Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Messenger backpacks/daypacks
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Holter
(swordscholar) - F
Messenger backpacks/daypacks on 04/09/2009 23:29:17 MDT Print View

Hi all. I'm looking to get started making the messenger style backpacks (with the large buckling flap fold over) for personal use. I'm looking for the two-strap syles of Chrome, Timbuk2, Rickshaw and many others. I'd like your thoughts, recommendations and hopefully some leads to patterns or designs. I'm new at this, but inspired. Thanks, Ryan.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
laptops on 04/10/2009 07:28:37 MDT Print View

I carry a computer in my Patagonia Critical Mass bag (2007, I think) a bunch, and their design leaves a few things to be desired.

-a good amount of stiff foam in the backpad
-a floating laptop compartment (ie only attached on the top)

These would combine to make the computer a less likely pressure point when the bag is stuffed full. Other essentials:

-2" wide strap with high quality foam
-zippered internal organizing compartments
-bomber, waterproof fabric ( I like the ballistics, but light urethene wouldn't be bad)
-full hanging liner fabric (to ensure waterproofness)
-clip on the back for a blinky light the makes the light actually visible with a fully stuffed bag
-potential to fully extent the lid straps to carry big boxes in addition to a normal load

Good luck.

Matthew Bishop
(mattsbishop) - F - M

Locale: Northern Frontrange, Colorado
Re: Messenger backpacks/daypacks on 04/10/2009 13:52:15 MDT Print View

I've made one of these myself loosely based on Chrome and Timbuk2 bag designs. It was pretty straightforward to sew up. If I get some free time this weekend I'll make a basic pattern for it.

courier pack, open

Matthew Bishop
(mattsbishop) - F - M

Locale: Northern Frontrange, Colorado
Re: Re: Messenger backpacks/daypacks on 04/13/2009 16:39:16 MDT Print View

Here's a basic pattern for the body of the pack above. A real slapdash effort to be sure, but it may be of some help. Units are in centimeters.

courier pack pattern

Ryan Holter
(swordscholar) - F
Thanks! on 04/14/2009 15:18:16 MDT Print View

I appreciate the pattern--thank you for posting it. Ryan