Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Rain Shed Alpine Rucksack

Display Avatars Sort By:
J R
(RavenUL) - F
Rain Shed Alpine Rucksack on 01/11/2006 15:38:23 MST Print View

Has anyone used the Rain Shed Apline rucksack pattern to make a backpack?

I cant find much about anyone actually USING this pattern to make something, but it looks like a solid design, that could pretty easily be modified for UL, possibly even SUL, use.

J R
(RavenUL) - F
Re: Rain Shed Alpine Rucksack on 01/20/2006 13:29:27 MST Print View

Nobody? Bummer.

Kevin Kress
(kkress) - F
Making the RS Alpine Rucksack on 02/13/2006 13:33:16 MST Print View

I made one of these packs two years ago using modifications to the pattern (smaller hood pocket, less accessory straps & hardware). The patterns are well laid out, as are the instructions. I used sil nylon for the pack, except for the 4 oz Cordura I used on the back and bottom. I used a light weight nylon mesh for two lower side pocket, with an elastic top. I placed a larger mesh pocket on the panel, with a bungee set-up over that. The hood is adjustable for overpacking, but it could be fixed, saving an ounce or two.
I also included a hydration sleeve, and a back panel stiffener that only added a few extra ounces.
This pack will easily carry up to 25 pounds with the frame stiffened. I found that rolling up a sleeping pad inside the packbag (in lieu of a frame) ate up too much room for for it to be practical.
This is my pack for most 3 day, three season trips, and it carries well.
Don't be afraid to increase the length of the bag, I added two inches so that the pack would ride properly between my hips and shoulders.
Good luck.

J R
(RavenUL) - F
Re: Making the RS Alpine Rucksack on 02/13/2006 16:11:32 MST Print View

Thanks Kevin!

Whats the weight on your pack (as a general reference)?

thanks

Kevin Kress
(kkress) - F
R/S Alpine Rucksack on 02/15/2006 19:27:57 MST Print View

The pack, made as I indicated came in at 26 oz., which is heavy for UL fans.
For me, the weight is nominal when considering the carrying comfort, relative durability, and low cost. But then, that's why we make our own gear..... Good Luck.