Forum Index » Gear Lists » PCT 2009 Gear List

Display Avatars Sort By:
tom lindsley
(tlindsley) - F
PCT 2009 Gear List on 04/10/2009 10:49:14 MDT Print View

Okay, folks. Been a lurker for years. Will attempt the PCT starting on 7 May. Figured I may as well post my gear list & see if anyone has any idea's on how to reduce my weight without buying new crap...I mean stuff.

There are two spreadsheets in this file. One is my list..other is my wife's. I know...she's has too much clothing but she likes it that way.

Cooking, Shelter, & some hygiene items will be shared.

Here it is: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=plJUTRvvJLpyy1brzH2AINA&gid=4

Nia Schmald
(nschmald) - MLife
Re: PCT 2009 Gear List on 04/10/2009 11:07:36 MDT Print View

Welcome out of Lurkerdom Tom. I'll be leaving a little earlier, but will be going slowly so maybe I'll see you on the trail.

Looks like a well thought out list. But, you're only taking a windshirt and a wrap in the desert, if I'm reading correctly. It can rain and snow in the desert and surrounding mountains prior to the sierras. I personally would not be comfortable without a waterproof top of some kind. Also you may want a real compass for route finding in the sierra. But you're coming through after the pack so this might not be truly necessary.

Scott S
(sschloss1) - F

Locale: New England
Looks good on 04/10/2009 12:50:15 MDT Print View

I compared your list with mine, and the only thing I see missing from yours is a spare light source (I'm bringing one of those little Photon things) and something to scoop water out of shallow sources with (corner of a ziploc bag for me).

See you out there--I start April 17th.

tom lindsley
(tlindsley) - F
Danke on 04/11/2009 01:04:06 MDT Print View

Thanks for the input, folks. I think I'm going to see about getting my hands on a tarp that weighs less. Love the BD tarp but....it's built too tough & heavy for what we'll need. Could drop a good 16 ounces.

Maybe we'll run into ya! Can't wait. Been preparing for this on an uber last minute basis. We decided last week to do it. God bless us and our last minute decision making skills.

Anyway, thanks for the review of the list.

Tom