November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
I have a problem....
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave -
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Up there
I have a problem.... on 03/24/2009 15:04:41 MDT Print View

I just got back from MEC and spent $47 to save 8 oz. Is this normal?

Sam Minnich
What is normal anyways? on 03/24/2009 15:10:42 MDT Print View

That sounds about right. 8 oz is quite a bit of wieght, considering people pay a lot more to save a lot less. Then again, we all must have a few screws loose if we're hanging out in this forum anyway!

Edited by samuraiPrecision on 03/24/2009 15:12:56 MDT.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: I have a problem.... on 03/24/2009 15:11:28 MDT Print View

Actually, I think you do!

MEC carries precious few UL items. I bet if you tell us what you bought, we can tell you how to shave off even more without any loss in function! :)

Edited by ben2world on 03/24/2009 15:13:56 MDT.

Sam Minnich
loose screws on 03/24/2009 15:14:20 MDT Print View

The more screws we all shake loose, the less of them we have to carry!

Dave -
(FamilyGuy) - F

I have a problem.... on 03/24/2009 15:16:26 MDT Print View

Well....I purchased a Gerber LST knife to get rid of my big heavy bear maming one and a Petzel E-lite to replace my EOS......

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
That's a great deal on 03/24/2009 15:23:23 MDT Print View

huge savings, two items, great price.....

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: even better on 03/24/2009 15:37:09 MDT Print View

Leave the knife at home and take a Photon Freedom instead: saves another ~ 2oz...

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Take the knife! on 03/24/2009 15:39:33 MDT Print View

I'm in the knife can be very useful.

Shave down tinder for a fire, if you need to...or whittle an eating utensil from a stick when your plastic fork snaps....what about cutting gauze and moleskin for blister treatment?

Take da knife!

David T
(DaveT) - F
. on 03/24/2009 15:53:56 MDT Print View

Edited by DaveT on 05/13/2015 17:35:05 MDT.

Andrew Lush
(lushy) - MLife

Locale: Lake Mungo, Mutawintji NPs
Re:I have a problem.... on 03/24/2009 15:56:00 MDT Print View

I'm firmly in the knife camp as well.

I always take my Leatherman Juice on every walk. It's always in my pocket and I use it heaps of times through out the day. It's the best 48 grams I carry.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: Re:I have a problem.... on 03/24/2009 16:37:33 MDT Print View

I also carry a knife to cut my salami (and more importantly open the vacuum sealed package), but it is a frivolous use really. I was just playing devil's advocate as I know many people feel deeply attached to their knives. I don't think my knife is even sharp enough to cut bandages etc...however a Leatherman Juice is a different beast as it has many other tools on it. In this respect I DO sometimes carry a small pair of scissors, a good set of tweezers and a razor blade, but I have not 'needed' a knife for as long as I've been backpacking. I have also never needed Needlenose Pliers, Wire Cutters, Hard-Wire Cutters, Extra-Small, Small, and Med/Lrg Screwdrivers, Phillips Screwdriver, Lanyard Attachment, Can/Bottle Opener, Corkscrew, Fish Scaler, or any of the other myriad attachments found on many multi-tools (at least not on the trail).

I agree that there are far worse weight:cost savings ratios occurring here at BPL than $47 for 8 oz. That's a real bargain!

Dave -
(FamilyGuy) - F

I have a problem.... on 03/24/2009 16:48:19 MDT Print View

Thanks all - this support is way better (and cheaper) than therapy!

To be frank, I don't remember the last time that I used a knife in the backcountry but an ounce and a quarter for, presumably, some peace of mind if I ever do need it is worth it.

I avoid true night hiking or just use the moon and the EOS is actually too bright for much of what I do. I will keep it, however. If I was to give it away I would then need it at some point. Always the way.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: @Tarptent
I have a problem.... on 03/24/2009 16:51:52 MDT Print View

No doubt about it , for a gear addict like David $47 for 8 oz is going to be hard to beat.
To cut salamis you should really use the Opinel. I do miss a good glass of red when I do that.
Talking about the Leatherman, for three moments I felt a bit inadequate because I have a Juice but take a smaller one that I thought it was the Squirt. It's a Micra (s), so I feel a bit better now.

Richard Matthews
(food) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: I have a problem.... on 03/24/2009 17:19:55 MDT Print View

What a bargain... I expect to spend $20/oz.

Michael Chudzinski
(oknowa) - F
knife on 03/24/2009 17:21:25 MDT Print View

I feel naked without a blade. Like Franco,I like Opinels...but I do have a soft spot for the light Leathermans too.

Unknown abc
(edude) - F
"Knife people have a problem...with knives..." on 03/24/2009 17:33:03 MDT Print View

IMO, theres no such thing as a "light" Leatherman as far as the multitools go...

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Knives don't kill people....people kill people! on 03/24/2009 17:49:03 MDT Print View

Don't infringe on my 2nd amendment knife to carry a right!!!

No, seriously, I like a good fixed blade.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: Opinel all the way on 03/24/2009 18:05:49 MDT Print View

Yup. I would never cut a salami with anything other than an Opinel. And no one can infringe on my right to protect myself from salamis with whatever arms I deem appropriate (usually my right arm bears the knife, but my left arm holds the perpetrator in position for the thrust).

Brian UL

Locale: New England
Re: Re: Re:I have a problem.... on 03/24/2009 18:16:16 MDT Print View

"But latest figures show an 89 per cent rise in the number of under-16s with serious stab wounds in the past five years and a 75 per cent rise for older teenagers over the same period." -the New Zealand Herald

"A knife is the weapon of choice in countries where firearms, specifically handguns, are not widely available. (reference Mayhew, 19??)" -

Englands Knife crime epidemic:

Joshua Gilbert
(joshcgil2) - F

Locale: Seattle
I have a problem too on 03/24/2009 18:50:40 MDT Print View

lets keep the political discussion to those "other" threads shall we? I've been avoiding them and don't care to see it here either.

I don't really understand not carrying a knife. I mean, I understand it academically, but I carry a knife at home, I carry a small knife to work, I feel naked without one, so I'm carrying one on the trail.

David, we all have a problem, otherwise we'd be on another site. be of good cheer, you're in good company.