Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Backpacking in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park Photo Essay

Display Avatars Sort By:
Addie Bedford
(addiebedford) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Backpacking in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park Photo Essay on 03/17/2009 16:14:06 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Backpacking in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park Photo Essay

Peter Atkinson
(sewing_machine) - MLife

Locale: Yorkshire, England
Backpacking in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park Photo Essay on 03/18/2009 02:34:20 MDT Print View

Fantastic - I love the contrasts of the moorland bleakness to the rich green forests... of the blue skies to the grey... all typical Scotland!

Michael Landman
(malndman) - F

Locale: Central NC, USA
Re: Backpacking in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park Photo Essay on 03/18/2009 06:40:32 MDT Print View

Can something be done to fix this article's formatting when viewed in Firefox (ver 3.0.7)? It is just a series of thumbnails on the right side of the browser within a narrow column of text. It is no better in IE 6 sp3.

Thanks

Chris Townsend
(Christownsend) - MLife

Locale: Cairngorms National Park
Backpacking in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park Photo Essay on 03/18/2009 06:50:15 MDT Print View

Michael, click on the first thumbnail and you can then view the images in succession in a larger size with the captions.

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Locale: Western Australia
Definately formatting issues on 03/18/2009 06:57:23 MDT Print View

Tried on 2 PC, with three monitors and there is definately a formatting issue.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Backpacking in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park Photo Essay on 03/18/2009 07:48:17 MDT Print View

Chris, great photos. I love reading these "trip reports". It's neat to see all the different landscapes out there. One question, what's with all the water (3 'platipi' by your tent)? Were there no reliable sources?

Chris Townsend
(Christownsend) - MLife

Backpacking in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park Photo Essay on 03/18/2009 08:00:55 MDT Print View

Steven, glad you liked the report. Thanks. There were two reasons for all the water. Firstly although there is more than enough water in the valley and on the flanks of the mountain there isn't much high up so if I'd camped near the summit as planned I'd have needed to carry water up there. However in the Highlands I usually carry enough water containers for an overnight camp so that if the weather is wet, which it often is, I don't have to leave the tent to get more water.

Robert Kuhnert
(bkuhnert1) - F
photography on 03/18/2009 10:21:19 MDT Print View

Rocky Mountain High

Terrific photos Chris, I could feel and smell the earthyness in the photo of the forest floor.
Thanks, Bob

Michael Landman
(malndman) - F

Re: Backpacking in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park Photo Essay on 03/18/2009 10:23:54 MDT Print View

I love the piece BTW, exclusive of the formatting.

Take a look at your code. You have a table (<div>) with a style of 150 pixels, formatted to the right. Just put it in paragraph format (

) instead.

</div>

Chris Townsend
(Christownsend) - MLife

Backpacking in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park Photo Essay on 03/18/2009 10:35:18 MDT Print View

Michael, glad you like it anyway! The formatting isn't my field, I just provided the photos and words. I don't know who did the design and layout.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Backpacking in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park Photo Essay on 03/18/2009 10:53:47 MDT Print View

Ahh, I figured such. But if it is that wet, couldn't you just hold your cup out the door of your tent... :)

Kathy A Handyside
(earlymusicus) - M

Locale: Southeastern Michigan
It's On My Life-List Now! on 03/18/2009 10:59:19 MDT Print View

Thanks, Chris, for a beautiful photo essay! As my family heritage is Scottish, I especially loved seeing some of my ancestral homeland.

By the way, do you or anyone here at B.P.L. know of a book that gives information on backpacking in other countries? Information about any requirements of registering your backpacking equipment with Customs beforehand, regs about what you can and can't take, that sort of thing?

Kathy Handyside

Chris Townsend
(Christownsend) - MLife

Backpacking in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park Photo Essay on 03/18/2009 11:16:47 MDT Print View

Kathy, I don't know of a book like that but there's no problem taking backpacking equipment into other countries other than possible hassles with flying with some types of stove. I've never heard of anyone having to register any backpacking equipment.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Re Backpacking in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs on 03/18/2009 12:08:05 MDT Print View

As always, nice photos Chris. I can't believe you picked the only 2 wet days in Scotland that year for your trip though! ;)

Addie Bedford
(addiebedford) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Gallery formatting on 03/18/2009 13:40:40 MDT Print View

We commonly post photo essays in gallery (not inline with the text) mode to better display the photography. Simply click on the first photo to bring up the gallery, which you can then click through, one by one.

If anyone has further trouble or questions, don't hesitate to submit a support issue and I can better answer questions in that medium!
Thanks,
Addie

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Backpacking in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park Photo Essay on 03/18/2009 19:22:44 MDT Print View

Fantastic photo essay! Thanks for your continuing efforts.

Your past articles were an inspiration for me to start spending time out in the cold and wet this winter. Have really enjoyed it.

Michael Landman
(malndman) - F

Re: Backpacking in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park Photo Essay on 03/19/2009 07:02:25 MDT Print View

Great place, beautiful lakes and setting. The Inn looked like a really nice place to start a hike from.

All in all, just stunning. Thanks for the report.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Backpacking in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park Photo Essay on 03/19/2009 08:54:44 MDT Print View

Chris, thanks! What I really enjoy about the photo essays you've done is that we get to enjoy your photography and experiences... along with invoking memories of similar trips. I think it's human nature to search for common links. Reading and viewing this essay made me remember a thunderstorm in the Boundary Waters many years ago. Huge banks of black clouds were boiling across the lake toward us, spewing huge lightning bolts in all directions. I lay sprawled out on a boulder with my tripod legs all askew, shielding the camera somewhat with my torso from the rain between flashes, and a silnylon stuff sack with a hole cut out of the bottom (for the lens) flapping away. It was magnificent, but I hadn't thought about it for a long time. Thanks!
Brad

Dwight Mauk
(melnik) - M
The pictured tent on 03/19/2009 09:29:28 MDT Print View

Hi Chris, great photos.

Is that a Warmlite tent? How did it do? How did you like it? I'm really curious about condensation in these tents, as I'm thinking of buying one, but I don't suppose 60-mph winds are a fair environment to test condensation.

Steven Nelson
(slnsf) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Beautiful... on 03/19/2009 11:49:12 MDT Print View

Absolutely beautiful photos, Chris. Makes me want to visit there, and rivals my home base of the Adirondacks for fall beauty.

Also would love to see a report on the Stephenson - is one in the works?

- Steve