Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Best flashlight
Display Avatars Sort By:
Matt DeWitt
(tritan) - F

Locale: Midwest
Best flashlight on 03/29/2009 19:43:08 MDT Print View

So what do you guys use for lights? I read alot about the photo lights, keychain lights, single cell lights does anybody use headlamps anymore? I was looking at the princeton tec pilot(15G) it can be used as a headlamp or hand light but also looked at the fuel. 78G
http://www.princetontec.com/?q=node/70

I have learned my lesson over the years after taking mag lites out in the woods that you don't need much light to see what you are doing. ;-)pilotFuel

Don Meredith
(donmeredith) - F

Locale: SouthEast
Lights on 03/29/2009 20:19:42 MDT Print View

Check out the Petzl e-lite. It's small, bright and lightweight. I've had one for almost a year now and love it.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: Lights on 03/29/2009 20:27:02 MDT Print View

Like Don, I bought an eLite. I feel like it works very well as part of a UL kit. I even bought one for my girlfriend after trying it out.

Mark Hurd
(markhurd) - M

Locale: South Texas
Re: Re: Lights on 03/29/2009 21:54:50 MDT Print View

Ok, another vote for the e-Lite. I keep a Photon Freedom light as a backup/zipper pull on my jacket. People also love the Fenix lights for their brightness, but they are definitely heavier. If you do a lot of night hiking then get a headlamp, but for me it's mostly camp chores after dark or reading and the e-Light is plenty bright.

-Mark

Johann Burkard
(johannb) - F

Locale: Europe
Re:Best flashlight on 03/30/2009 04:52:28 MDT Print View

Fenix L0D and Lummi Raw Al

I have a Zebra Light and a Fenix L0D and a Lummi Raw AL, plus a Freedom Microlight II Red as backup.

I have use the Zebra Light several times, works well but it's a flood light. The Fenix and the Lummi are more beam than flood.

Edited by johannb on 06/03/2009 12:59:17 MDT.

Charles G.
(Rincon) - M

Locale: Desert Southwest
Best flashlight on 03/30/2009 07:17:01 MDT Print View

Another vote for the Petzel e-light and the Photon as an almost weightless backup.

Adrian B
(adrianb) - MLife

Locale: Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Best flashlight on 03/30/2009 15:13:37 MDT Print View

One *negative* vote for the Petzl eLite.. I'm suprised this light always gets mentioned (I have one).
- it's not very bright at all, esp compared to new Cree LED based lights
- it's runtime is very short (runs on a couple of button batteries, what do you expect)
- it's unregulated, so it's discharge curve looks like K2. ie it's brightness starts noticeably dropping very very quickly.
- clumsy switch

Good lightweight handhelds are AAA based lights like the already mentioned Fenix L0D, I have the Liteflux LF2 which is a similar light but with programmable settings (and a fiddlier interface to go with it). Other good simple single-level AAA lights are the Arc AAA and the Fenix E01. With a single lithium AAA, all of these are of similar weight to the Petzl eLite, but *way* overpower it in brightness + runtime, and, unlike the eLite, all are regulated (so constant brightness).

Sadly there aren't many ultralight headlamps with decent LEDs. Zebralights (~2.2oz) are probably the brightest and lightest, it has a 80 degree flood, you might want more throw than this though. The updated Princeton Tec EOS II would be a good one, but it's hardly ultralight.

Chris Benson
(roguenode) - F

Locale: Boulder
I went from e-lite to tikka plus... on 03/30/2009 15:26:35 MDT Print View

FWIW, I had an e-lite and now use the petzl tikka plus. A few dollars more and 2.75 ounces, but it's much brighter and the AAA batteries give it longer life. Not to mention AAA's can be found virtually anywhere. It's unregulated as well, so it does drop off, but not nearly as quickly. I've seen them on sale under e-lite prices recently.

Mark Hurd
(markhurd) - M

Re: Re: Best flashlight on 04/02/2009 17:10:29 MDT Print View

After reading Adrian's reply above I dug out my Fenix LOP SE light. I think this came out about the time Fenix was introducing the LOD line. I think the SE version was regulated and had 3 light levels unlike the regular LOP which I believe was unregulated and had one level. So, anyway, I dug it out of my gear box, went and bought a Li AAA battery and modified a Photon clip to fit the light. Total wt. with battery and clip = 27 g, e+lite with batteries and also with modified Photon clip, = 21 g.

So, yeah, it's heavier, but only 6 grams. ( I know, a gram here, a gram there, it's a slippery slope.:-)) Well, I am going to give the Fenix a try and see how I like it. I found the eLite to be adequate, but as mentioned if you use it on high for more than 15 minutes you will suck those pour little button batteries down. It will not do as a headlight for very long. I'll see if the Fenix can do better.

-Mark

Brian Brown
(brianb6603)

Locale: Willamette Valley
Fenix LD10 on 05/28/2009 21:11:35 MDT Print View

My favorite Light Is The Fenix LD10, Yes it is heaver (48.9g) than the AAA or button battery lights but with a e2 lithium AA the thing seems to run forever! I use only AA batteries in my camping/hiking gear so the AAA lights won't work for me.

