Forum Index » Chaff » Lightweight Inspiring Books

Display Avatars Sort By:
Max Hoagland
(maxhoagland) - F
Lightweight Inspiring Books on 04/05/2009 18:18:06 MDT Print View

I don't know how many of you bring books on the trail, but I certainly use them to help me become inspired for trips. I just finished reading "The Dharma Bums" by Jack Kerouac and the way he describes climbing up the Matterhorn really makes me want to go hiking. I was curious if any of you guys have some favorite novels to recommend, besides the classics (Emerson, Krakauer, Abbey, Leopold, Thoreau, (Aristotle)) that help fill the naturalist/ mountainist cravings during down time.

Ali e
(barefootnavigator) - F

Locale: Outside
"Lightweight Inspiring Books" on 04/05/2009 18:40:39 MDT Print View

I dont know if this counts but I write my own. I always have a small journal and a pencil. I try and draw pictures also. It turns out to be great reading on a cold rainy night. When I'm done they make great gifts. Also if life feels a bit stagnant you can go back and look at all the cool stuff you did. Here is my picture of a trip to the dentist. Sorry its all I have on this pc but I think you get the picture. Aliart by alan

I got the inspiration to do this from Mike Clelland which brings to mind Lighten Up. Even if you have backpacking light down his pictures are worth the price of the book

Edited by barefootnavigator on 04/05/2009 18:46:31 MDT.