Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Uncovering the Truth: Underground Doping in the Long Distance Hiking Community
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Dopin on 04/01/2009 14:21:38 MDT Print View

Bill, I'm so glad you're chiming in about with a testimonial about these pants.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Underground Doping on 04/01/2009 14:26:26 MDT Print View

The upshot of all this is that this summer the rangers will not only ask for your permit and bear can, they'll also demand a urine sample as well.

Better leave the poppy seeds out of your GORP.

Judi Henson
(ritzhenson) - F

Locale: The Deep South
Dehydrated Hydrogen Dioxide! on 04/01/2009 15:37:37 MDT Print View

I am currently working on a formula to put a weeks supply of this wonderdrug in a BPL Micro-Dropper Bottle. I'll let you know as the trials progress. This truley could revolutionize the hiking world!!!!! Estimated cost is to be a little on the high side...Understandably. Pre-Order now with a non-refundable money order sent to my off shore P.O. Box for the sum of $168,287,598.00 Don't wait! Act Now!!! ....LOL!!! Happy April Fools day! Great joke Guys! Peace.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
What if?? on 04/01/2009 18:24:40 MDT Print View

What if nobody paid any attention to those who are constantly trying to do something better than everybody else
and there was no money paid out for their efforts? No glory, no money, and all of a sudden drugs look pretty expensive, health issues come into focus, and everybody just relaxes and does whatever it is they love doing for the sheer "love of the game" instead of trying to one up the competition. Glory is fleeting at best. There's always somebody faster, stronger, meaner, etc. My 2 cents.

Johnathan White
(johnatha1) - F

Locale: PNW
Underground Doping on 04/02/2009 11:52:16 MDT Print View

Personally, I took on a simple approach that I learned from a few sources including this site; HYOH.

It seems to be overused and underappreciated, but until I learned what it actually meant, I would worry about stuff like performance enhancing drugs, distance, comparative analysis, etc. What it really means is freedom; freedom from competition; Freedom from all the social pressures I encounter daily.

IMHO, those taking the stuff are not truly free from social pressures, hence not fully taking in the true essence that is hiking/backpacking. I have no opinion if it is a good or bad thing to take performance enhancing drugs, per-se, and will not judge those that do. I believe that one is supposed to be tired after a long day on the trail and that a zero day should feel like a blessing instead of a hindrance.

Jesse Taylor
(ahikernamedgq) - F
Nice, Backpacking Light on 04/02/2009 15:21:46 MDT Print View

An April Fool's joke. . .

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Underground Doping on 04/02/2009 22:49:13 MDT Print View

Sometimes, at the end of a particularly hard day's hike, I feel like a dope. Does that count?

Mark Thompson
(Melakor) - F

Locale: So-Cal
Your my Strawberry!!! on 04/04/2009 19:09:45 MDT Print View

If anyone wants performance enhancing drugs, I know a guy that knows a guy, that used to hook up Balco Barry. He really needs your business; since the MLB has cracked down...beep me @ 555-SUCKER. Meet me at the trail head after dark.

I'm your Pusher, your my Strawberry

Rick Cheehy
(kilgoretrout2317) - F

Locale: Virginia
You wouldn't like me when I'm angry on 04/04/2009 20:01:09 MDT Print View

I finally was convinced that joints and Irish whiskey just weren't enough. So I switched to gamma radiation. Thank the gods I have my roomy ul hammer pants or every time I saw a dirt bike on the trail my big green a** would burst out of my drawers. (Drawers made by Ryan Jordan of course.)

Kathy A Handyside
(earlymusicus) - M

Locale: Southeastern Michigan
Is This For Real?? on 04/04/2009 22:34:56 MDT Print View

If it is, it's sad that EVERYTHING in this country has to be turned into a macho competition, with everyone trying to do everything faster and bigger than everyone else. That's not what I go into nature for: I go into nature to get away from such clutter of modern life.

If this is true, it's simply stupid. Go ahead and waste your bodies for a microsecond of fame. Meanwhile, I'll be stepping over your bodies and continuing to hike on down the trail for many more years, without the use of such drugs.

Brian Peck
(brianpeck) - MLife

Locale: North America
This too will fade on 04/05/2009 08:02:04 MDT Print View

No disrespect to folks who are serious hiking goal seekers , but I've never been terribly interested in stories by or about folks whose records were based on time. Hiking is not about mph. I suppose it's why speedwalking never attracted much of an audience.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
re: dihydro-monooxygen - a confession on 04/05/2009 20:04:15 MDT Print View

I shuddered when I read the earlier post about dihydro-monooxygen. For the sake of god, just say NO.

I'm a recovering dihydro-monooxygen abuser. Or was until after reading the post. I was just too weak. It is just too strong.

I use it in vapor form. This process can be found on the internet easily. Basically you heat the substance to 100 degrees C. Then the magic begins. Ghostly spells begin to rise. This is when you inhale it. Hold on a minute, I just lost my train of thought.

Oh yeah - that picture of the guy with the hamburger in his mouth his freaking me out - anyway, yesterday while tripping on dihydro-monooxygen I hiked and the trees looked skeletal. The trail would go up and then down and then around. My legs grew weary. Birds seemed to chirp weird little chirpy things. A yellow butterfly flew by me.

Please stay away from this stuff. The saddest case I've heard about was this guy that would literally bathe in it. Medical reports indicated pruned phalanges.

Denis Walsh
(kd7kgc) - F

Locale: Northern Rockies
HOH on 04/05/2009 21:05:08 MDT Print View

I gotta git me some of that! I haven't had that much fun since the revenuers smashed gramma's still!

christopher wright
(WRIGHT) - F - MLife
WHO CARES? on 04/05/2009 22:21:13 MDT Print View

Who cares? Im a soldier in Iraq. We take many such pills and powders to stay alert and keep energy levels up. NoXplode and Phenylalanine in gum and diet soft drinks, not to mention enough red bulls to drown yourself in come to mind. Granted further backpacking is much safer than being an infantry grunt clearing houses. If you do something really stupid and kill yourself on the trail, your dead. Do the same here and you are probably going to take youre guys down with you. Do what you want to do. Thats why you all cut your pack weights. No one made you.

Edited by WRIGHT on 04/10/2009 01:54:13 MDT.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
christopher. on 04/05/2009 23:38:18 MDT Print View

etc.

just so ya know, the article was published April 1.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: christopher. on 04/06/2009 07:54:35 MDT Print View

"just so ya know, the article was published April 1."

There ain't no such thing in Iraq, Dave. :)