Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Where Can a PCTer Leave a Message For a JMTer?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Joshua S
(joshualee101) - F - M
Where Can a PCTer Leave a Message For a JMTer? on 04/06/2009 19:00:09 MDT Print View

I'm planning on hiking the PCT and know a couple people who will be hiking the JMT in the opposite direction. We have talked about the first person to pass through leaving a message for the other person somewhere along the trail. Any suggestions on a good place to leave a message? Message boards, trail registers, etc.

Cheers

Brian Lewis
(brianle) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
Where Can a PCTer Leave a Message For a JMTer? on 04/07/2009 11:08:18 MDT Print View

First that comes to my mind is a shared resupply point, such as MTR (Muir Trail Ranch) or VVR (Vermillion Valley Resort).

People leave notes on the ground under a rock and that sort of thing all the time, it's a common way for thru-hikers to connect with someone behind them, but effectiveness varies depending on how long it's to stay out there.

Another possibility is one of the bear lockers along the trail: http://climber.org/data/BearBoxes.html

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Where Can a PCTer Leave a Message For a JMTer? on 04/07/2009 15:16:53 MDT Print View

Red's Meadow is a close one to the trail also. I don't remember if they had any kind of bulletin board at Devil's Postpile.