Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
What is most ultralight belt?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
What is most ultralight belt? on 04/04/2009 12:41:53 MDT Print View

I'm looking for an ultralight belt. I've seen them sometimes come sewn into pants. They're about 3/4" wide, very thin fabric, and the plastic hook is very small.

I found this on the net

http://www.strapworks.com/Sports_Belt_p/sbpc34l.htm

Sports Belt 3/4" w/ Nylon Cam Buckle & Lightweight Polypropylene

Does anyone else have recommendations for an ultralight belt?

Thanks.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: What is most ultralight belt? on 04/04/2009 13:56:34 MDT Print View

If you've got a local source for strapping and buckles, make one yourself. I've found that it's the best way to get exactly what I want. If the belting is too soft it tends to fold up when tightened. It's hard to find a commercial, nylon webbing belt, that has all of your desired features. It's easier to find a good backpack.

Fortunately there are good sources in Berkeley, where I can get to them.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: What is most ultralight belt? on 04/04/2009 15:50:00 MDT Print View

Probably Spectra cord with a cord toggle to tighten it. Similar to the BPL Thoroghfare pants. I like this set up.

Jeremy Greene
(tippymcstagger) - F

Locale: North Texas
Re: What is most ultralight belt? on 04/04/2009 19:12:13 MDT Print View

I removed one from some Royal Robbins pants nmiller08 gave me. It uses the same buckle as a pair of Mountain Hardwear pants I have. (It is not the buckle in your picture.)

The belt is yours. It should go up to about a 40" waist.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Re: What is most ultralight belt? on 04/07/2009 14:06:39 MDT Print View

Ah, Nick-
So heavy! Just a piece of Spectra cord with a slipknot in a trucker's hitch!

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: What is most ultralight belt? on 04/07/2009 15:02:57 MDT Print View

I made a belt from a leftover toggle thingie and a thin piece of elastic cordage. I have to slip on my pants with the belt fastened, but I left a lot of extra cordage to allow for that. Not as light as spectra cord with a fancy knot, but being able to whip your pants off in a flash can be useful if you really have to go.

Lately I've been harvesting webbing and fasteners from stuff at the thrift store.

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
Re: What is most ultralight belt? on 04/09/2009 21:38:36 MDT Print View

I just got this belt:

http://www.strapworks.com/Sports_Belt_p/sbpc34l.htm

Sports Belt 3/4" w/ Nylon Cam Buckle & Lightweight Polypropylene

it is only .7 oz heavy, very light. I wanted this to tie my cuben fiber parcho tight around the waist when not using it with a pack. My other belt is sewn into my hiking pants.

And this belt is 61" long, I can cut it shorter bringing the weight probably down to .55 oz.

With shipping the belt was less than $10.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: What is most ultralight belt? on 04/10/2009 00:05:20 MDT Print View

"I made a belt from a leftover toggle thingie and a thin piece of elastic cordage. I have to slip on my pants with the belt fastened, but I left a lot of extra cordage to allow for that. Not as light as spectra cord with a fancy knot, but being able to whip your pants off in a flash can be useful if you really have to go."

Diane -

Add a mini biner. Let the toggle catch in the narrow end and attach the biner to a loop on the other end of the cord. Now you can use the toggle to tighten the belt and in a flash you can undo the belt by unclipping the biner or sliding the toggle away from the narrow part of the biner. You are 95% there :)