Do you take (wrinkle) protection on hikes?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Do you take (wrinkle) protection on hikes? on 03/19/2009 11:35:01 MDT Print View

Another thread on this forum asks about lightweight options for a generally heavy object that some contend would be of the utmost importance in a dire situation. I'm looking for feedback on a similar item.

As I'm sure many of you agree, there is no more dire, and indeed likely, situation that one might encounter on the trail than that of wrinkles. This problem has only been exacerbated by the advent of crisp-collared trekking shirts like BPL's Thorofare. I haven't yet had the opportunity to press on the trail, but have in other field situations, like my work with Habitat for Humanity:

I currently use a Black & Decker Steam Advantage iron, along with a Polder Deluxe Tabletop board:

The pair work like a dream, but weigh in at an ungodly 94 ounces. I still want the security of the setup, but want to know if I can go lighter while keeping the wrinkle-stopping power I need. Suggestions?

Edited by dsmontgomery on 03/19/2009 11:37:40 MDT.

rob wil
(AUradar) - F

Locale: FL Panhandle (aka LA)
again, I'm sorry on 03/19/2009 11:53:15 MDT Print View

again, I'm sorry.

I actually thought this forum would be a place where intelligent, experience people could be found to comment on a newbies question. I also thought people would be tolerant of other's views

boy was I wrong.

I would have never thought that a concern of a father dealing with what would be needed on a backcountry hike with a 7 yr old would be such a mocking issue. I mean good grief, at seven, he should be old enough to protect and take care of himself, what was I thinking?

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Re: again, I'm sorry on 03/19/2009 12:26:42 MDT Print View

Rob, I think you were unwittingly caught up in the cross fire of what has long been a hot issue on this forum. It would be wrong to take criticisms of guns on that thread as having anything to do with your question. This forum is a great place to get input on the practicality of a wide range of gear options, but guns, and oddly enough toilet paper, are not among them.

As it is, I was not attempting to respond to your question which is why a started a new thread here in "Chaff". You have me dead to rights on the fact that I was making a satire of the thread. But that's not my primary concern - I'm interested in irons. I have many compatriots that share my passion [EIB website].

rob wil
(AUradar) - F

Locale: FL Panhandle (aka LA)
okay on 03/19/2009 13:41:02 MDT Print View

okay, good to go, :beer (i know we don't have smiley's, but just in case)

I'll also be warned about TP.

I thought there would be objections to guns, but never dreamed it would be that bad.

I would have never dreamed about TP.

For the record, I'll have TP on my trip. Gun may or may not.

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Re: okay on 03/19/2009 14:20:39 MDT Print View

Glad to hear. But I was serious about the TP - keep that hush-hush! :)