Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Make Your Own Gear: Light Fleece Pullover Top

Display Avatars Sort By:
Addie Bedford
(addiebedford) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Make Your Own Gear: Light Fleece Pullover Top on 03/24/2009 14:26:50 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Make Your Own Gear: Light Fleece Pullover Top

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Make Your Own Gear: Light Fleece Pullover Top on 03/25/2009 16:55:34 MDT Print View

Looks like a must have!

I'm going to give this project a shot. Primarily because my lovely wife is sitting here on the sofa with me looking at the article and she will "help" me with her sewing machine.

Monty Montana
(TarasBulba) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Make Your Own Gear: Light Fleece Pullover Top on 03/26/2009 21:38:40 MDT Print View

A nicely written and detailed article, Roger, thanks. Just a couple of things, however. What made you decide upon that particular grided-look fabric? I don't think I've ever come across fleece like that, though I suppose any fleece is as good as another. Also, the snowshoes are very interesting, not to mention lightweight looking...what brand are they or are they MYOG? If the latter, are you planning to describe them in some future article?

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Make Your Own Gear: Light Fleece Pullover Top on 04/02/2009 14:47:36 MDT Print View

Hi Monty

I have just finished a 12 day 'fastpack' across our alps here, and may not be 100% intelligent yet ... And this is not my home PC, so I don't have all my references available here.

The gridded fabric was actually a mistake. I do not recommend it as the pile tends to compress a bit at the elbows. I don't know what brand it was.

I don't think one fleece is always as good as another: the Malden Mills stuff is usually slightly better in life-time properties and non-pilling, at least in my experience. The usual suppliers like OWFINC will tell you what brand the fabrics are if you ask.

The snowshoes are Australian Yowies. They are light and very functional for our conditions, but I don't know whether they are readily available in the USA. But I am sure you could contact the manufacturers via the web.

Cheers

Jordi Xargay
(Xurriacador) - MLife

Locale: West Mediterranean Sea
Used pattern on 08/09/2012 05:34:33 MDT Print View

I used the pattern to make a test long sleeve t-shirt. For my purpose, no zip used and the sleeves cut an inch less wide at elbow. All the other fed perfectly. I'm 179cm, 72kg and use european large size (L).

Thank you very much, Roger.

William Safley
(wsafley) - MLife

Locale: Eastern NC
My first garment sewing project on 01/02/2013 12:42:39 MST Print View

I made this as my first sewing project that was a garment. I was a little intimidated, but it turned out much, much better than I expected based on my experience level. In fact, I enjoyed this so much that I've been wearing it non-stop since I finished it yesterday evening.

Thanks for such excellent article and guidance, Roger!

William