Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Who's hiking the JMT this year?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Robert Perkins
(rp3957) - M

Locale: The Sierras
JMT- Extra Permit Space on 05/07/2009 19:17:28 MDT Print View

I will be hiking the JMT from Tuolumne Meadows SOBO, starting on Aug. 11th. I have permit space for 5 and have a couple people dropping off at Reds Meadow. There are two of us planning on going the rest of the way. I have planned on 11 nights, and would like to push ourselves to maybe 10 nights. We will be looking at anywhere from 14 - 20 miles a day, depending on camp locations. There are a few spots that I really like camping at for swimming or for the view, that it is worth it to either push for more miles or have a slow day. We will be staying in Mammoth Lakes Aug. 10th and taking YARTS to TM on Tue. Aug. 11th. The first couple of days will be kind of a 'warm-up', so -to-speak, as there will be a couple of extra people until Reds. After Reds the tempo will pick up.

Ernie Sanchez
(thereyet) - F

Locale: So. Cal.
Re: Who's hiking the JMT this year? on 06/24/2009 16:08:57 MDT Print View

My brother and I will be at the Yosemite Wilderness permit building on July 28th looking to get one walk on permit for the whole JMT, for me and my brother will be leaving at Lake Thomas Edison. I plan to be on the JMT for about 20 days. Is there overnight camp sites for backpackers near the Visitor center?

Thanks

Matthew Parker
(mparker20) - F

Locale: SoCal
JMT on 06/24/2009 20:24:12 MDT Print View

Ernie,
my wife and I are starting the same day and are planning on 19 days on the trail, I suspect that we will bump into you several times along the way.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Who's hiking the JMT this year? on 06/24/2009 21:19:48 MDT Print View

I'll be up there for a few days from Aug 3rd to Aug 6th helping and pacing Michael Popov as he goes for the supported record.

Last year was a bad year for him but this year will be an absolute assault.

It has to be this way since Kilian Jornet, (probably the best runner in the world right now) is going for the record in Sept.

I am going to help out in every location I can that I have not been on so I'll finally have (almost, so close) done a complete JMT.

Douglas Prosser
(daprosser) - MLife

Locale: Camarillo, California (SCAL)
Starting 8/12 South bound on 06/24/2009 22:14:56 MDT Print View

I'll be one of a group of 4 hiking south bound from Yosemite. We're all "graduates" of a BPL Wilderness Trekking One-Dessert Southwest course last year. We're planning on hiking 14 days.

Ernie Sanchez
(thereyet) - F

Re: JMT on 06/25/2009 10:29:02 MDT Print View

Hey Matthew..looking forward to meeting you guys..Where will you be camping prior to your departure? And the count down continues.

Edited by thereyet on 06/25/2009 10:35:49 MDT.

Ernie Sanchez
(thereyet) - F

Re: Re: Who's hiking the JMT this year? on 06/25/2009 10:32:27 MDT Print View

Hey Aaron...thank you very much for sharing the information and we'll be on the look out.

Edited by thereyet on 06/25/2009 10:36:42 MDT.

Matthew Parker
(mparker20) - F

Locale: SoCal
Not Sure on 06/26/2009 00:08:10 MDT Print View

Ernie,
Still not sure where we will be camping prior to the trip, need to get on this.

Yohei Aoyagi
(zzz_bear) - MLife

Locale: Tokyo
July 15 from Happy Isle on 06/30/2009 09:51:08 MDT Print View

Hello,

I will start Thru-hiking on July 15 from Happy Isle.
I couldn't get a permit by mail, I'll get a first-come, first-served permit.

Please say "Hi" if you see me on the trail!
I am Japanese man, maybe use ULA Conduit.

Thanks
Yohei

Ernie Sanchez
(thereyet) - F

Re: Re: Who's hiking the JMT this year? on 07/02/2009 10:21:36 MDT Print View

Well, I'm down to Mr. Solo...my brother had to bail due to work restraints. I will now be on Amtrak from Oceanside to L.A. bus to Bakersfield, Amtrak to Merced and bus to visitor center, what a day. I'll keep the same JMT schedule..see you all on the trail.

