Forum Index » GEAR » Event Socks!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Sean Walashek
(caraz) - F

Locale: bay area
Event Socks! on 04/07/2009 21:50:59 MDT Print View

I have been meaning to ask this question for too long now. Where or where are the event socks? Those rocky gortex have been the only kids on the block for some time now. Do they exist? If not, why not. If so where can i find em?
Thanks
Sean

N. F.
(NeezyDeezy) - F

Locale: ADKs
why wouldn't you want this just in your boots? on 04/08/2009 13:39:33 MDT Print View

seems like abrasion would kill the DWR in minutes

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Event Socks! on 04/08/2009 13:43:24 MDT Print View

Not answering the questions, but I wonder just how effective and durable are those Goretex socks?

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Event Socks on 04/08/2009 14:10:57 MDT Print View

Very durable Ben. But horrible to wear.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Event Socks on 04/08/2009 14:38:03 MDT Print View

Because?

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Event Socks on 04/08/2009 15:23:52 MDT Print View

Generally thick to increase durability - more so than a wool sock (in my opinion). In effect, you end up making your footwear 'smaller.' They don't breath at all. If you think a gortex shoe suffers in breathability, you might as well put garbage bags over your feet inside your shoe instead of wearing gortex socks. As your foot sweats it moves and brings the pleasure of blisters.

Realistically, however, I do find them beneficial in cold conditions as an extra barrier with lightweight hikers.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Goretex Socks on 04/08/2009 16:15:02 MDT Print View

I see. Thanks.

Sean Walashek
(caraz) - F

YEA! on 04/08/2009 16:21:34 MDT Print View

There are some by a company called trekmates that arent nearly as uncomfortable but only available in the UK. It just seems to reason that a membrane with the breathability of event would excel in a sock. Mind you it would not be bonded to a high denier nylon but could be bonded to something more comfortable like the trekmates.

Brian Lewis
(brianle) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
Horrible to wear? on 04/08/2009 21:19:04 MDT Print View

"But horrible to wear."

I think this might vary based on what else you're wearing. Bare skin inside a goretex sock? I wouldn't care for that.
Thin liner sock only? I've done that, and agree it's not the most comfortable.

But if you're wearing a wool sock in colder weather --- and yes, size the socks accordingly --- I don't find them uncomfortable.

As far as breathability, as a review at one point on this site said, I think this varies based on how breathable your shoes are. I don't think they're as bad as just wearing plastic bags or any sort of Vapor Barrier.

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Horrible to wear? on 04/08/2009 21:38:14 MDT Print View

Brian said: "But if you're wearing a wool sock in colder weather --- and yes, size the socks accordingly --- I don't find them uncomfortable."

Me neither. Last week I had to hike out of a canyon after a "possibility of snow" dumped four to five inches of heavy, wet snow on me. The GTX socks inside trail runners and over wool socks combined with knee-high gaiters made the hike rather pleasant. I was comfortable enough that I wasn't even thinking about my feet.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Re : Uncomfortable? on 04/09/2009 07:33:45 MDT Print View

I've just got back today from a 5 day trip in very wet and cold conditions. The ground was either saturated or covered in fresh wet snow. I was wearing the Rocky's over Smartwool Adrenaline socks inside a pair of Inov8 Roclite 295's.
I only removed the Rocky's to sleep, and had the same pair of socks on for the 5 days. My socks stayed dry for the whole time, and my feet stayed very comfortable.

Sean Walashek
(caraz) - F

so what your trying to say is.... on 04/10/2009 10:13:07 MDT Print View

Event oversocks don't exist?