Cooking in Quart ziplocs and BPAs
Display Avatars Sort By:
Zack Karas
(iwillchopyou@hotmail.com) - MLife

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Cooking in Quart ziplocs and BPAs on 03/30/2009 21:06:09 MDT Print View

I'm considering hydrating my food in quart freezer bags and was wondering if anyone knew if this would release Bisphenol A (BPA) into my food? I don't know if ziplocs even have this chemical in them, but I know that with those products that do, well heating them is a bad idea.

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Ziplocs don't have Bisphenol A on 03/31/2009 08:30:24 MDT Print View

From the Ziploc.com FAQ: "SC Johnson does not use BPA in its plastic products, Ziploc® Brand bags and containers, and Saran™ brand wraps."

On the other hand they say don't use the bags with boiling water, but do condone use in microwaves where steam and fats can reach much higher temps.

In our family we have completely eliminated using plastic for heating or hot food at home. Camping is another story, but since at the most we spend less than 15% of the time camping I think the convenience is worth the risk. (Most of our family camping is car camping and we don't boil in the bag there anyway).

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
Re: Ziplocs don't have Bisphenol A on 03/31/2009 09:00:31 MDT Print View

I think the main reason that they are not recommended for boiling water is because of the risk of burns. That said, I find I can taste plastic if I use boiling water in the bags so I tend to use water that is close to boiling but not quite that hot.

The aLoksaks from www.loksak.com are rated for temps up to 140ºF and are perfect for rehydrating foods with boiling water and even better - they are much sturdier than freezer bags and reusuable.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Cooking in Quart ziplocs and BPAs on 03/31/2009 11:31:20 MDT Print View

BPA is a hardener so is used in rigid containers.

As for bags, they are food grade plastic, a polyethylene blend. This is the common plastic used for microwave safe plastics.

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
ziplocks & other plastic on 03/31/2009 11:34:15 MDT Print View

bisphenol is not the only chemical that can leach, just the most publicized - most plastics give off something when heat is applied or even at lower temps

http://www.ecologycenter.org/factsheets/plastichealtheffects.html

Joe Kuster
(slacklinejoe) - MLife

Locale: Flatirons
Cooking in Quart ziplocs and BPAs on 03/31/2009 11:50:24 MDT Print View

While personally I see nothing wrong with freezer bag thickness ziplock bags, PackitGourmet has FDA approved bags suitable for boiling.

Boil Safe Cooking Bags w/ Gusseted bottom

Zack Karas
(iwillchopyou@hotmail.com) - MLife

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Cooking With Ziplocs on 03/31/2009 13:49:35 MDT Print View

Thanks for all the responses.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Cooking With Ziplocs on 03/31/2009 13:59:55 MDT Print View

Other options include turkey roasting bags as well as Food Vac bags (food vac bags are rated for submersion in water as well - though one doesn't do that with FBC style meals)

Monty Montana
(TarasBulba) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Cooking With Ziplocs on 04/03/2009 00:31:08 MDT Print View

I recently picked up some Ziplock steam cooking bags. They seem to be made of a different material than the freezer bags...stiffer and crinkly. Anyone have any experience with these?

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Re: Cooking With Ziplocs on 04/03/2009 09:24:22 MDT Print View

The steamer bags work well. They were designed for long periods in the microwave to cook items like raw fish and veggies.

They work well for meals, especially for bigger meals for two in a bag. Use them often!

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Steamer Bags on 04/03/2009 11:05:02 MDT Print View

Sarah,

Can you compare total weight of the steamer bags vs. quart freezer bags?

Do the vents allow any leakage of powdery foods when jammed in a bear can? Related question- Do the vents make packing in a bear can easier or harder?

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Steamer Bags on 04/03/2009 13:23:12 MDT Print View

Weight wise they are very similar - the steamer bags are thin though - and one has to be more gentle when packing. They are wider/shorter as well.

When I use them I load up the dry items, then roll up gently, then seal. If kept rolled you should have no issues with the vents.

Open the zipper carefully as well - don't yank on the them.

The cool thing is they do make a bowl, as they have a bottom pleat.

I made cozies for them for a long time. The steamer bags are nearly the same size as the freezer bags sold in the UK!

Richard Sullivan
(richard.s) - MLife

Locale: Supernatural BC
Re: Cooking With Ziplocs on 04/14/2009 16:16:19 MDT Print View

I think that I am going to start using the Ziploc containers.

They are polypropylene which is the purest and most stable plastic in common use.

Should have no BPA's and no plasticizers to leach into the food.

Also they are very light, some would say ultralight ;)

Just don't sit on 'em, PP is not as flexible as PE.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
Re: Re: Steamer Bags and Ziploc Containers on 04/14/2009 21:01:18 MDT Print View

The problem with the air vents, even if you roll the bag up, is that they allow moisture (from the air) into your dehydrated food and that can cause issues such as spoilage. Depending on conditions - a few hours with humidity and air getting in can be a problem especially if you are on a trip that is a week or more in length. Food for thought.

Just a warning about the Ziploc containers... the lids crack fairly easily.

Edited by Laurie_Ann on 04/14/2009 21:03:44 MDT.

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Leaching polypro? on 04/14/2009 22:07:04 MDT Print View

Hi Richard, I've been using Ziplock containers to rehydate my food and also to help protect my caldera cone. But I found this article recently which gives me pause.

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/articles/11479/bpa-bisphenol-polypropylene-bottles-plastic.html

Any comments?

Monty Montana
(TarasBulba) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Steamer Bags on 04/14/2009 22:11:13 MDT Print View

The Ziploc steamer bags that I bought (purchased at Bartell's) are called Zip'nSteam and have no vent or pleated bottom. In fact they pretty much look like a regular ziplock except that the material feels like a heavy cellophane. The large measures 10"x10", which was all they had but a medium would be more to my liking.

Ashley Brown
(ashleyb) - F
Re: Leaching polypro? on 04/14/2009 22:34:09 MDT Print View

Yeah Dondo I saw the Science article too. I generally go for a "better safe than sorry" approach with plastics. Too much we don't know about them IMO. YMMV.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Leaching polypro? on 04/14/2009 23:18:34 MDT Print View

Dondo, I think the best clue on this is “who” the information came through- "Lawyers and Settlements.com” they might be worse then the fox guarding the hen house. These are the guys who are suing anybody about anything because there "might" be a connection to something. I’d wait to see something from a more (far more) reliable source like the AMA, EPA or some real scientific group (I wouldn't call an unnamed "group of researchers" a reliable source)

Edited by bestbuilder on 04/14/2009 23:21:57 MDT.

Ashley Brown
(ashleyb) - F
Re: Re: Leaching polypro? on 04/14/2009 23:31:19 MDT Print View

Hey Tad, the paper was published in "Science" which is an extremely prestigious scientific journal. You can read the paper yourself (it's not very long).

Anyway the only thing it proves is that polypropylene also leaches stuff. Whether that stuff proves to be a health concern is unknown.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Re: Leaching polypro? on 04/14/2009 23:48:52 MDT Print View

Ashley, I read the link before but could not find the source other then the newspaper referred to 'science'. I also could not find anything at ScienceMag.org to substantiate the claim.