Lida Bartosova
(Liduska1) - F
Anybody for August 15th??? on 07/13/2009 10:57:19 MDT Print View

I am looking for a partner for JMT. Starting date August 15th and planning on finishing in 10 or 11 days.

Jonathan Larson
(jonathandlarson) - F

Locale: Orange County, CA
JMT Hike on 07/22/2009 13:40:39 MDT Print View

I'll be setting out solo July 30 from Happy Isles and hopefully ending at Whitney August 10-11. See you all on the trail. I'll be the guy with dreads and wearing sandals.

Ryan Teale
(monstertruck) - F - M

Locale: Almost Yosemite
Who's hiking the JMT this year? on 07/31/2009 22:39:39 MDT Print View

Hi all. I'll be hoping to get a walk up permit to start on Friday August 21st. Aiming to finish in 14 days with resupply and a night at VVR. Hope to see some of you out there!!

Steven Thompson
(stevet) - M

Locale: Northeast
I am on 08/04/2009 11:06:46 MDT Print View

I leave for Yosemite on Aug 21st. Plan is to get a walk up permit Sunday morning and set out Monday the 24th. 13 hiking days with resupply at Red's Meadow and MTR.

Adam Parsons
(marble0707) - F
Going in September? on 08/12/2009 00:45:16 MDT Print View

Anyone planning on going in September? I'd like to find a group. Pretty good pace too, 12ish days

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
JMT July/ August on 02/11/2010 17:36:01 MST Print View

I'm planning a solo SOBO hike, starting July 27/28/29 (still have to pin that one down). I'll need to pick up a walk-up permit, though. Planning on finishing on August 11 or so.

Even though I know the numbers are against me, why do I sigh so heavily after getting my rejection email from the permit office?

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
Re: JMT July/ August on 02/11/2010 17:58:41 MST Print View

Myself and 3 others are hitting the JMT on July 18, 2010. We'll be pacing ourselves for 3 days to get to T. Meadows and afterwards 8-12 miles a day (averaging 10 miles) to get to Whitney Portal with perhaps one down day at either VR or MTR, not sure about the down day. Ages between 53-65. It will be my 3rd yr on the JMT, 11th yr in the High Sierras.

You'll be able to distinguish me because of the fishing vest I wear. Also I'll have a 1.75" button showing a picture of John Muir (greytone) with the logo "JMT@YG" -- I also belong to JohnMuirTrail@YahooGroups and we have an identifying logo button.

We'll be picking up 3 more people at Reds Meadow who will be going on to Whitney Portal then (well 1 of them quits at OnionValley).

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Re: Re: JMT July/ August on 02/11/2010 18:53:47 MST Print View

Roleigh:

Why don't you just move out to CA or better yet, NV, so you don't have so far to go each summer?

Get away from the MN snow and cold winds!

Don't come to OR unless you're bringing lots of money.

Kimberly Mooers
(godschildren) - MLife
Re: JMT July/ August on 02/20/2010 11:41:08 MST Print View

Hello fellow hikers. I am looking for a small group to join on a thru hike during July or August.

Kim wyldeflower@optonline.net

Edited by godschildren on 02/22/2010 05:00:55 MST.

bryan c.
(bugsdad) - F
JMT/HST combo! on 02/25/2010 22:35:53 MST Print View

I actually posted this in the Class of 2010 thread before I saw this one. Looks more active in here so I thought I'd post here too......
I'm planning on a JMT/HST hike starting at Tuolumne on Aug 29th and ending at the Wolverton Creek trailhead at the end of the High Sierra Trail on our about Sept. 18th. Planning on detouring and spending a night at Lake South America and heading down the Kern to the HST once I leave the JMT at the junction.
Never done the JMT but have done Whitney several times including a planned day hike with my mom this July, so figured this trip would be a great way to see more of the Sierras and finish my aborted 2005 HST trip.
I'd love any recommendations for favorite campspots along the JMT portion. My itinerary will be fairly loose with campspots in mind, but also with the idea that if I find a beautiful spot to camp or want to extend or shorten a day I will.
Can't wait!!