Bishop Pass to Lamarck Col (hey Taylor, Ken & ...)
Display Avatars Sort By:
cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
Bishop Pass to Lamarck Col (hey Taylor, Ken & ...) on 04/04/2009 11:19:45 MDT Print View

Okay - I think this trip would work. Still working on dates, but I'm thinking mid to late July to mid August.

Taylor, this trip should have good fishing from day 1. Long Lake early on is known for big Browns & Rainbows - not as much for numbers & it does get pressure, so they aren't always willing to bite easily. Beyond that, though, the other lakes before Bishop Pass have very willing brook trout among other species. At one inlet, I caught a brookie, a rainbow & a brown on 3 consecutive casts.

Over Bishop Pass in Dusy Basin is the chance for goldens & rainbow-golden hybrids, possibly large fish.

From there it's new territory for me, but the streams & meadows promise excellent fishing & breathtaking scenery, framed by striking peaks. It's one of the most beautiful stretches of the JMT - Big Pete Meadow & Evolution Valley further North. A couple lakes, too - not sure how they fish.

Then Darwin Bench & Lakes, with golden trout & the chance for some big fish if timing & luck are with us.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Bishop Pass to Lamarck Col (hey Taylor, Ken & ...) on 04/05/2009 16:33:25 MDT Print View

Cary, I have been dreaming doing this route for years. If you would be so kind as to let me crash your party, I would be quite greatful! However if the dates are the last week of July then I would not be able to attend due to Work commitments. However, DO NOT schedule this around my schedule, this is your trip. But any date that would include the 2nd-3rd week in July or the first two weeks of August I'd love to attend. I could even provide transportation too.

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

with my recent vehicle troubles on 04/05/2009 21:22:09 MDT Print View

i'd be a fool to turn down a ride :)

your good dates are pretty close to what i was thinking of

i'll look at work schedules & try to get it going pretty quick

maybe 4-5 people i think at most, given the paucity of good camp spots on darwin bench & lakes

so me, ken - taylor you coming? jay? who else is interested?

Scott Smith
(mrmuddy) - M

Locale: No Cal
Bishop Pass to Lamarck Col on 04/05/2009 21:37:44 MDT Print View

Hey guys ..

On the heels of that last post .

Just an FYI .. There are 5 of us . taking this exact route . heading up Bishop Pass on Sunday Aug 9th ..

Again .. just an FYI ..

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

guess we have to go in on the 8th on 04/05/2009 22:32:14 MDT Print View

hurry to darwin bench & entrench ourselves to hold seige

i'm thinking july will probably work - looks like not a super high snow year & i'm anxious to get up there

i don't think 2 of my jobs are usually very booked up for july, either

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: guess we have to go in on the 8th on 04/06/2009 09:20:52 MDT Print View

Cary, thank you for your graciousness. Pick a date and I am there. The sooner the better for me due to filling out a vacation request form for work. No big deal on that one, but earlier the better. July 8th could be real nice up there. I'd suspect that there would still be snow on the passes, so ice axes would be in order, and possibly crampons? July 8th would be cool. How many days do you think. One to car camp, Darwine Bench, Evolution Valley, Dusy Basin, and then out?

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

i want to go reverse order - like jay did a couple years ago on 04/06/2009 09:37:00 MDT Print View

so first day be bishop pass - maybe camping dusy basin (but i want to fish a couple lakes on the way in)

2nd day maybe muir pass, so camping one of the lakes after: wanda, 11293, sapphire or thereabouts

then the bench

then out

playing w/ idea of a layover day to explore & fish more - i'd like the option of going slower if exploring & fishing is good

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: i want to go reverse order - like jay did a couple years ago on 04/06/2009 09:42:20 MDT Print View

Either way would be cool. Maybe a layover in Dusy???

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

layover in dusy on 04/06/2009 09:44:55 MDT Print View

would allow a knapsack pass attempt to barrett lakes if we are feeling particularly frisky

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: layover in dusy on 04/06/2009 11:34:26 MDT Print View

EXACTLY! I was thinking the same thing. I have always wanted to cross that pass into that basin!!!!

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

looking at july 11-19 in there on 04/06/2009 12:34:57 MDT Print View

(11th is sat, 19th is the following week sunday)

seems like instead of camping somewhere en-route, we could drive to bishop & then go in to one of the earlier lakes (before bishop pass) - only means one more dinner & breakfast to carry (i suggest trout)

if this sounds good, i'll try for reservations asap - i'll put 3 choices for entry date "11th, 12th, 13th"

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: looking at july 11-19 in there on 04/06/2009 12:46:51 MDT Print View

Perfect!

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

reservation is faxed in on 04/06/2009 13:31:40 MDT Print View

put 7/11, 7/12, 7/13 for 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice start dates

called first & they have a few slots left right now each day (i think it was 8,6,16 slots in order)

reserved for 5 people

so far:

Cary
Ken

Let me know as soon as you can if you are interested.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: reservation is faxed in on 04/06/2009 13:43:15 MDT Print View

Cary did you get an exact day or will they let you know on any of those 3 different days. If there is a concrete day to start, I will fill out the paperwork (just a formality) for the time off. Stoked!

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

they will send a confirmation - usually takes 3-4 days on 04/06/2009 13:45:36 MDT Print View

i'm guessing we'll get the 11th though, unless the fax that bumped me when i tried to send in mine was for a group going in on the same day on bishop pass trail ;)

Robert Blean
(blean) - MLife

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras
Weather on 04/06/2009 16:59:53 MDT Print View

Looks like most of the trip is at about 11,000' to 12,000'. What sort of conditions are you expecting? Much snow still left? Mosquitoes? Etc?

-- MV

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

in July on 04/06/2009 17:12:12 MDT Print View

I expect hordes of mosquitos - that is one of the downsides to July.

I expect good chance of thunder & lightning and afternoon storms with potentially heavy rains & wind - we will be within sight of thunderbolt peak part of the trip afterall. years ago, my dad found 2 hikers dead in their tent on dusy basin side of bishop pass - they'd been fried by lightning.

I expect the fish to be on the bite - that is one of the best parts about going in July.

And I expect incredibly beautiful high sierra landscapes - a nice mixture of lush meadows, opal lakes & stark granite.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: in July on 04/06/2009 17:28:42 MDT Print View

Being on the Sierra Crest, that is the chance you take with lightening. I have been in some interesting moments with T-Storms. Mosquitos will be a problem, but not at 10,000+ my thoughts anhyways. Bob sounds like you are interested in attending?????

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

i've been bitten at over 12000 ft on 04/06/2009 17:49:44 MDT Print View

blood thirsty savages will stop at nothing

i think often up higher there is more wind & they don't do well in wind ;)

Robert Blean
(blean) - MLife

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras
Re: Re: in July on 04/06/2009 18:03:22 MDT Print View

"Bob sounds like you are interested in attending?"

I am considering the matter. As you may know, I recently discovered that I have a problem with hips and knees. Especially since I really do not yet know my limitations, if any, I want to ensure that going on this trip would be the right thing to do.

--MV