Forum Index » GEAR » Alpinlite Gear Bug Tent

Display Avatars Sort By:
Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
SpinnShelter on 05/26/2009 17:59:09 MDT Print View

I got my “new to me” SpinnShelter today and did a test run in the yard in between the thunderstorms that we have had today. It took me about 15 minutes to get it set up satisfactory the first time, but when I did it again I got down to about 10. I can tell it is definitely going to be a learning process, as it is my first non free standing shelter of any kind. I am planning on using it with a custom sized Alpinelite Bug Tent for a 1.5 pound double wall shelter. Here are a few pics:SpinnShelterSpinnShelter

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Alpenlite Bug Tent on 05/26/2009 18:32:50 MDT Print View

Looks very sturdy and storm proof Brad! Great combo with the Alpenlite Bug Tent..Pitching gets easier and easier everytime. NICE!!!!

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Alpinlite Gear Bug Tent on 05/26/2009 18:48:06 MDT Print View

Nice - too bad it doesn't have top vents like the Shangri-La 1. Let us know what condensation is like.

Michael Landman
(malndman) - F

Locale: Central NC, USA
Re: SpinnShelter on 05/27/2009 11:55:11 MDT Print View

looks like you are having a real wilderness experience ;)

UL SS #2

How many days out are you?

(just kidding)

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

SpinnShelter on 05/27/2009 11:57:11 MDT Print View

It depends on how mad the wife is when she finds out I bought a new tent!

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Alpinlite Gear Bug Tent on 05/27/2009 13:05:06 MDT Print View

Sweet Spinnshelter Brad, nice buy. The pitch is crazy tight in the photo, should shed weather effectively. I own the Golite ShangriLa-1, your shelter reminded me immediately of that design, although much more refined in terms of weight savings, they are very similar though, minus the vents at the foot and head, and the Spinnshelter comes in a whole 8-9 oz. less, that is a huge difference! I'm very curious about the effectiveness in managing condensation as well, keep us updated when you give it a test run.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: SpinnShelter on 05/28/2009 00:23:21 MDT Print View

Looking good Brad.
It's nice and long too isn't it? Even for a 6' 8" guy like me.

I found condensation was eased by fully opening the foot end of the tent. It's long enough to do this in calm weather without precip worries. Which is when condensation is likely to be an issue anyway.

Cheers

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

SpinnShelter on 05/30/2009 13:57:32 MDT Print View

I put the SpinnShelter up in the yard today for the third time. I had just gotten the cam-locks in for the guylines and wanted to try setting it up in a higher, better venting, configuration. I was also setting it up with the "fixed length" rear pole setup as my Komperdell C3 Carbon Duolocks are almost impossible to re-lock one you collapse them. Things went relatively well; I used a stopwatch and had a decent pitch in 4 minutes 38 seconds. Here is a pic:SpinnShelter

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Alpinlite Bug Tent on 06/22/2009 11:15:14 MDT Print View

My Alpinlite Bug Tent arrived today. I wont set it up in the yard until it cools off a bit, but I stretched it out between two doors in the house. Workmanship seems top notch, and everything is just like I requested. Gen was great to work with, and delivered right on time. Mine is a bit larger than stock:

Front Width: 42 inches
Rear Width: 28 inches
Front Height: 38 inches
Rear Height: 21 inches
Length: 84 inches
Full Mesh Door
Full Mesh (other than bathtub floor) Foot End
Linelocks on the ridge ends

Here is are the actual weights:

Bug Shelter: 9.6 oz (after seam sealing)
Stuff Sack: 0.2 oz
Guylines: 0.6 oz (There is one 6' length and one 8' length. Since
I'll be clipping to the SpinnShelter I'll probably be able to trim
most of that away.)

Total: 10.4 oz

Edited by Mocs123 on 06/22/2009 11:16:13 MDT.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Pics on 06/23/2009 09:05:15 MDT Print View

Here are some pics of the Alpinlite Bug Tent in my GG Spinnshelter.
Alpinlite Bug Tent and SpinnShelter

Alpinlite Bug Shelter

Inside

SpinnShelter (including guylines) 10.3 ounces
SpinnShelter stuff sack 0.4 ounces
Alpinelite Bug Shelter (including guylines) 9.7 ounces
AlpineliteBug Shelter stuff sack 0.2 ounces
Easton 6" Aluminum Pegs (2) 0.6 ounces
GG TiteLite Ti Stakes (10) 2.2 ounces

23.4 ounces for a big double wall shelter!

