I have a problem....
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: I have a problem.... on 03/24/2009 18:53:54 MDT Print View

Petzel E-lite:

Don't use that anywhere sand might be blowing about -- even if just moderately -- and don't ever drop it on sand either -- even if for just half a second.

Cute as heck, but the rotating dial is a POS -- sorry, but no other way to describe it. I heartily second the suggestion of taking a Photon LED -- it's what I do.

Knife - YMMV on this one, but I'm pretty darn happy with my little Cutco multitool.

Photon Freedom to the Max - 0.5 oz.
Cutco Multitool - 0.8 oz.

Edited by ben2world on 03/24/2009 18:56:39 MDT.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: Re: Re:I have a problem.... on 03/24/2009 18:58:12 MDT Print View

"But latest figures show an 89 per cent rise in the number of under-16s with serious stab wounds in the past five years and a 75 per cent rise for older teenagers over the same period." -the New Zealand Herald"

Glad I'm not a teenager. I wonder how many of those stab wounds happened while backpacking....more likely that a backpacking youth will cut himself with his own knife while chopping up a salami.

"A knife is the weapon of choice in countries where firearms, specifically handguns, are not widely available. (reference Mayhew, 19??)" -

I haven't really ever heard of someone being stabbed while hiking in NZ, but I know that hunting accidents are not uncommon. I don't think a knife, Opinel or otherwise, can protect me from one of those.

Apparently in Sydney airport, the bikers prefer to bash their victim to death :( At 15 to 1, I doubt a knife would have helped him either.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:I have a problem.... on 03/24/2009 19:05:16 MDT Print View

My previous comments were not of a political nature, just observational. Likewise in NZ I don't consider the river and lake waters to be dangerous, so I don't carry a filter or purification tablets. You carry what you feel you 'need' to based on experience and locale, and if that includes a knife then there is no problem. If you use it a lot to make fuzz sticks or kill raving lunatics, even better as it's not just dead weight.

Edited by retropump on 03/24/2009 19:05:48 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
I have a problem.... on 03/24/2009 19:55:13 MDT Print View

Thanks for the input Ben. Yes, I read your comments in a previous thread. I will definitely be careful. Good thing that MEC has a great return policy should there be an issue.

Interestingly enough, its first outing will be by sand!

Andrew Lush
(lushy) - MLife

Locale: Lake Mungo, Mutawintji NPs
Re: I have a problem on 03/24/2009 21:03:11 MDT Print View

Yes Lynn you're right.

But first a quick detour into the relevant Aussie vernacular.

Biker: Someone who rides a bike. Just an average Joe/Joanne tooling around on their bike

Bikie: A member of an outlaw gang such as the Hells Angels.

Now back to the point at hand. The bikie dudes used the bollards that divide up the check-in queue lines as their weapons of choice. They bashed a rival gang member to death in front of hundreds of horrified (and traumatised) people on a lovely sunny Sydney autumnal Sunday afternoon. Then they jumped in taxis and shot through.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: Re: I have a problem on 03/24/2009 21:09:12 MDT Print View

Hi Andrew

As a Kiwi I am very familiar with the vernacular, but I translated it for the majority of site members who are American ;)

Yeah, if bad people are intent on doing you harm AND gang up on you, I don't think there is much you can do about it without an automatic weapon and plenty of warning. Hitting the guy just after leaving a plane when he was very unlikely to be carrrying a ready to use weapon was extra cowardly! To do it in front of all those people was so beyond callous that it makes even a liberal like me wonder if the death penalty isn't a pretty good idea!

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
make it stop. on 03/24/2009 21:24:00 MDT Print View

i thought this thread was about a new flashlight and pocketknife used for backpacking.

do you want to start a knifing/stabbing/killing thread in Chaff?

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
I have the problem! on 03/24/2009 21:32:45 MDT Print View

David -

Back to your original question... your purchase equates to less than $100 for a pound of weight reduction! If I was getting that kind of value for what I've spent on gear, my base weight would be zero.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Not a Problem At All... on 03/24/2009 21:43:45 MDT Print View

Looking at David's post again makes me think of just how many of us won't even bat an eye to get the bestest and lightest! For example, for any given temp rating -- how many of us actually agonized over MontBell's synthetic vs. 650fp vs. 800fp bags? Methinks many of us just went straight for the 800fp. :)

SS synthetic #3 - 40 oz - $145
UL ss #3 650 fp - 32 oz - $205 - $60 for 8 oz
UL SS #3 800 fp - 23 oz - $279 - $74 for 9 oz

So David, you are fine.

Ben.
The Gear Enabler.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
I have a problem.... on 03/25/2009 08:31:15 MDT Print View

I must confess, the two pieces are not the only new gear I recently purchased. But if I told everyone I would be accused of being a 'Boozer.'

(This is a homage to Jonathan, of course)

Dan Cunningham
(mn-backpacker)

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons
Re: Re: Not a Problem At All... on 03/25/2009 10:05:07 MDT Print View

If you are going so far as to post about your gear purchases in a forum on the Internet (guilty as charged...), then yes, you do have a problem - just like the rest of us. Welcome to the club!

I also think you got a bargain in the ounces saved per dollar measure. Hey, whatever it takes to justify it, right? :)

Now that I'm reflecting on some of my recent purchases from Ben's perspective of how much I could have saved by going with slightly heavier gear... oh boy. Thanks Ben, now I realize that I have a problem (not that I didn't already know).

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Locale: South East
Re: I have a problem.... on 03/25/2009 10:46:10 MDT Print View

It will all be ok. Just accept it. Relish it. Dive in.

You can upgrade anything...

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: I have a problem.... on 03/25/2009 10:52:57 MDT Print View

Boozer is right. So go ahead, David, tell us. :)

Dan -- My first set of gear, I took the "middle way" -- buying all the stuff that were "light enough" and saved a couple of hundred of bucks (eg. Kelty Lightyear 25 in lieu of MontBell, etc.). Problem was that my pack weight approached 40lbs for a weekend trip! Not all that bad considering there were plenty of people hauling 60-70lbs or even more -- but still too heavy for my liking.

After my second trip, I swapped out almost everything and cut the poundage by more than half! Thank God for REI "no hassle" returns and for Ebay! I sold my lightly used bag for a buck more than what I paid for when new. :)

Edited by ben2world on 03/25/2009 10:54:21 MDT.