Independent testing (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=224932) shows that the LD10 will run for 1 hr. 37 min on turbo (120 lumens) using a e2.
The Fenix web page claims "General Mode: 9 lumens (34hrs) -> 47 lumens (6hrs) -> 94 lumens (2.2hrs) -> SOS, Turbo Mode: 120 lumens (1.5hrs) -> Strobe"

I find I use it mostly on low, sometimes i click it up to med unless I am trying to show off how bright it can be. ; ) Another cool thing is the "White diffuser tip". It weighs less than 10g and when used on the LD10 provides excellent area light. I hang it from the top loop of my tent and don't have to think about light till I turn it off.

For those of you who think 49g is just too heavy take a look at the Nitecorp EZ AA. This is a AA, 2 mode (hi-low) light that weighs just over 20g. the Nitecorp web site claims, "Low Mode: 10 lumens for up to 20 hours High Mode: 130 lumens for up to 1.5 hours Size: 83.0 x 16.6 mm (3.27 x 0.65 in)". This light had a recall because of low efficiency in low mode but the repaired version will be out at the end of the month (May). The review is at: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=228281

To look at these lights go to 4sevens.com, or google the names. Also www.candlepowerforums.com is a great source for anything related to flashlights.Fenix LD10 w/diffuser

John Haley
(Quoddy) - F

Locale: New York/Vermont Border
Re: Best flashlight on 05/29/2009 05:54:44 MDT Print View

The single AAA powered Fenix L0D clipped on my hat is near perfect at mid-level for night time trail hiking. For for use around camp the low level is more than adequate. I seldom have to switch to the high level boost.

Mark Hurd
(markhurd) - M

Re: Re: Best flashlight on 05/29/2009 08:45:00 MDT Print View

Ok,I've been using my Fenix LOP SE light for almost 2 months and have become a big fan. Using a lithium AAA I have yet to replace it. I use it mostly in low mode, but even when I kick it up to high now it still seems to have plenty of juice. I'm still using my modified Photon clip (cut off the little tabs that hold the photon light and left a smooth little platform) with a doubled up rubber band to hold the light to the platform. It isn't pretty but it works and lets me clip the light to my hat band or hammock ridgeline. My e+Lite has been relegated to the nightstand drawer.

-Mark

Jonathan Ryan
(Jkrew81) - F - M

Locale: White Mtns
Re: Best flashlight on 05/29/2009 10:13:43 MDT Print View

Depending on use I have two. For regular outings where I need a camp light and some night time navigation I use a Fenix LOD CE. If I know for certain I am going to be hiking for several hours in the dark I take my new PT Eos-R which is amazingly bright and has a very long battery life on a high level of light...

Unknown abc
(edude) - F
"Best flashlight" on 05/29/2009 10:20:34 MDT Print View

For a light I have converted to using those lights that clip on to the brim of your cap. I'm always weaing a baseball cap while backapcking anyway, it's lighter than a headlamp, and even if you're not wearing the cap they stay in your hand well. They're bright, and cheap. One will last a couple weekend trips and then give it to your kids/siblings to play with after that.

cheers

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
l0d on 05/29/2009 10:50:02 MDT Print View

I'm also a happy Fenix L0D user. A tiny little light, but plenty bright, with different modes. Reverse the pocket/pen clip, and clip it on the brim of your baseball cap. Great for around camp, and minor night-time wandering (I don't like night hiking much!).

George Summers
(jorgoz) - F

Locale: in the flat country of Belgium
Fenix alternative on 05/29/2009 11:36:11 MDT Print View

I looked into the fenix lights, coz of the mentions around here.

But after some further looking around i bought a cree flashlight (fenix clone) through dealextreme. Also bought batteries, nano charger. Real real cheap, free shipping and all.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16844

It's the brightest flashlight i've owned. Quite light, compared to a aaa flashlight it's 'heavy'. Did i mention it's very bright...and as a bonus, no twister but a switch at the back which in the darkness glows, easy finding at night.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
PETZL warning on 05/29/2009 13:13:02 MDT Print View

The French makers of PETZL STILL have a problem of lithium batteries burning up their circuits. (??)

Personally the regulated Princeton Tec headlamps get my vote. And I don't know why Black Diamond doesn't make regulated headlamps (Unless they have just begun to recntly).

Virtually all "mini" headlamps will be unregulated as the heat sink. etc. for regulation would make it too big to be mini.

BTW, what IS the lightest regulated headlamp? PT Quad?

Eric

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Best flashlight on 05/29/2009 13:33:29 MDT Print View

My best flashlight is my LED Surefire. Pricy, but lights up the world. I usually hike with my BD headlamp though.

Michael Wands
(walksoftly) - F

Locale: Piney Woods
"Best flashlight" on 05/29/2009 17:25:31 MDT Print View

Pak-Lite Bright White.

Two settings - Light weight - Bombproof.

Low setting will last approx. 1,200 hours on Li battery.

Barry Cuthbert
(nzbazza) - MLife

Locale: New Zealand
Princeton Tec EOS on 05/30/2009 04:38:17 MDT Print View

Most of my weekend trips here in NZ usually start with 2-4hrs tramping on Friday night and so far after going through 24 different headlamps, the new 50 lumen model of the Princeton Tec EOS is IMHO pretty near perfect. Sure its a few grams more than most 3AAA headlamps, but it is robust, waterproof, good range of light levels.

I once had an e-lite but its construction and performance left a lot to be desired. There is only so much that can be squeezed into a 1oz package.