Help for a Novice
Display Avatars Sort By:
Zak Randell
(zakrandell) - F
Help for a Novice on 03/30/2009 18:02:41 MDT Print View

I started fly fishing last summer, landing some stripers in a pond in Maine.... other than that I'm completly unaccomplished.

I'm travelling north, from Denver to Alaska along the Rocky Mtns this summer and would love to fish some beautiful places.

I own nothing other than a few flies. What would you recommend in terms of things to get (budget is definetly a consideration). Used gear is always better in my book and I'll be backpacking with whatever I have so minimalism is good too.

Also what sort of resources are there out there for great spots to fish? Books you might reccomend etc...

Thanks

Taylor Ginther
(Tippet) - F

Locale: San Diego
Just check out some other threads here, for starters! on 03/30/2009 22:11:50 MDT Print View

Boozer's thread "starting over" is current, he asked a similar thing. Lot of good info there.

I agree used can be good, except usually people don't want to sell their best stuff. But stick with it, you can get good gear on the cheap. I don't think I've ever bought a used rod, but I've sold a few really good ones over the years.

flies: don't leave home without a #14 float-n-fool

David Palmer
(djpfive) - F

Locale: Arizona
Information on 04/01/2009 12:44:05 MDT Print View

Zak,

PM me and I will give you some good information on locations and resources.