Edited by Mocs123 on 06/23/2009 12:06:13 MDT.

John Carter
(jcarter1)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Alpinlite & Spinnshelter on 06/23/2009 10:35:34 MDT Print View

Brad,

That is one sweet setup you've got! The custom Alpinlite looks like a much more livable size; the 1oz weight penalty is negligible for the added elbow room.

Curious, how much was the custom Alpinlite, and what color is the floor? I really like the all-white mesh and Spinnshelter look. Now how to convince Aplinlite to add this as a regular item (and thus reduce the cost)...

EDIT: Or is the mesh black, but the spinnshelter gives it a lighter sheen? Either way, the inside looks nice and bright (imprtant up here in the PNW).

Edited by jcarter1 on 06/23/2009 10:39:54 MDT.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Alpinlite Gear Bug Tent on 06/23/2009 12:16:38 MDT Print View

Thanks John. I wanted something similar in size to the inside of my BA Seedhouse SL1 so I had the floor made the exact same dimensions width wise. Because I have used the Seedhouse as my main shelter for the past three years, I knew I could live with the floor space. I can also sit up with no problems at the head end of the tent ( I am 6' 155lb, with a 21.5" torso).

The mesh is a light gray color (I didn't specify anything specific) and the floor is gray sil nylon. He offered green (as shown on page 1 of this thread) and gray, and I preferred the more muted gray. He does have the larger Bug Shelter 1.5 as a stock item, but it was too big for my SpinnShelter so he made me one in between, and cost was reflective of that being in between the two. Gen was really great to work with, I can't say enough good things about how he worked with me to make sure that it fit my needs exactly.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Alpinlite Gear Bug Tent on 06/23/2009 12:21:09 MDT Print View

Very nice Brad. Thanks for the pics.

What is the minimum height required for this Bug Shelter?

I see the height is 38", but angles, vectors, forces, poles, SpinShelter, etc must force to tie point to something higher than 38".

What works best?

Thanks.

Edited by greg23 on 06/23/2009 13:36:16 MDT.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Alpinelite Gear Bug Tent on 06/23/2009 13:36:21 MDT Print View

Stock height is 36", but mine is a bit taller at 38". I need about 2" for the mitten hook and linelock used to attach it to the SpinnShelter so a minimum of about 40".

It ties out near the tip of the SpinnShelter which is about 12" in front and 6" higher than the top of the Bug Tent

Edited by Mocs123 on 06/23/2009 13:38:30 MDT.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Alpinelite Gear Bug Tent on 04/25/2010 13:54:01 MDT Print View

Bradford,
Has Alpinlite permanently added your custom size to their lineup? At the time of your custom request, it seems there was only the Bug Shelter 1 and 1.5. Now they stock a 1.25 that is almost identical to the specs you requested.

I was looking at the MLD Serenity, but for added space of the Alpinlite 1.25 and cheaper price (albeit a few ounces heavier) it seems like a more attractive option.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Re: Re: Alpinelite Gear Bug Tent on 04/25/2010 16:32:14 MDT Print View

Yes, he has since added the custom size I wanted to his regular lineup. I just didn't think I would be happy with a regular size.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Tropical Shelter on 04/25/2010 17:20:07 MDT Print View

It looks like ther ALPENLITE GEAR Bug Shelter and a 10' wide tarp would be a great TROPICAL SHELTER, permitting breezes plus great rain protection and a place to cook in the rain.

I'd try for a tarp that was aluminized on one side to ward off the heat.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Tropical Shelter on 04/25/2010 17:24:19 MDT Print View

Yes, I've been pouring over the options and possibilities of a bug shelter and the various other shelters it can be used under.

The thing I like about the Spinnshelter is that it can be pitched a few different ways--though the "lean-to" pitch on GG's website seems like it would take either some extra poles or sticks and some creativity.