Forum Index » Chaff » I hate city life

Display Avatars Sort By:
cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
I hate city life on 04/03/2009 15:25:15 MDT Print View

wish i could just live in the wilderness sometimes

my wallet was lost or stolen at softball game last night - had all my paychecks in the wallet & i'm broke

now major hassle - cancel reissue everthing & someone might now become a worse version of me, using the ID

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

sigh on 04/03/2009 15:48:19 MDT Print View

was about to head in to get at least some work done today after spending much of the day first trying to track down my wallet, then canceling credit card, atm, etc.

car starter or battery is dead: click, click, click

no cash, credit card or ID on me

i want to go hike & fish

Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
I hate city life on 04/03/2009 17:00:27 MDT Print View

Hang in there Buddy!

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: I hate City Life on 04/03/2009 17:09:21 MDT Print View

Ouch...

FWIW -- now that you've reported your cards stolen, you're off the hook even if someone should try to use your cards and actually succeeds!

The good thing about losing cards -- versus a whole wad of cash -- is that it is merely an annoyance -- and not a catastrophe (just imagine if you had cashed your paychecks before the game)!

Hang in there. Things will be alright again.

Edited by ben2world on 04/03/2009 17:10:15 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: I hate city life on 04/03/2009 17:14:54 MDT Print View

It's a major bummer, Cary, and I am really sorry it happened.
Sounds like you're taking care of the business of getting up, dusting yourself off, and wading back into the fray. One additional thing you should do: Think about Lamarck Col and those 18" Goldens awaiting your delicate presentations. No stinking thieves up there. Not even a bear.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
crappy. on 04/03/2009 18:46:42 MDT Print View

that sucks. i had my wallet and other possessions stolen at a softball game years ago, and i was like... really?

nothing ever bad happens out in the woods and mountains. get out when you get a chance, and lay on a warm rock in the sun.

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

nice, thanks on 04/03/2009 18:56:19 MDT Print View

yeah, looking forward to the high sierra hiking this summer - seems like around this time of year is always toughest, as it's getting warmer and sunnier down here, but still a loooong way to go before it's hiking season in the high country

i've had fish stolen in the backcountry by, appropriately, martes pennantimartes pennanti

Taylor Ginther
(Tippet) - F

Locale: San Diego
It's karma! on 04/03/2009 19:11:23 MDT Print View

Shouldn't have thrown those fishguts in the water! LOL

JK brother, wait it out this downward pain-spiral will end, and you can look forward to the uphill climb ti happiness once again. If you get a few days off, shoot down to SD and I'll buy you a beer.

Dan Cunningham
(mn-backpacker)

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons
Re: I hate city life on 04/03/2009 19:19:00 MDT Print View

There are very few problems in life that beer can't solve... for a few hours anyway. )

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

no beers for a while unfortunately on 04/03/2009 19:39:16 MDT Print View

not only did i sorta quit for a bit, but the tick that bit me resulted in a prescription for doxycycline "just in case"

i'm two days into 10 days of doxy

so while the cars not running, i'm getting the runs

Rick Cheehy
(kilgoretrout2317) - F

Locale: Virginia
well there's your problem on 04/03/2009 19:41:05 MDT Print View

Ouch, sorry bro at least hiking's free. Hey if it goes click it might be cheaper than a starter. Nung nung is a starter. Click is a battery, bad celinoid (both sort of cheap)or maybe your alternator died an is not charging your battery. (hurts some more). And yes Beer and Mountains, sweet beer and mountains.

Rick Cheehy
(kilgoretrout2317) - F

Re: well there's your problem on 04/03/2009 19:42:54 MDT Print View

oops sorry I was typing when you posted! Umm... Ben and Jerrys
and a snickers sweet snickers.

Dan Cunningham
(mn-backpacker)

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons
Re: no beers for a while unfortunately on 04/03/2009 19:58:01 MDT Print View

Ben and Jerry's is a fantastic option. I'd go with that if beer is off the list.

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

i ate a chocolate bunny on 04/03/2009 20:00:01 MDT Print View

chocolate with almonds bunny, actually

thanks, mom (she sent an easter package)

Rick Cheehy
(kilgoretrout2317) - F

Re: i ate a chocolate bunny on 04/03/2009 20:05:46 MDT Print View

This will cheer you up. See that bearspray in my hand in that avatar pic? I shot that sucker off in my pocket about a year ago. It was on my honeymoon. Needles to say I was not able to fulfill my husbandly duties that night.
Next time I'll just let the bear maul me!

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

do you really on 04/03/2009 20:06:58 MDT Print View

call your wife "the bear" ??

Rick Cheehy
(kilgoretrout2317) - F

Re: do you really on 04/03/2009 20:18:38 MDT Print View

LOL that was great! Oh man that made my day.

Robert Blean
(blean) - MLife

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras
Waiting for High Sierra hiking season on 04/03/2009 20:53:20 MDT Print View

"yeah, looking forward to the high sierra hiking this summer - seems like around this time of year is always toughest, as it's getting warmer and sunnier down here, but still a loooong way to go before it's hiking season in the high country"

On this last trip, Nate and I were talking about whether a trip into northern Coe might be a good idea in the post-Rancheria time, while waiting for the snow to melt in the high country. Worth exploring, Cary?

-- MV

Taylor Ginther
(Tippet) - F

Locale: San Diego
OK by way of trying to on 04/03/2009 22:44:02 MDT Print View

change the recent direction and bad luck of Cary's life, I'd like to plan a trip into the Sierras for ASAP. Cary: I've never been in the Sierras, I'd like to find a place to go. It should be hard enough to get there that there's never much pressure on the fish. At a minimum there should be a high lake or even better, a chain of lakes, and for bonus points there would eb a brook or two along the way that does have a population of trout.

Where and when would you like to meet at the trailhead?

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

awesome ideas Bob & Taylor - btw wallet was FOUND! on 04/03/2009 23:13:07 MDT Print View

right where my gym bag was at the softball game

although credit card & ATM, as well as 4 checks, already canceled, at least i don't have to worry about identity theft stuff or deal with getting a new drivers license (btw that sounded particularly onerous)

really never been in the Sierras Taylor? Most places you won't like the size of the trout, i think, if you are used to wyoming & montana, but there are some good spots

you want any particular species - goldens, cutthroats, brookies, rainbows, browns?