Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Buying down fill
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Paul Reid
(Reid) - F

Locale: SouthEast
Buying down fill on 04/12/2009 09:09:15 MDT Print View

I had an idea (and a problem )I thought I'd share. I need to get 800+ down into measured quantities. I've seen people who use ziplock bags to portion it up or other methods but what about just ordering up to 9 seperate orders from Seven Wonders in 2 oz increments. I bet I could even contact them to portion it for me in one order. Thoughts? or suggestions?

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Buying down fill on 04/12/2009 11:17:00 MDT Print View

Shipping will kill you on 9 orders. I just zero my scale with a paper towel tube, then stuff down in the tube until I get what I want, and push it out. I always mean to ask Seven wonders if I can get it in smaller bags, but forget.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Buying down fill on 04/12/2009 11:48:59 MDT Print View

Thru-Hiker sells 800fp down in 3oz packages.

But Joe is correct, not hard to measure/manage if you have the kind of scale that a UL packer would need anyway.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Buying down fill on 04/12/2009 16:14:28 MDT Print View

Hi Joe

> paper towel tube, then stuff down in the tube until I get what I want, and push it out.

BRILLIANT!
And if done inside a large plastic bag to restrain the rest of the down...

Cheers

John Paul Reid
(Reid) - F

Locale: SouthEast
Down on 04/12/2009 16:54:05 MDT Print View

I've got the right scale for it, but I want to use a vaccum cleaner which poses a problem. If I put it in the paper towel roll then I must transfer it back, then into the vaccum. Maybe Ill just get rid of the vaccum part. Thanks for the ideas!