Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Alpinlite Gear Bug Tent
Display Avatars Sort By:
Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: Re: "Alpinlite Gear Bug Tent" on 03/22/2009 18:56:13 MDT Print View

Haha. Well, I definitely like it. Gonna be way better than a regular bivy in SE summers on solo trips.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Bug Tent on 05/20/2009 21:48:08 MDT Print View

Cool. I didn't know this existed until I dug this thread up doing a search on the Serenity Shelter. It looks almost identical, maybe a hair heavier because of the heavier mesh. I emailed him to see if he would do a custom sized one as I want something a bit bigger to go with my new SpinnShelter. I also emailed Ron at MLD.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Alpinlite Gear Bug Tent on 05/20/2009 22:42:58 MDT Print View

Brad, keep us posted. I like what I see.

Thanks to Chris for this original thread.

JT Croteau
(Tobit) - F

Locale: Shadows of the White Mountains
Re: Bug Tent on 05/21/2009 10:09:02 MDT Print View

Brad, Alpinlite actually offers two sizes of these bug shelters. The Bug Shelter 1.5 might be the size you are looking for.

Links:

Bug Shelter
Bug Shelter 1.5

Edited by Tobit on 05/21/2009 10:09:33 MDT.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Bug Tent on 05/21/2009 10:17:51 MDT Print View

Unfortunately, the size that I am looking for is in between the two sizes. I did however email him about a custom size, and while he said he can't always do custom work, said he could adjust the size if I needed it.

So, Chris, Do you have an update on yours? How do you like it so far?

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Bug Tent on 05/21/2009 10:21:13 MDT Print View

Hi Brad,

You should have said, I have an ID bugshelter which might have fitted, I never tried. Did the spinnshelter arrive already?

Edit to add, I think the ID bugshelter would be too wide at the foot end for the spinnshelter.

Edited by tallbloke on 05/21/2009 10:23:17 MDT.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: Bug Tent on 05/21/2009 10:27:57 MDT Print View

I actually was trying 3 shelter options at the time and wound up going with another one. With that said, I felt the quality was as good as the other gear I have and the customer service was first rate.

If I were to buy another (which I very well may) I'd probably get the 1.5 model for the extra room.

Edited by simplespirit on 05/21/2009 10:30:53 MDT.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Bug Tent on 05/21/2009 10:45:44 MDT Print View

The SpinnShelter isn't here yet. I have just been going by the dimensions on the GG website. I do plan on measuring everything before I have one made. I did measure my BA Seedhouse SL1 for comparison and everything was spot on except the foot end width, which they say it 31", when in reality it is 26.75".

The size I am making is in between the two. So far, this is what I am thinking:

Front Width: 42 inches
Rear Width: 28 inches
Front Height: 38 inches
Rear Height: 21 inches
Length: 84 inches
Full Mesh Door (other than the bathtub floor)
Full Mesh Foot End (other than the bathtub floor)

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Alpinelite Gear Bug Tent on 05/21/2009 14:09:53 MDT Print View

What is your opinion on putting LineLocks on the four corners of the bug tent and on the ends of the ridge. Since the Spinshelter has to be staked at the four corners anyway, I thought about running lines from the corners of the bug tent to the spinshelter and just drawing them taut with the linelocks, as well as using the line locks to taut up the ridge?

Would I be better off just using .22oz Ti stakes at the corners of the bug tent?

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Re: Alpinelite Gear Bug Tent on 05/21/2009 14:18:18 MDT Print View

Or just some light shock cord with loops knotted in to pop over the pegs. I don't like time wasted faffing when I'm getting bitten. :-)

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Alpinelite Gear Bug Tent on 05/21/2009 14:18:56 MDT Print View

Brad,

Either would work, and work well. But I have a Serenity from SMD, and Ron uses elastic on the corners to attach to the tarp stakes.

Light, quick, and no extra stakes YMMV.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Shock Cord on 05/21/2009 17:10:37 MDT Print View

Thanks, elastic shock cord is an option that I hadn't thought about. I will have to decide what I want this week so I can place my order.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Shock Cord on 05/21/2009 19:32:33 MDT Print View

FWIW, SMD uses 1/4" black elastic rather than true shock cord. Not trying to be nitpicky, just wanted you to know.

