Just discovered this it excites me greatly. I did a search and saw only one reference to it on backpacking light. Must share.
A 32oz Nalgene bottle with the top cut off makes the perfect companion for the Fosters can pot.
(Unforetuneatly the Heinken can is a tiny bit to large.)
Prior to this discovery I thougt the fosters can pot was to delicate in my pack but the Nalgene protects it perfectly plus there are tremendous other benifits.
Starting from the top.
1) combination packs extremely well
2) extremely light and yet also extremely durable when used in combination
3) Nalgene bottle has handy measures on the side and is clear
4) Nalgene bottle can handle boiling water / hot food without melting
5) Nalgene bottle is naturally well insulated so you can fill it with boiling fluids and pick it up without burning yourself.
6) Nalagene bottle and Fosters can pot can be cut to whatever size you like (12, 16, 24, 30+ oz etc) making the set perfectly customizeable to your personal needs
7) Nalgene bottle can possibly double as a pot cozy (I must admit I haven't tried this yet, I guess there is some small potential for it to melt, but I think it unlikely.
8) Nalgene and Fosters are the perfect width to be used as a cup or a bowl, a versatile size.
9) Even if you did destroy your fosters can they can be picked up nearly anywhere.
This may well be potentially the most compact and lightest cook kit short of a ziplock bag.
Note: I have yet to find some fiberglass, kevlar or other insulative wrap to make sure it can fit between the can and the nalgene, but the worst case scenario is I make a removeable insulative sleeve.
My only real problem is figuring out how to add a bead or a little rigidity to the Fosters can so I can more easily pick it up off the fire and hold it.
Lip Guard? I was also having a hard time finding a proper silicone band as a lip guard, but I've discovered a red silicone that is can handle heat up to 700 degrees.
Provided it has no negative health issues (and I don't see why it would once dry) it should be perfect for making a lip guard of my liking on the pot.