Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
A Truly Modest Proposal
Display Avatars Sort By:
James Dubendorf
(dubendorf) - M

Locale: CO, UT, MA, ME, NH, VT
A Truly Modest Proposal on 03/19/2009 12:52:56 MDT Print View

Hello All,

First off, let me say that I will defend everyone's right to blind reflex contrarianism, non-constructive criticism, dogmatic orthodoxies, invidious lifestyle, racial, and nationalistic sterotypes, willful misinterpretation in the name of conflict escalation, hostility and condescension as a first resort, and ad hominem slurs. What would the internet be without these crucial interpersonal resources? But in the name of all that is holy, what the heck is going on here lately? Is it March Madness? Economic malaise? Late winter fever? Vitamin D defficiency? Acute, chronic misting? Titanium poisoning? It's bumming me out, and I don't think I'm alone.

I am going to proceed on the assumption that most BPLers are of the kinder sort who see a place for patience, humor, and polite disagreement alongside the above list. Surely there is a larger common ground we can find. If a person's primary hobby was arguing, I doubt they would be part of something like BPL to begin with, as the woods would presumably provide little enjoyment.

I propose a thread to remind us of what we share, and how we can go about enjoying those things while cultivating our better selves. Stories of on-trail kindnesses. Pictures of adorable pets. You get the idea. If it instead becomes a thread about how dare anyone tell you how and what to type, I'm sure the irony will not be lost, however disappointing it may be.

So, any suggestions to let some sunshine into this place? It is always darkest right before the light?

James

Edited by dubendorf on 03/19/2009 12:58:59 MDT.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
malaise. on 03/19/2009 13:08:49 MDT Print View

well said. right on!

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
Spring Fever no doubt on 03/19/2009 13:18:38 MDT Print View

Hey James,

Have you read "Out Stealing Horses" by Per Petterson? Based on your other tastes I think you might like it....very Heminway-esque...lots of work narrative, nature narrative. masculine "terse" style, but beautiful as well. Good book. I highly recommend it.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
A Truly Modest Proposal on 03/19/2009 13:27:17 MDT Print View

I think so...........but I'll have to look up some of those fancy words to be sure..........

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: A Truly Modest Proposal on 03/19/2009 13:54:16 MDT Print View

"It is always darkest right before the light?"

James,
Be of good cheer for the vernal equinox draweth nigh. Soon all
of this shall evaporate like the bad dream that it is beneath the cleansing rays of the sun.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
judging. on 03/19/2009 17:49:10 MDT Print View

Well, judging by today's posts, we might have to scale the proposal back.

Like make it really modest.

Like so modest you can barely see it.

And maybe insert a clause like "But I withhold to right to argue for argument's sake ad infinitum" or something like that in the fine print. Then maybe folks will get on board.

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Locale: South East
Re: A Truly Modest Proposal on 03/19/2009 18:01:30 MDT Print View

I love my family, and I can't wait to involve them more in my backpacking "obsession". I hope I can get atleast one of my girls addicted to the trail as much as I am. Atleast my oldest LOVES tents and sleeping bags.

Richard Scruggs
(JRScruggs) - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Re: A Truly Modest Proposal on 03/19/2009 18:20:54 MDT Print View

James --

Absolutely the best opening post I've seen in a long time around here. Here are a few swings at your challenge:

But first, regarding this:

" But in the name of all that is holy, what the heck is going on here lately? Is it March Madness? Economic malaise? Late winter fever? Vitamin D defficiency? Acute, chronic misting? Titanium poisoning? It's bumming me out, and I don't think I'm alone."

Don't know what "it" is, but it's definitely epidemic and also seems to be contagious. Best advice: skip over.

And this:

"If a person's primary hobby was arguing, I doubt they would be part of something like BPL to begin with, as the woods would presumably provide little enjoyment."

Not as a hobby, but (for some) perhaps a consequence of aging, and dawning senility might bring a tendency to talk to oneself. But no reason that those folks (if they admit the affliction) couldn't broaden their horizons -- like by talking to trees, for example.

Now, to the point:

"I propose a thread to remind us of what we share, and how we can go about enjoying those things while cultivating our better selves. Stories of on-trail kindnesses. Pictures of adorable pets."

I recall one time, about four decades ago, that I left my point-and-shoot camera by accident at the base of a pitch in the Tetons. Upon returning to the Jenny Lake Ranger Station later to sign out, I was amazed to find my camera being held safe there for its owner to claim.

Someone had rescued my camera and done the right thing, a nice gesture that I still recall after all these years.

In case you're out there somewhere, THANKS!

And kudos again to you, James for a great opening post!

JRS

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: A Truly Modest Proposal on 03/19/2009 18:34:58 MDT Print View

"First off, let me say that I will defend everyone's right to blind reflex contrarianism, non-constructive criticism, dogmatic orthodoxies, invidious lifestyle, racial, and nationalistic sterotypes, willful misinterpretation in the name of conflict escalation, hostility and condescension as a first resort, and ad hominem slurs"

I must have missed something very non-subtle, or not visited the right forums, but what is this post in reference too?

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

A Truly Modest Proposal on 03/19/2009 18:39:27 MDT Print View

The firearms post, I'm sure.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: A Truly Modest Proposal on 03/19/2009 19:07:57 MDT Print View

Oh, which one (or both)??

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Re: Re: A Truly Modest Proposal on 03/19/2009 19:12:34 MDT Print View

The one that is not being reintroduced here :)

So...Tim did a great job on converting my Golite Ultra into an under quilt for my hammock. Tim does really solid and fast work. I just got it back today, and I am excited to try it with my setup.

Joshua Gilbert
(joshcgil2) - F

Locale: Seattle
A Truly Modest Proposal on 03/19/2009 19:15:08 MDT Print View

That's cool Johnathan, I want to caontact him about making one for me

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

A truly modest proposal on 03/19/2009 19:22:09 MDT Print View

Both (note to self, order .223 brass). Anyway....by the time you do the hammock, tarp, pad, underquilt, overquilt, and whatever else it takes.....do you save any weight by hammocking? I just don't get it, enlighten me. Or is that a thread hijack? Seems a shame to get back to gear and backpacking.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: Re: Re: A Truly Modest Proposal on 03/19/2009 19:22:36 MDT Print View

"The one that is not being reintroduced here :)"

That's a shame, as I really can't fathom why that 'topic' was so offensive to some. If I can't even ask the question in chaff, I would cry violation of my first amendment ;)

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

A Truly Modest Proposal on 03/19/2009 19:24:20 MDT Print View

It's great in this case...this was the sharpie special Ultra I bought on swap from Tony for something like $45 shipped. Now it's a nice UQ. It has been reincarnated. It still needs to be washed to bring some loft back, but after I do that I'll shoot some photos.

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Re: A truly modest proposal on 03/19/2009 19:30:27 MDT Print View

Joe-
We need a hijack....(hammock)It's heavier, but since when do you care? Do I need to out you on your External Frame use? It's mostly a comfort thing. I have had one for years on my porch, but I am new to hammock camping.

Edited by anywayoutside on 03/19/2009 19:30:58 MDT.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: A Truly Modest Proposal on 03/19/2009 19:30:55 MDT Print View

Hey you guys, would you please stop talking about gear in the chaff section !

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

A Truly Modest Proposal on 03/19/2009 19:38:25 MDT Print View

Edited to prevent reality based bashing of a sacred cow.

Edited by skinewmexico on 03/20/2009 19:02:27 MDT.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: A Truly Modest Proposal on 03/19/2009 19:43:12 MDT Print View

What's wrong with external frames?