Todd

Michael Landman
(malndman) - F

Locale: Central NC, USA
Re: Alpinlite Gear Bug Tent on 05/22/2009 08:02:26 MDT Print View

Just to chime in...

I had mine here in the Grand Canyon for a week long hike in mid April. I used a SpinnTwin for rain protection most nights (it always rains in the desert!).

Cloudy GC panarama

We had all the weather one could want, snow on the rim, clear nights where I did not need a tarp, rain and snow on the Tonto, winds that made pitching a tarp a formidable task, and great desert blooms.

AlpinLite Bug tent no tarp GC

S. rim snow

New Hance cache camp spot

GC Desert blooms 01

GC desert blooms 02

GC Desert blooms 03 (cedar)

GC desert blooms 04 PP

GC Colorado/near Cottonwood

Some notes on the Bug Tent:

Construction is good throughout.
All seams are tight and no fabric/mesh ends exposed to fray.
All seams are sealed (nice touch) comes with nice vented stuff sack, with a mitten hook so it does not get lost over night.
Water protection afforded by the SylNyl foot end and raised SylNyl at the entrance was sufficient for the rain we saw that blew from every direction (the canyon head walls and sides made the wind shift wildly all night).
I personally would prefer a button and loop system rather than the mitten clip to hold the door open, but that's just me, no biggie.
A stash pocket would be helpful (head lamp, the whistle I have had around my neck all day, small stuff like that).
The zipper for the front door is a bit short. It appears to be a stock size and does not go all the way to the edge of the wall. This makes the door effectively smaller than it could be.

Bug tent zipper detail

It is a bit heavier than the MLD Serenity Shelter, but you can have it in a week or so, not in a month or month and a half. Good for us planning impaired folks!

All in all, I like it, the business is good to work with. As a thought, having it shipped via FedEx or UPS, as opposed to the USPS shipping would make tracking the package easier and might be worth the bump in costs.

I recommend this gear and would buy from AlpinLite again.

Edited by malndman on 05/22/2009 08:25:21 MDT.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Alpinelite Bug Tent on 05/22/2009 08:26:07 MDT Print View

Thanks for the pics Michael. It looks like you had a great trip. I really need to get out west sometime.

One of the reasons that I am leaning on going with Alpinelite over MLD is when I emailed them both about doing my custom sized model, Gen was $85 cheaper and 6 weeks quicker. I own several pieces of MLD gear that I have been very happy with and would go with them again, but $85 is a chunk of change.

I have noticed the short zipper before too, and will ask him about that. Having used a BA Seedhouse SL1 for the past three years, I am used to a doggy door, but the bigger the better.

Michael Landman
(malndman) - F

Locale: Central NC, USA
Re: Alpinelite Bug Tent on 05/22/2009 08:56:31 MDT Print View

"It looks like you had a great trip."

The GC is a great place, once you are off the corridor trails.

GC general 01

GC general 02

I am ~5-8 and sitting up is doable...if you are +6-0, not so much. Dressing is a trick, particularly putting on socks.

(I am the shortest one on the left, as we pose in front of the "You could DIE!!!" NPS sign board )

GC 4/09 start

But now I have a real comfortable home for a bit over 2 lbs (SpinnTwin, Bug Tent, NeoAir, Ti. stakes and line).

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Bug Tent on 05/22/2009 13:28:04 MDT Print View

I am 6 feet tall, but I am having the Bug Tent made at 38" tall which is exactly what my current tent is, so I am used to it. Plus the Peak height of the SpinnShelter is 40" which pitched low in storm mode, so I have that limitation as well.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Spinnshelter on 05/26/2009 08:51:17 MDT Print View

Did it arrive yet?

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

SpinnShelter on 05/26/2009 10:46:34 MDT Print View

The Spinshelter arrived today, I hope to set it up in the yard later today!

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Re: SpinnShelter on 05/26/2009 11:48:36 MDT Print View

Nice one, glad it arrived safe.