Where to Buy a European Style Sleeping Bag Zipper?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben R
(snowfiend131) - MLife

Locale: Western PA
Where to Buy a European Style Sleeping Bag Zipper? on 04/10/2009 11:04:38 MDT Print View

I am trying to make a zip-in groundsheet to turn a Montbell SuperStretch bag into a quilt for two. Trouble is, Montbell (made in Japan) seems to use a zipper with an orientation the reverse of that normally used in the USA. As you look at it, the zipper pull is on the right, and the insertion pin is on the left. See the picture. My googling has told me this is "European Style". USA zippers normally have the zipper pull on the left, and will not mate with this Montbell zipper.

I need to buy a zipper (YKK #8 coil, at least 70 inches long) that matches the Montbell zipper. I have contacted several outdoor notions suppliers (Quest, Seattle Fabrics, The Rain Shed, OWF Inc, Rockywoods) with no luck. I contacted Montbell USA, no luck. I can't get ahold of the company Montbell USA outsources repairs to, Ripstop Repairs.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Do any of our non-USA readers know of a notions shop in your area that would ship to the USA? Any suggestions appreciated.

montbell zipper

Edited by snowfiend131 on 04/10/2009 15:06:38 MDT.

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Simpleton's thought Re: European Zipper on 04/10/2009 11:22:17 MDT Print View

Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture, but couldn't you just reverse the other zipper? I presume the coils are wound the same way.

Ben R
(snowfiend131) - MLife

Zipper Reversing Doesn't Work on 04/10/2009 11:34:57 MDT Print View

No, reversing it doesn't work, I tried that. The coils are indeed different on each side.

Apparantly from what I have read, the plastic teeth zippers are reversable, but not the coils.

Thanks though.

brian blair
(donkey)

Locale: Silverado Canyon
Yup! on 04/10/2009 11:49:12 MDT Print View

I just ran into this same problem working on the same project!

I'll be watching this thread closely....let us know what you find out!

B

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
good question on 04/10/2009 12:28:45 MDT Print View

Just asked my wife, who sews for a living, and she had nothin'.

Good luck!

Ben R
(snowfiend131) - MLife

Brian on 04/10/2009 12:41:16 MDT Print View

I just called Ripstop Repairs for the 12th time, and someone actually answered the phone. The girl on the phone didn't know anything, but hopefully the owner will call me back. Crossing my fingers...

Brian - If they call me back and offer to sell me a zipper, do you want me to get an extra for you? You could paypal me whatever it costs (assuming its reasonable, <$20), and I could mail it to you. Just trying to save you the trouble of contacting them yourself, its rather frustrating.

brian blair
(donkey)

Locale: Silverado Canyon
Absolutely! on 04/10/2009 12:52:24 MDT Print View

That would be awesome, i would really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Brian

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
YKK Europe on 04/10/2009 12:52:59 MDT Print View

I don't know if this is any help Benjamin, but the YKK Europe website is here.

Woubeir (from Europe)
(Woubeir) - F - MLife
Re: Where to Buy a European Style Sleeping Bag Zipper? on 04/10/2009 14:11:21 MDT Print View

You can always try these ones:
http://www.profabrics.co.uk
http://www.shelby.fi
http://www.extremtextil.de

Edited by Woubeir on 04/10/2009 14:13:39 MDT.

Ben R
(snowfiend131) - MLife

European Zippers - Update for Brian on 04/16/2009 04:50:10 MDT Print View

I think I have given up on Ripstop Repairs. I have not heard back from them after a week of trying to call several times a day.

After emailing a dozen companies/people (including those suggested on this board, thanks everyone), OWF Inc did offer to order some zippers for me. However, the minimum order is 10 @ $9 each, plus air freight from Japan (not sure on that cost yet, I just asked).

Brian, if you are still interested, how much of the cost would you be willing to share? I would be more likely to place the order if I didn't have to pay the whole $90+ myself. If you're not interested though, no big deal, just let me know.

Ben R
(snowfiend131) - MLife

European Zipper Update - Sucess on 05/02/2009 17:01:34 MDT Print View

One last update to close out this thread.

I found a seller in Canada, Zipper Shipper, who sold me the zipper I needed, with no minimum order. YKK #8 coil sleeping bag zipper, 110 inches long. Slider configuration matches the one on my Montbell bag. I received it in the mail, and it does indeed fit. Currently on sale for $11, shipping to USA was cheap and quick.

Here's the URL:

http://www.zippershipper.com/81102wayslba.html