Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Tent stakes in ...
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Bizup
(ScouterInAHammock) - F
Tent stakes in ... on 04/10/2009 19:41:39 MDT Print View

... your pee bottle. That's where mine are. Where do you keep yours?

And yes, I empty the bottle BEFORE packing the tent!

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Tent stakes in ... on 04/10/2009 22:01:03 MDT Print View

Pee bottle?????
What for?

Cheers

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Tent stakes in ... on 04/15/2009 22:03:11 MDT Print View

4 u 2 p 'n

(edited for spelling)

Edited by Franco on 04/15/2009 22:33:43 MDT.

Dan Cunningham
(mn-backpacker)

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons
stakes? on 04/16/2009 07:36:43 MDT Print View

Stakes go in a very tiny silnylon pouch that barely registers on my scale. Then they get rolled up with the Lunar Duo before I stuff it all into it's provided stuff sack.

John Brochu
(JohnnyBgood4) - F

Locale: New Hampshire
re: Tent stakes in on 04/16/2009 09:11:54 MDT Print View

I designed a little cuben fiber stuff sack with a shock cord closure that folds over and snaps around the stakes to hold them together like an elastic band. It weighs 2 grams but it's not multi-use.

Joe must have liked my design because he's listed it for sale on his site.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/stuff_sacks.shtml

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: re: Tent stakes in on 04/16/2009 10:09:01 MDT Print View

John,

I bought one of those sacks from Zpacks a couple weeks ago. Only .07 oz. I have to go with Joe's weight because by 1/10 oz scale registers zero ounces with it.

I bought several sizes of cuben fiber sacks from him, they are incredibly light, and can now dump the pack liner.

John Brochu
(JohnnyBgood4) - F

Locale: New Hampshire
re: "Tent stakes in ..." on 04/16/2009 11:53:51 MDT Print View

Nick,

Yes, his stuff sacks are excellent. I got several sizes to use for food bags along with a rock sack.

Regarding the topic - I thought I saw a post on here where somebody was using a plastic case from a Sea to Summit dry bag as a tent stake holder.

Edited by JohnnyBgood4 on 04/16/2009 11:54:37 MDT.

Adam Behr
(justsomeguy) - MLife
tiny piece of cardboard on 04/17/2009 00:21:46 MDT Print View

I fold a tiny piece of cardboard over the tips (to keep them from poking holes in anything) and secure it in place with a hair-tie.

My hair's long so I always have a few extra hair-ties with me, but they're all put to use in some way or other.

Kent C.
(kent) - M

Locale: High Sierra
re: tent stakes in... on 04/17/2009 01:37:22 MDT Print View

Yes, John. I saw it too. Also an idea reusing a tube that contained candy. Here is the thread URL:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=19230&skip_to_post=151081#151081

Chris Chastain
(Thangfish) - F

Locale: S. Central NC, USA
Tent stakes in ... on 04/17/2009 17:41:24 MDT Print View

... an Aloksac ziplock and slid between the layers of my sleeping pad, which is rolled and used as a pack liner.
Total weight 1.6oz (sack +10 stakes).

David Bizup
(ScouterInAHammock) - F
Multiuse? on 04/18/2009 08:14:23 MDT Print View

Sure, I've put stakes in a zippie or stuff sack and rolled them into my tent, tarp or pad. What I was looking for were multiuse ways to store them. Pee bottle seemed like a good idea: no chance the stakes will puncture anything, and the bottle only comes into play at night when the stakes are holding up a tent or tarp. I'm open to others.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Multiuse? on 04/18/2009 08:58:01 MDT Print View

Well, as long as you have enjoyed storing them in a plastic baggie, why not store them in a USED plastic baggie? Store them in a wrapper from an energy bar or something. Then your trash becomes multiuse.

David Bizup
(ScouterInAHammock) - F
Re: Re: Multiuse? on 04/18/2009 11:27:35 MDT Print View

A used baggie is re-use, not multi-use. Energy bar wrapper, not big enough, doesn't seal, no puncture resistance, gets food smell on my tent. Not gonna try that.

Is there anything else that might work, something we carry that we use when your tent is set but not when your tent is packed?

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Tent stakes in ... on 04/18/2009 15:52:15 MDT Print View

Like many others I use a light nylon stuff sack made for the stakes. But ... the drawcord is strong 2 mm nylon cord (no cordlock). I often use the drawcord hooked under the top of the stakes to pull them out - like when they are frozen in place or jammed between rocks. I pull on the drawcord, NOT on the stuff sack.

Cheers

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Re: Re: Multiuse? on 04/18/2009 19:30:12 MDT Print View

You can wash your ziplocs and reuse them. I do not see any real difference between reuse and multiuse in a closed, finite system like a backpack.

The hairband idea is a good one. Or use a rubber band. You never know when a rubber band might come in handy so having one onhand isn't such a bad idea. Otherwise, you could put them into a stuff sack that has something else in it already, or even store them in a pocket of the jacket you wear as you set up your tent, or roll them up in your spare socks.

My ideas aren't very clever, but I favor simplicity whenever possible. Among the things I carry, nothing is quite the shape of the tent stakes so I would have to add something new if I didn't already have a small, silnylon sack that came with an umbrella that I have reused. Now that I've thought up the rolled socks, I may retire the silnylon sack. So thanks for helping me inadvertently!

Chris Chastain
(Thangfish) - F

Re: Multiuse? on 04/18/2009 19:37:51 MDT Print View

> What I was looking for were multiuse ways to store them.

You tote a pee bottle and you're concerned about a multi-use tent stake bag?

Never mind.

Edit:

Wait, how about a SUL pee ziplock?!?!

Edited by Thangfish on 04/18/2009 21:54:25 MDT.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Tent stakes in ... on 04/18/2009 21:03:32 MDT Print View

Thin titanium stakes could be stored (or jammed) inside your closed cell foam pad.

David Bizup
(ScouterInAHammock) - F
Re: Re: Multiuse? on 04/19/2009 18:59:33 MDT Print View

> You tote a pee bottle and you're concerned about a multi-use tent stake bag?

Sorry dude. Didn't mean to get you knickers in a twist. This is the multiuse forum, and I was looking for a multiuse idea. If you don't have one no need to insult.

This feels like WB.

Chris Chastain
(Thangfish) - F

Re: Re: Re: Multiuse? on 04/19/2009 19:57:31 MDT Print View

> This feels like WB.

Ok, I'll bite.
What's WB?

Dan Cunningham
(mn-backpacker)

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons
Re: Re: Re: Re: Multiuse? on 04/19/2009 20:06:28 MDT Print View