall theater somewhere downtown I think. I also saw the Descendants (as ALL) in 1987(?) near the University of Maryland. They are my favorite 80's "punk" band. One of the gems of that concert that I didn't realize at the time was that GWAR opened for them. For anyone who hasn't seen these guys live - which is problably mostly everyone - they were crazy. I wasn't much into their music, but the show was something that I would be embarased to describe in this or any forum.